walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Mayar and Driesh conditions

Mayar and Driesh conditions

Postby williamparis » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:49 am

Hi folks, done these hills a couple of times but this time I'm bringing my daughters with me. Both have some beginner experience on the hills (Pentlands, Lomond, Ochills) and they're pretty tough.

But we don't have any winter equipment for them and after my failed Ben Cruachan ascent last week (made it to 825m but then horrid slippy wet slushy snow and fog hell!) I'm a tad worried about conditions.

Anyone know? Newest walk report is from 25 Jan.

Thanks again all!

Missouri Mountain Goat and the two tough Ponies.
(Dad and his hill climbin' daughters)
williamparis
Munro compleatist

Munros:61   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:1

Re: Mayar and Driesh conditions

Postby jmarkb » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:21 am

Nearest useful webcam is at Glenshee: https://www.ski-glenshee.co.uk/Webcam
There are still some big patches around high up. I wouldn't expect them to cause you much problem on Mayar and Driesh, other than wet feet, except possibly on the top section of the Kilbo path which crosses some steepish ground. Decent boots and gaiters will likely make the experience more pleasant.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Colinowl » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:39 am

Hi I was up two weeks ago. The ascent up the back of the Corrie was very hard but once at the top the going was fine.

Care needed on the path coming down from the top until you get in the woods, as snow had fallen over it making it quite tricky. I was lucky because there were a few people ahead of me and I was walking in their footsteps.

I only had a walking pole and Decathon cheap walking boots so you should be alright.

Corrie Fee.jpg

Mayar from Driesh.jpg

Path down from Driesh.jpg
Colinowl
Hill Bagger

Munros:19   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby NickyRannoch » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:32 pm

Still plenty snow this past weekend but thawing and the last two days have been very warm in Angus.

The caveat is the back of Coire Fee and the Kilbo Path can hold snow for a good long time while after it is gone everywhere else.

The Kilbo Path is utterly tedious in snow. You might prefer just to do Mayar and go up and down the same way.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby williamparis » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:55 pm

Thanks all - girls have poles and boots - I'll see if I can get them gaiters at Decathlon tomorrow.

Will
williamparis
Munro compleatist

Munros:61   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:1

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion