walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Are there any hills not suitable for dogs??

Are there any hills not suitable for dogs??

Postby clsmith1977 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:13 pm

Other than the Cuillins which require a bit of scrambling is anybody aware of any other hills which dogs would not manage for whatever reasons. I'd manage to throw my cocker in my rucksack I reckon worst case scenario but now also have a lab so no chance. Any advice accepted. Thanks
clsmith1977
Munro compleatist

Munros:96   Corbetts:8
Fionas:6   

Re: Are there any hills not suitable for dogs??

Postby Sgurr » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:39 pm

There are some hills (not the main trade routes up Munros) where you need to climb deer fences to progress. Unless you indulge in the sport of dog tossing, these are inadvisable. I have a friend who took her collie up all the Corbetts (including the Cobbler and the Arran ones in a harness) but wouldn't take her to Skye, not so much because of the scrambling but because the gabbro on the main ridge of the Cuillin is very unforgiving. If you are thinking of going off piste, detailed research before you go MAY tell you where the deer fences are, but some people don't like admitting to climbing them in case they later become broken so they mysteriously waft through them......or deviate miles for a stile. If you have access to the larger scale maps (they are to be found on the Hillbagging site but sparse use is requested), then the fences/walls are marked on them. I have downloaded maps via maverick and they appear on those as well....but I don't think gates are shown and sometimes the wall is just an old tumbled down version.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby jmarkb » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:52 pm

Some of the scrambly ridges on the mainland are probably off limits: Aonach Eagach, Liathach, and An Teallach for example. In all these cases it is possible to reach the Munro summits by non-technical routes, even if it requires two separate day trips.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Holly » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:44 pm

My dogs come with me to many of the Munro's but I wouldn't take them on all due to obvious concerns. I usually read up on the walkhighland reports that have been done by dog owners and see what they say. I have taken mine on all of the Cairngorm ones but I have more than just a few Munros to go and will be coming to ones I cannot bring them along and will need to come to that "bridge" when its time. I guess it kind of depends on the dog as well. Age is now against my older dog too.
I left them at home one time I knew there were going to be a lot of cattle with calves as my stress levels wouldn't allow me to cope with that but it is something to consider.
Going back to my point about the walk reports,,, they really are helpful and have given me excellent advice.
I was on Sgaith Chuil today with them and the deer stiles had wee dog stiles too which was rather handy and I have seen that before.
I hope this helps a wee bit.
Holly
Munro compleatist

Munros:240   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Sgurr » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:34 am

Knew I had seen one from somewhere : wee dog entry on Whitehope Heights.. Always handy

Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby tensacks » Tue May 01, 2018 9:13 am

re deer fences: I train my dogs to lie quietly across my shoulders so that I can take them over, then kneel down for them to alight......no tossing required! [take one dog at a time of course; they are big collies]. In winter they go very well uphill on hard snow, but less well down hill, so plan accordingly.

I have used a rope and suitable harness now and again for security, but this is to be avoided if you have two dogs to handle.
tensacks
Stravaiging

Postby Walkinmyfootsteps » Thu May 03, 2018 7:13 pm

I suppose it depends on how nimble footed your dog is.
My lab retriever has been up a Munro in Skye and various others.
Unless it’s real climbing there isn’t much she couldn’t cope with.
All depends on your dogs capabilities but would advise that you start simple and gauge that for yourself.
Walkinmyfootsteps
Munro compleatist

Postby Jim777 » Fri May 25, 2018 3:10 pm

Only time I ever had a problem with my dog, a small collie, was on Foinaven where it ended up with shredded paws. :(
It did manage the Aonach Eagach in Glencoe with a bit of help.
Jim777
Mountain Walker

Postby Alteknacker » Fri May 25, 2018 8:17 pm

jmarkb wrote:Some of the scrambly ridges on the mainland are probably off limits: Aonach Eagach, Liathach, and An Teallach for example. In all these cases it is possible to reach the Munro summits by non-technical routes, even if it requires two separate day trips.

The last time I was on AE a chap had just completed the traverse as we started. With a Yorkshire terrier! It astonishes me what dogs are capable to ascending and descending :shock:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby BobMcBob » Sat May 26, 2018 2:43 pm

I once scrambled up the north ridge of Tryfan and was overtaken by a labrador.....
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby clsmith1977 » Tue May 29, 2018 6:41 am

Folks thank you so much for all the friendly help and advice, it is greatly appreciated.
clsmith1977
Munro compleatist

Munros:96   Corbetts:8
Fionas:6   

Postby JoBaxter76 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:22 pm

Ben Nevis 2yrs ago we met a lady with a Chihuahua on her way back down. Granted, it was in her rucksack :)
JoBaxter76
Mountaineer

Munros:11   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:3   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion