walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Will we have enough light?

Will we have enough light?

Postby Outnabout » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:11 am

We are planning to do the hartfell ridge horshoe near moffat on Saturday starting no later than 1.30pm. It will be my wife and I and our two kids 7 & 10 this will only be our second hill together, we are a pretty active bunch but are worried ( well the wife will be) we might be a bit tight for daylight. Are there any newbies or experience walkers who have done this route who could give a realistic timescale to expect. Many thanks.
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Munros:45   Corbetts:16
Fionas:18   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Re: Will we have enough light?

Postby kaye.cantlay » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:34 am

We walked the walkhighlands route - 8.5 miles - in fairly soft deep snow in 5h on Jan 1st a few years ago.
We didnt really have any big stops though as the weather was pretty poor.
Oviously I don't know your pace, but you'll have daylight until about 8:30pm so 7h to get round which should be ample.
kaye.cantlay
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:158   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:31   Hewitts:205
Wainwrights:214   Islands:60

Postby Outnabout » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:58 pm

kaye.cantlay wrote:We walked the walkhighlands route - 8.5 miles - in fairly soft deep snow in 5h on Jan 1st a few years ago.
We didnt really have any big stops though as the weather was pretty poor.
Oviously I don't know your pace, but you'll have daylight until about 8:30pm so 7h to get round which should be ample.

Even though the kids are quite young, they are very active and quick on their feet, it may be their mother that holds us back :lol: so I reckon we can keep a reasonable pace, weather permitting.
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Postby Fife Flyer » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:15 pm

Just to give some idea - time wise, we tackled the horseshoe in December last year in soft deep snow and no visibility on the ridge, took us just under 6 hours and we are all experienced walkers. The first time I did it a couple of years ago in great weather and excellent conditions it took me 4.5hrs.
I presume you have looked at previous walk reports on here, if you haven't I recommend you do. If you do the route clockwise the initial climb is steep and I would anticipate snow on the ridge and probably on the lower slopes.
If you are at all concerned about the amount of light available, why not look at other hills like White Coomb ascending next to Grey Mares Tail waterfall?
Wherever you go enjoy.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Giant Stoneater » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:19 pm

You don't say which horseshoe of Hartfell,no matter which way you go i would set off a good bit earlier than 1.30pm so you enjoy it and are not rushing it,allow at least 6hrs.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Outnabout » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:01 am

Fife Flyer wrote:Just to give some idea - time wise, we tackled the horseshoe in December last year in soft deep snow and no visibility on the ridge, took us just under 6 hours and we are all experienced walkers. The first time I did it a couple of years ago in great weather and excellent conditions it took me 4.5hrs.
I presume you have looked at previous walk reports on here, if you haven't I recommend you do. If you do the route clockwise the initial climb is steep and I would anticipate snow on the ridge and probably on the lower slopes.
If you are at all concerned about the amount of light available, why not look at other hills like White Coomb ascending next to Grey Mares Tail waterfall?
Wherever you go enjoy.
yes I've looked at the walk reports and they range from 5-10hours, obviously this is person/experience and weather conditions dependant. I would like to start earlier but work commitments don't allow it. Can this route be cut short it needed or is it a case of once started you need to keep going. We were out on the hills at loch doon on Thursday night and it was light until 9pm, these were only minor hills and don't really want to be out on bigger hills with the kids at darkness.
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Postby Outnabout » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:28 am

Giant Stoneater wrote:You don't say which horseshoe of Hartfell,no matter which way you go i would set off a good bit earlier than 1.30pm so you enjoy it and are not rushing it,allow at least 6hrs.
it's the hartfell ridge horseshoe route mentioned on this site near moffat. I would love to start earlier but work commitments don't allow it. I will have a look at the weather before I set off its not good will either head down to the Merrick and do that again or postpone the walk for another day.
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Postby Outnabout » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:17 pm

Was going to be closer to 2pm before we got on the hills so decided against it, would've done it myself but not taking the risk having the kids out till darkness in the miserable weather. So we headed to the Merrick done it a couple of weeks ago solo so knew the route and timescale, all in all a wet day but good fun up and down in just over 5 hours now sitting having a wee drink with a chippy.
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Postby kaye.cantlay » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:31 pm

Well done!
I was near Hart Fell yesterday and although the morning was fine, the rain started from about 2pm....
And the ground was really wet!!
kaye.cantlay
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:158   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:31   Hewitts:205
Wainwrights:214   Islands:60

Postby Outnabout » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:29 am

kaye.cantlay wrote:Well done!
I was near Hart Fell yesterday and although the morning was fine, the rain started from about 2pm....
And the ground was really wet!!
Was definitely the right decision want to encourage them about the outdoors, not sicken them due to a poor decisions about time and the weather. Will look at tackling that route next Sunday, no work so up early and away
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion