walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Bennachie - 11 Peaks Route

Bennachie - 11 Peaks Route

Postby J4MRU » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:59 am

Hi all,

I’m new here and to the hills. I have spent quite a bit of time looking at WH website and it’s been so helpful, from the walk reports to the routes it has been brilliant.

In June this year it is my wife and I’s 10th wedding anniversary so I have decided to do something a bit different. In 2008, we were wed at Pittodrie House in Chapel of Garioch. She has expressed an interest in joining me on some long walks and perhaps even some ascents, eventually. As a result of this I had an idea to walk Bennachie then at some point, surprise her with Dinner, Bed & Breakfast at our wedding venue from all of those years ago. I have spent the last few evenings working out the logistics of my plan!

I have a question to anyone who is familiar with Bennachie (and more specifically) the surrounding area. I plan on doing the above route, which I actually found on another ‘route site’ whilst looking for something else.
From the Bennachie Centre there are two routes to walk that takes you to Pittodrie House hotel and I am trying to find out if the road that follows the tree line of Bennachie, going past Newbiggings Farms right up into the back of Pittodrie House (she will recognise the front!!) has any sort of view of the hotel?

I want to leave it as late as possible in the day to spoil the surprise. Ideally, I will wander up to the rear of the building and watch her realise where we are when she sees the front. It’s not fool proof but I’m giving it my best shot.

Thanks in advance,
A Sneaky Hubby (Jamie) 8)
J4MRU
Mountain Walker

Munros:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:1
Walk wish-list

Re: Bennachie - 11 Peaks Route

Postby Scottk » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:45 pm

The Rowantree car park access road runs past the back of Pittodrie house. You can't see the hotel but there are signs for it.
It is now the only car park which isn't pay and display. It has toilets open from April to September as well. It's a different route than the one you proposed but might have more chance of surprising her with the added benefit of the path up being more gradual.
It's a good side to go up from as you can turn off towards Craigshannoch and Oxen Crag then Watch Craig and Hermit Seat. I then head towards the Gordon Way path and pick that up to take me to the point between Millstone and Mither Tap. This is the hardest part up Millstone and then back and up Mither Tap. Long day out with not many chances to get water. There is a burn as you come down the GordonWay.
Long day. Hope she doesn't fall asleep at dinner.
Cheers, Scott
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby J4MRU » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:50 pm

Hi Scott,

Cheers for that. So I should maybe consider dumping the car and starting at the Rowantree Car Park then? Is it easy enough to walk into the grounds of the hotel from that road? I don’t mind loupin’ the fence but don’t want to get into trouble!

I don’t mind it being a different route from this 11 peaks one, starting to think our fitness levels might not allow it, so perhaps Oxen Craig, Mither Tap and Craigshannoch will be enough especially if we are having a few drinks in the evening.
J4MRU
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby rodderss » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:57 pm

Jamie.
What's the 11 peak route.i only thought there were 5

Thanks
rodderss

Munros:47   Corbetts:15
Fionas:8   
Sub 2000:29   
Islands:2

Postby J4MRU » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:08 pm

I’ll get the computer on and copy it over this evening. The distance was between 14/15 miles I think.
J4MRU
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby J4MRU » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:10 pm

rodderss wrote:Jamie.
What's the 11 peak route.i only thought there were 5

Thanks

Rodderss,

Here is the link to it. I think credit goes to ‘Cosmic Hillbashers’ for the route.

https://www.plotaroute.com/route/252513
J4MRU
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby jmarkb » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:51 pm

J4MRU wrote:Here is the link to it. I think credit goes to ‘Cosmic Hillbashers’ for the route.

Note that that route starts and finishes on top of Mither Tap! There's a lot of potentially dispiriting descent and reascent to include Millstone Hill. https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/aberdeenshire/complete-bennachie.shtml is a bit more sensible.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby J4MRU » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:07 pm

jmarkb wrote:
J4MRU wrote:Here is the link to it. I think credit goes to ‘Cosmic Hillbashers’ for the route.

Note that that route starts and finishes on top of Mither Tap! There's a lot of potentially dispiriting descent and reascent to include Millstone Hill. https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/aberdeenshire/complete-bennachie.shtml is a bit more sensible.

The route does actually start at the Bennachie centre when you click into it but for some reason it is only showing the start/finish at Mither Tap. There was a banner at the Bennachie centre on the map when you interrogate the route on that site.
J4MRU
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby rodderss » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:36 pm

Thanks jamie.

Have done the 5 as per walk highlands , it's a cracking walk and peaceful when you get away from mither tap.

Will have a look at your link.cheers
rodderss

Postby Scottk » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:54 pm

Hi Jamie,
The road to the car park passes the rear entrance to the hotel (delivery entrance). Only about 200m from the car park.
The 3 tops from Rowantree is 10k (Oxen Craig, Craigshannoch and Mither Tap).
The full round is about 25k and 1000m ascent-decent walk!
Cheers, Scott
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby J4MRU » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:30 am

Brilliant, cheers for all of the advise folks, I appreciate it.

Jamie
J4MRU
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby Ben Nachie » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:03 am

I believe that if you drive to the Rowantree from the north you just about avoid seeing the sign for the delivery entrance to the hotel.

I also think that if you descend the Maiden Causeway to just north of the 286m spot height on the OS 1:25000 map, you can take the path through the woods to the back entrance of the hotel, again with no signs.

I've never actually taken that path so can't be 100% sure, but I reckon it's the best approach for the hotel not to be recognised.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby rodderss » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:42 pm

Just back from bennachie today and if you drive in off the a96 there's no chance of not seeing the sign at Rowantree

Mither tap was busy today.great to see so many kids
rodderss

Postby sprintster » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:22 pm

If you drive up to Rowantree car park you'll pass a couple of signs for the hotel.Another option would be to park at the Back o' Bennachie,Oyne and climb up to Oxen Craig and on to Mither Tap.From Mither Tap head back down the Maiden Causeway towards the Rowantree car park but take the path on the right at spot height 286 to take you into the back of the hotel.
sprintster
Mountaineer

Munros:125   Corbetts:23
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby sprintster » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:44 pm

I should have added for a longer walk you could first take in Watch Craig from Back o' Bennachie. Good views from there and you rarely meet anyone else.
sprintster
Mountaineer

Munros:125   Corbetts:23
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:8   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion