walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Hiking possible Flodigarry - Quiruing - Staffin in 4H?

Hiking possible Flodigarry - Quiruing - Staffin in 4H?

Postby Gioia221 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:21 pm

Hi there,
I'm coming in may to the Isle of Skye but with the bus. So I'm very depended in that and I have a bit of a time problem I suppose haha
On the 10th of may I need to get the bus in Staffin at 12:25 so I can get the bus at Portree at 15:15.
My question is this: is it possible to hike from the hostel in Flodigarry to Quiruing and to the parking place (hopefully get a hike there and otherwise walk) to Staffin within 4 hours? I was planning to start walking at 07:30/08:00
If anyone can help me that would be so great!
I want to see Quiruing badly.

Thanks!
Gioia221
Scrambler

Re: Hiking possible Flodigarry - Quiruing - Staffin in 4H?

Postby Sgurr » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:18 pm

If you are thinking of hitching a lift, you might be lucky, but you might not. You are away from the main mountain area and the early risers and I wouldn't have thought many ordinary tourists set out before 9 a.m. since they are dependent on hotel or B & B breakfasts. However, there could be workers about who might help....or fellow hostelers.

Hope you manage it Quirang is very picturesque. Have you booked a hostel bed? All last year accommodation of any sort was booked well in advance on Skye giving rise to headlines "Skye is Full". I don't see why this year should be any different.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Mal Grey » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:17 pm

Not sure exactly where in Staffin you need to be, but Naismith's rule suggest about 2h 40 for the walk from Flodi, up to the Quiraing and then down the road to Staffin (9km ish total), which should leave time for a proper exploration, assuming you're a reasonably fit walker. (I used the Walk Highland map and plotted the route on it, which automatically gives you the Naismith's time).
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby headless spectre » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:11 pm

I have hitched on Skye in the past and Trotternish, Staffin and Portree is easy to hitch.
Locals and tourists stop (for me )!
headless spectre
Hill Bagger

Munros:12   Corbetts:1
Fionas:4   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion