walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Chaffing

Chaffing

Postby AndyATSmith » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:43 pm

Hi all,

After having done a couple of long days walking I started suffering from really bad chaffing between my legs and I wondered if anyone has any advice about how to deal with it. I'm a good number of stone overweight (partly the reason I'm trying to get out more walking is to lose weight) and I sweat an awful lot (I think due to the medication that I'm on) both of which won't be helping matters. What's the best underwear to wear? Boxers, y-fronts, briefs? What material? Can you get underwear that hugs the skin around your thighs but doesn't irritate it through rubbing? What do cyclists wear? I assume they could easily suffer from chaffing too. Would applying vaseline prior to walking help reduce friction? I've always worried that it would make your skin sticky, hence exacerbating the problem. I've always had very delicate skin between my legs so the chaffing can become really quite sore and even starts bleeding but I'm keen to attempt the West Highland Way over the summer so I need to find a way of dealing with it!

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Andy
AndyATSmith
Walker

Re: Chaffing

Postby Mojocat » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:00 pm

Hi, my son used to suffer from this. He now wears his Adidas 'skins', close fitting lycra shorts similar to cycling shorts but without the padding. They are designed for wearing under rugby or football kit, but make an ideal base layer for walking. He swears by them, not suffered any chaffing since using them, lots of brands available at all different price points from sports shops or online. I find many of the walking and outdoor trousers are tailored like 'old man's' trousers, too baggy and loose fitting, leaving room for your thighs to rub together. A good fitting pair of more technical cut trousers can make all the difference and don't need to cost a fortune. My current favourites are Regatta Sungari stretch trousers, fit like they were made for me, cost twenty quid!
Mojocat
Hill Bagger

Postby nick70 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:17 pm

I was going to say exactly what Mojocat has said. Adidas compression shorts Is what I use, I have 3 pairs. They are ideal for walking, very comfortable and quick wicking/drying. I have never experienced any form of chaffing whilst wearing these.

Hope they work and best of luck with your walk, the WHW is awesome.
nick70

Postby larry groo » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:56 pm

Maybe try some Assos Chamois Cream.

I use it for road cycling and longer distance walks. It contains Menthol, so is also quite cooling and tingly!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/assos-chamois-cream-140ml/
larry groo

Postby onsen » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:42 pm

Something like 6inch or 9inch Underamour or exofficio boxer breifs....will stop the chafing. 3inch is too short.
Apply Lucas pawpaw ointment to heal that raw burning sensation...comes in a handy small tube.

Hope that helps...
onsen
Munro compleatist

Postby abbruce » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:22 pm

Rub E45 cream on the inside of your thighs, less sticky than vaseline & less expensive than chamois cream.

Good luck
abbruce
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:23
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:68   

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:25 pm

abbruce wrote:Rub E45 cream on the inside of your thighs, less sticky than vaseline & less expensive than chamois cream.

Good luck

Ditto
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby rgallie » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:48 am

Under Armour boxers...about £15 a pair but will reduce it massivley and worth it...i went form suffering from days of pain after a walk to nothing
rgallie
Munro compleatist

Munros:69   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:55 am

Those used to my ranting may expect me to recommend amputation of both legs, but that would be silly. Simply amputate ONE of your legs and Hey Presto! No more chaffing!
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby DarrenJeffrey » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:39 am

I can echo the previous comments when it comes to under armour (or equivalent) skin tight boxers. Makes the world of difference
DarrenJeffrey
Munro compleatist

Munros:141   Corbetts:10
Fionas:8   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:20   

Postby DarrenJeffrey » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:40 am

Also to help "after" the event I would recommend sudocrem. Having worked in professional kitchens in my earlier years this stuff is magic for a condition known in that industry as chefs @rse :-)
DarrenJeffrey
Munro compleatist

Munros:141   Corbetts:10
Fionas:8   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:20   

Postby asbotastic » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:29 pm

Hi,

Used to get this.....oh man!!!

Skin tight cycling type shorts help. At it's worst, vaseline was the only stuff that gave me relief... anti chaffing cream was a poor substitute. Generally sweating is the main cause but the barrier good old Vaseline gives sorts it out for you - and only 50p for a wee pot.
asbotastic
Hill Bagger

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:10   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:1

Postby davekeiller » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:22 pm

I've found that modal rather than cotton underwear is better (and not too expensive, it's available in M&S). It's a bamboo based fibre which wicks sweat more effectively than cotton.
Also consider the cut and weight of your trousers. Montane Terra pants are quite popular and I've found them lightweight and comfortable and a definite improvement on Craghopper Kiwis. Lighter weight trousers mean you might not sweat so much, and if they have vents that helps keep you a bit cooler. Also consider the seams - a diamond crotch can be quite helpful as it means there are no seams in the groin.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby CharlesT » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:10 pm

Lanacane anti-chafing cream is better than vaseline and non-greasy.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby AndyATSmith » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:42 pm

Thanks all for your helpful advice - it's much appreciated :D Though I might pass on your suggestion Caberfeidh :wink: Saying that, depending on how my legs feel after attempting the WHW, it might seem a good idea!

Andy
AndyATSmith
Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion