walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Learning to read maps

Re: Learning to read maps

Postby Outnabout » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:34 pm

Mal Grey wrote:
Outnabout wrote:I used the view/print maps link on this site

Are you in 1:25k scale? Depending on the route, I think the Walkhighland maps will choose the zoom automatically rather than choose the actual scale. If so, to get the right scale, and have the contours spaced to be visible, might take a bit of trial and error, and need a few sheets of A4 to cover it. What route are you trying to print?

It was my wife who printed it at work, what she gave me is hopeless. The route I was trying to get is the Merrick via loch troll.
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Munros:45   Corbetts:16
Fionas:18   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:54 pm

I see. Yes, that's defaulting to the open source mapping and, as its a north to south route, shrinking the map to fit the whole route on it, thus reducing the scale and putting the contours really close together and their already faint on open source.

I'm not sure if there's an easy way to print this out in OS 1:25k, as zooming in to get that scale leaves with only a small part of the route, but zoomed in too closely. I've never printed from this site directly, so I'm afraid I'm a bit stuck mate. I can make it work on OS Maps, but not on WH.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Outnabout » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:06 pm

Mal Grey wrote:I see. Yes, that's defaulting to the open source mapping and, as its a north to south route, shrinking the map to fit the whole route on it, thus reducing the scale and putting the contours really close together and their already faint on open source.

I'm not sure if there's an easy way to print this out in OS 1:25k, as zooming in to get that scale leaves with only a small part of the route, but zoomed in too closely. I've never printed from this site directly, so I'm afraid I'm a bit stuck mate. I can make it work on OS Maps, but not on WH.

If you don't mind mate how would you make it work on OS Maps?
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Munros:45   Corbetts:16
Fionas:18   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:13 pm

Pretty much the way I badly explained a few posts back.

I'll drop you a PM in a sec.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Moray Mountaineer » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:29 pm

I learned to use a map and compass from these short videos on Youtube from Ordnance Survey. I thought they were really great and I even taught my friends how to use the map and compass.
Moray Mountaineer
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:5   

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion