walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Cape Wrath Trail questionh

Cape Wrath Trail questionh

Postby geoff cantrell » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:14 am

Hi and good morning all.
Going to the Forest Way hostel from the bothy at Lochivraon and am trying to confirm whether there is a bridge or bridges across the Abhainn Cuileig? I read in a blog that someone thought there was but they didn't find one and waded across. Looking on the map there appears to be something at NH191787, in the vicinity of the power station and a convenient road to follow. But there also appears to be another bridge at NH186777, but using all the wonders of satellite technology, I can't see it!
Any first hand knowledge would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Geoff
geoff cantrell
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:1

Re: Cape Wrath Trail questionh

Postby whiteburn » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:36 am

You're probably referring to my account.
I've come to the conclusion that the 'bridge' at NH192788 is probably an old ford, more easily seen on the older 50k map.
The track down to the hydro plant, shown on the more recent 25k map, didn't have an obvious route down to the 'ford' location. I crossed the Abhainn Cuileig adjacent to the hydro building, not difficult or deep but the rocks were pretty greasy; definitely worth getting the trail shoes wet rather than face the road walk (beware the high speed traffic on the Ullapool road). On the west bank there was a good fisherman's trail mown through the bracken for 2-300m to the track shown on the map.

If the FB at NH186777 does exist I personally don't think it would be of much practical use as it would entail 1.5km+ of rough going of the other side to get downstream.
whiteburn
Stravaiging

Postby geoff cantrell » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:26 am

Good morning, I was indeed referring to your account, thank you for replying and clarifying this crossing and may I say a greater thanks for your excellent route notes, they made the planning so much easier, especially this section and the hostel afterwards.
Cheers
Geoff
geoff cantrell
Mountaineer

Postby whiteburn » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:40 am

geoff cantrell wrote:Good morning, I was indeed referring to your account, thank you for replying and clarifying this crossing and may I say a greater thanks for your excellent route notes, they made the planning so much easier, especially this section and the hostel afterwards.
Cheers
Geoff

Thanks, enjoy the trip.
I found the first day north of Lael the toughest of the trip, probably down to carrying 7 days supplies, it could be quite 'interesting' in poor weather :lol:
whiteburn
Stravaiging

Postby Sgurr » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:53 pm

Enjoy your time at Forest Way. Its owner is a BBC Weather Watcher, and is always getting Editor's Picks for the fanrtastic photos he puts up on its site. The most recent being yesterday. You will have a great time if the weather remains.

Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby walkingpoles » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:18 am

If you like spectacular gorges and have a little energy to spare, you can stash your gear and have look at the Corrieshalloch Gorge. It's a small detour.

I crossed it on my way to the Cape, as lies very conveniantly between the Lochivraon and Glenbeg bothies. But I don't know how spectacular the gorge is where you'll cross it next to your hostel. Maybe I am the one who should have taken a detour.
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby jmarkb » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:03 pm

Looking at Google satellite imagery, it appears that the path/track marked on the OS 1:25k map that comes from Auchindrean and is shown as finishing at NH187790 does in fact continue to meet the A832 just west of the bridge at NH180769. This might be a reasonable alternative with less road walking?
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby geoff cantrell » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:44 pm

Thank you all, this is very good information, so have written notes and traced possible alternatives on the map and will see what I find on the day, almost anything is better than road walking, though sometimes needs must!
geoff cantrell
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion