walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Spring conditions... or still winter?

Spring conditions... or still winter?

Postby sking40 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:53 pm

I'm coming to Bridge of Orchy this weekend (20th April) for some Munro bagging and wild camping (maybe even bivvying instead of tent for the first time, while the midges are still not there...) between there and Crianlarich. Question is, what are the conditions like on the tops? There is probably a bit more thawing in the coming couple of days... Does this mean icy snow? I wasn't going to bring an axe, but do I need to get my crampons back out of the attic?
sking40
Munro compleatist

Munros:242   

Re: Spring conditions... or still winter?

Postby Arthurs Eat » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:58 pm

Snow was soft on the main Gulvain ridge last weekend.
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:17   Donalds:38
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Postby jmarkb » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:13 pm

sking40 wrote:I'm coming to Bridge of Orchy this weekend (20th April) for some Munro bagging and wild camping (maybe even bivvying instead of tent for the first time, while the midges are still not there...) between there and Crianlarich. Question is, what are the conditions like on the tops? There is probably a bit more thawing in the coming couple of days... Does this mean icy snow? I wasn't going to bring an axe, but do I need to get my crampons back out of the attic?

I would expect the snow cover to be patchy and soft, though a refreeze is possible if we get some clear nights. You should be OK if you are sensible about your route choices (i.e. avoid steep, high, shady terrain such as the NE side of Cruach Ardrain), though I might be inclined to take an axe with me just to be sure.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby mrssanta » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:13 pm

If you need the crampons you'll need the axe as well
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby weaselmaster » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:36 pm

We were up creag mhor/beinn heasgarnich on sunday. still lots of (rather slushy) snow about over 700m, icy patches under the snow. Didn't need crampons but were very glad of our axes.
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:195   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby abbruce » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:43 pm

I was in Tyndrum last week & climbed 7 munros around Bridge of Orchy & Glen Etive.

Snow level was typically over 750m & soft. We used ice axes every day for stability & put crampons on once (cloud was right down & although soft, the snow was slippy).

I'd expect the snow line to be higher, but the snow softer now.

In addition the first 250ish m of every hill was wet & boggy.

Enjoy
abbruce
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:23
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:68   

Postby williamparis » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:24 pm

Was on Ben Cruachan last week - snow was very soft - a walk report put it best "like walking on wet sugar". Even with axe it was exhausting work and in wet snow crampons are of limited use as purchase is more difficult.

I would suggest that until May still count at least the underfoot part of hillwalking as winter conditions. So you might be able to shed some layers but take your axe, crampons with you.

Not walked in a season quite like this - understand it's going to all freeze and snow again by mid-week next week.

Good luck!
williamparis
Munro compleatist

Munros:61   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:1

Postby sking40 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:06 pm

Thanks everyone, I've got the next few hours to digest your assessments, look at the weather forecasts and decide what to take with me and/or adjust my plans. I'm also trying to go lightweight as I will have to carry all this stuff a long way A to B...
sking40
Munro compleatist

Munros:242   

Postby Primalcarl » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:48 pm

I've spent the last week in the area of Ben Nevis and used the axe just once, for piece of mind and that was on Nevis itself (plenty of others were going up in trainers and tourist ponchos!)

Elsewhere the snow was limited to the very tops, and was melting fast
Primalcarl

Postby katyhills » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:00 pm

Primalcarl wrote:I've spent the last week in the area of Ben Nevis and used the axe just once, for piece of mind and that was on Nevis itself (plenty of others were going up in trainers and tourist ponchos!)

Elsewhere the snow was limited to the very tops, and was melting fast

There's more snow forecast for this week in many areas. Care still needed on higher hills for a little while yet!
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion