walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

2018 Midge & tick watch

Re: 2018 Midge & tick watch

Postby Alteknacker » Fri May 25, 2018 2:23 pm

Picked up one tiny tick while in the Rough Bounds last week.

There were midges visible in the undergrowth but I wasn't bitten because there was a breeze the whole time.

However, I was bitten in about 20 places by something I didn't spot, and this in locations pretty well all over my body. The effect was to create slightly red lumps with in some cases a septic head top, that began to itch like crazy after about 24 hours, and are still itchy now a week later. Has anyone any idea what they might be???
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Alteknacker » Fri May 25, 2018 2:24 pm

Picked up one tiny tick while in the Rough Bounds last week. Neither I nor the CEO found any others.

There were midges visible in the undergrowth but I wasn't bitten because there was a breeze the whole time.

However, I was bitten in about 20 places by something I didn't spot, and this in locations pretty well all over my body. The effect was to create slightly red lumps with in some cases a septic head top, that began to itch like crazy after about 24 hours, and are still itchy now a week later. Has anyone any idea what they might be???
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Guinessman » Sat May 26, 2018 12:04 pm

Sounds like a cleggy,a horsefly Alteknacker
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby Jon and Jen » Sun May 27, 2018 11:49 am

Alteknacker wrote:Picked up one tiny tick while in the Rough Bounds last week. Neither I nor the CEO found any others.

Same here after camping at Loch Etricht must have 20+ bites all over my body. I attribute one to a horsefly. I felt it bite on the way up Ben Alder. I know that nip well. The others I'm attributing to the little sod that I found in my sleeping bag in the morning, it looked like a wee fly but it moved like a flea. Pinging about like a mad thing. I managed to stun it with a slap eventually and it looked like a big flea, then it was off again. :roll:

Caught a big tick crawling on the floor of the tent and put it out. Missed the two that Jen just removed from my scrotum though. Again! :evil:

No idea what the fascination with that particular spot is but it's getting tiresome.
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Mal Grey » Sun May 27, 2018 12:18 pm

Too much information!!!! The little buggers do seem to like those parts though, as I have found before :shock:

Its not just up there that the little critters are out and eating. This week, down here in Surrey, I've been midged (nowt like Scotland though), mozzied multiple times (these are a bugger in the wetter woodlands at the mo, and itch for a week or more with a big red patch on me), and ticked on my arm. I'm one up on the horseflies, though, got one before it got me.

The insects are taking over the world. Itching as I type. :crazy:
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon May 28, 2018 1:16 pm

Well, un-P.C. though it is to say so, I am glad to see a lot of moors on fire throughout the highlands right now. Think of all the ticks, cleggs and midgies getting incinerated. So long as no-one else gets frazzled, I'm happy.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby denfinella » Mon May 28, 2018 11:39 pm

Happy to report no midges, ticks or clegs over a whole week of walking on Harris, often on pathless terrain. Probably a bit breezy for the former.
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby BlackPanther » Tue May 29, 2018 8:32 am

First midges of the year for us yesterday on Beinn Mhanach, only a few but attacking even in full sunshine. I was also bitten by a cleg, the nasty b**er got to my leg through my trousers. The madness season is well under way.

Surprisingly, no ticks so far!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby rockhopper » Thu May 31, 2018 10:06 pm

Biting midges west Loch Quoich/Kinloch Hourn over the last couple of days in the evening when the wind dropped........have just dug a tick out of my stomach and am on the look out for any more :roll: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby ceaser » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:37 pm

Midges were out in force and biting at fisherfield Thursday night / Friday walk
ceaser
Walker

Munros:90   Corbetts:51
Fionas:6   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby Essan » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:40 pm

Just back from 8 nights in the Cairngorms (Feshie-Geldie-Lairig an Laiogh) in warm, sunny, weather with calm nights and I can report zero ticks and midges were only noticeable near Kingussie on the last night. Also no clegs.

But did get bitten by one mosquito :o (killed the b*gger after the act)
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Postby crfishwick » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:15 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:Well, un-P.C. though it is to say so, I am glad to see a lot of moors on fire throughout the highlands right now. Think of all the ticks, cleggs and midgies getting incinerated. So long as no-one else gets frazzled, I'm happy.

Plus ground nesting birds and all other fauna and flora? :shock: :shock:
crfishwick

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:08 pm

Went to Dobbies in Monifieth yesterday - had a tick checking out my arm when I got home but was able to just flick it off :shock: :shock: :shock:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:08 pm

crfishwick wrote:
Caberfeidh wrote:Well, un-P.C. though it is to say so, I am glad to see a lot of moors on fire throughout the highlands right now. Think of all the ticks, cleggs and midgies getting incinerated. So long as no-one else gets frazzled, I'm happy.

Plus ground nesting birds and all other fauna and flora? :shock: :shock:

Yeh, ok I was trying not to think about that. The flora can grow back quickly. The wee beasties have a hard time of it though. Just a thought ~ with all these wild fires going on, has anyone checked for dragons?

The Hobbit 3 003#r.jpg
Has anyone checked for dragons?
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Driftwood » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:36 pm

I don't know whether I am especially tasty this year, but the ticks have been swarming. I've removed 8 so far, all still small, after a few walks and several nights' camping fairly near Crianlarich.

Plenty of midges too, with the warm, close evenings and mornings. I found a toad, luckily safe and well, had been in the outer part of my tent this morning. Hopefully they enjoyed a midge breakfast. :lol:
Driftwood
Mountain Walker

Munros:244   Corbetts:60
Fionas:35   Donalds:27+23
Sub 2000:19   

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion