walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

non-secret but obscure shelters in the Cairngorms

non-secret but obscure shelters in the Cairngorms

Postby walkingpoles » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:07 pm

My plan for my next trip to the highlands is to check out some of the more doubtful sleeping options in the Cairngorms while munroing left and right.

Apart from the officially known bothies and the secret howff I have the Shelter stone and the Smith-Winram Bivouac on my list.
The Garbh Choire Refuge is apparently not dry enough to be sensible for staying over night.

Are there some more places that can be used to spend a night in relative comfort?

Please don't share secrets in this thread.

And in case you meet a bloke in May which you can smell before you can see him, say hi. That will be me. :D
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Re: non-secret but obscure shelters in the Cairngorms

Postby Cantab » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:57 am

I’ve never stayed there but there is “Davie’s Bourach” in the upper reaches of Glen Doll, it’s marked on the Harvey maps as something else iirc (sorry the relevant map is 200+ miles away at the moment so I can’t check). It’s mentioned in the Bothy Bible on pg 172. Another basic emergency shelter but I believe it to be watertight.
Cantab
Mountain Walker

Munros:259   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:05 pm

There's also the Smith-Dey Bivouac at the foot of the dividing buttress between Garbh Choire Mhor and GC Daidh. But it is rather snug. And given the amount of snow this winter, it may be well into spring or even early summer before it's above the snow.
Incidentally, there's a bit of history about the Smith-Winram here - https://cairngormwanderer.wordpress.com/2011/10/08/the-not-so-secret-howff/
I suspect the Smith-Dey dates back to about the same time.
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Munros:125   Corbetts:16

Postby walkingpoles » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:20 pm

Cairngormwanderer wrote:There's also the Smith-Dey Bivouac at the foot of the dividing buttress between Garbh Choire Mhor and GC Daidh.

Thanks for replying. I hoped you'd chime in. :D I'll make sure to pass by Smith-Dey even if I don't plan to stay a night there. I'll make the exact plans about which mountains and which shelters in what sequence only shortly before leaving home, so that I have an idea about snow levels.

Thanks, Cantab, for mentioning Davies Bourach. It looks nice. I'll leave the southern Cairngorm alone this time, but I still have some unfinished business there. I'll be back there before long.
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:13 pm

Thanks, Cantab, for mentioning Davies Bourach. It looks nice. I'll leave the southern Cairngorm alone this time, but I still have some unfinished business there. I'll be back there before long.

Davie's Bourach is a bit manky from what I recall.
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Munros:125   Corbetts:16

Postby Guinessman » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:17 pm

Cairngormwanderer wrote:
Thanks, Cantab, for mentioning Davies Bourach. It looks nice. I'll leave the southern Cairngorm alone this time, but I still have some unfinished business there. I'll be back there before long.[/quote]

Davie's Bourach is a bit manky from what I recall.[/quote]

Straw on the floor last time I went by if I recall right.
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion