walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Long walk in May

Long walk in May

Postby Lunatyk » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:45 am

Hi,
I'm looking for a route for a over week long trekking - +/-10 days. First I thought we (me and my wife) can make a loop from The Cape Wrath Trail - Start with Glenfinnan Variant and than come back to Fort William with Great Glen Variant and maybe make some off route hikes. However I found that the Carnoch bridge is removed (many thanks for that information) and the whole plans goes.. you know where...

Do you have any ideas where can we go? I'm asking only because there are so so many beautiful places and maybe someone with experience could help to choose a nice walk with wonderful scenery. It would be nice if there will be any transport and some "escape" routes if we need that. Maybe some places where we can buy food after few days.

Do you know a good site where I can check weather conditions in Highlands? What about snow? I know that there was a lot of it this year.

Every help is appreciate.
Lunatyk
Munro compleatist

Corbetts:1

Re: Long walk in May

Postby Sjiep » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:54 pm

I've mostly used http://www.mwis.org.uk/scottish-forecast to check what the heavens have in store for us on short-term basis. Find it pretty good.

But with 10 days you have so many options to go frolicking about in the Highlands sheesh. Perhaps the Skye Trail and from there make your way Shiel Bridge by bus or hitchhining and walk down the CWT to Barrisdale Bay and continuing to Inverie on Knoydart? Ferry + train back to civilization from there.

You have an account here now, so use the maps available to plan ahead and look for alternative options.
Sjiep
Hill Bagger

Munros:1   

Postby Lunatyk » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:19 am

Hi, thank you for answer. The idea with ferry and train from Mallaig is great.
I'm thinking also about part of Scottish National Route with some changes. From Blair Atholl to Aviemore.
However I'm not sure yet which direction to choose. We want to start at 1st of May and I'm not shire where will be better weather conditions, less snow etc. we will not have winter equipment with us :|

Yes, since I have an account I don't do anything else but planning, reading etc ;)
Lunatyk
Munro compleatist

Postby Sjiep » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:20 pm

For ending up in Aviemore perhaps an option is to head towards the Corrour bothy once you reach Bynack Lodge and then doing the Lairig Ghru.

I don't know the current snow situation in the various regions but if you have Facebook, you might want to check the Scottish Hill Walking & Wild Camping page. Many daily posts including pictues of people who hiked all throughout the Highlands. Would give you a good notion of where there currently is snow, and where it's (relatively) snow-free. No guarantee there won't be any new snow between now and May-1 though :)
Sjiep
Hill Bagger

Munros:1   

Postby Lunatyk » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:00 pm

Thank you for another nice place about scottish walks:) !
Lunatyk
Munro compleatist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion