walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Advice on Glen Shiel trip

Advice on Glen Shiel trip

Postby Jdean » Wed May 16, 2018 11:12 am

Hi Folks,
3 of us are planning a long weekend in Glen Shiel in July and wondered if we could get some tips from people who done similar trips ? We envisage doing South Glen Shiel ridge one day, Five sisters another, and TBA for the 3rd (if we have any legs left :shock: :lol: )
We will have use of a motorhome so thought Shielbridge Campsite might be a good place to be based ? We also wondered if anyone had any tips about using buses and taxis to get to start and end points etc ? Any tips much appreciated.
Thanks, Andrew
Jdean
Munro compleatist

Munros:86   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:16

Re: Advice on Glen Shiel trip

Postby jmarkb » Wed May 16, 2018 11:40 am

jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby prog99 » Wed May 16, 2018 11:49 am

5 sisters are doable in a very pleasant circuit starting in Gleann Lichd. Also arguably a lot more scenic too.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby kmai1961 » Wed May 16, 2018 12:20 pm

You might find this thread useful as well:

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=73017
kmai1961
Wanderer

Munros:282   Corbetts:189
Fionas:91   Donalds:65
Sub 2000:51   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:39   Islands:24

Postby malrobb » Wed May 16, 2018 4:06 pm

Just back this weekend from 3 days in Glenshiel myself. We travelled up from Inverness by car on the Friday and were lucky to have another car do the drop off for the Brother's Ridge and we walked back to the Cluanie where we were staying. High winds stopped us adding on Ciste Dubh but that option is open to you if you wanted to make it a longer day.

We did the South Glenshiel Ridge on the Saturday with only one car and I had to wait about 15 mins for a car to take me back to the Cluanie and predictably it was another group of walkers it was who stopped(very much appreciated). We did enquire at the Cluanie if they did drops offs or pick up they certainly used to, but it just changed hands last week and they are no longer doing this.

We then did Ciste Dubh with the Corbett on the Sunday as it was a shorter day out (5 hours) but there are a couple of other walks that start and finish in roughly the same place, Achraliag being one of them.

2 cars are desirable in Glen Shiel but not essential if you can reply on thumbing a lift and/or doing circular walks.
malrobb
Mountain Walker

Munros:201   

Postby Robinho08 » Wed May 16, 2018 4:23 pm

The Morvich campsite is nicer, particularly if you own a motorhome. Bit of a longer walk to the pub mind you. :lol:

As for the hills on offer, check out walks on here and pour over maps. Absolutely loads to do. :D
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby mmill » Wed May 16, 2018 4:28 pm

A bike can be useful if 2 cars not an option. Just be careful to plan it so you don't have to cycle west to east if doing the full sgs ridge. :lol:
mmill
Mountain Walker

Munros:263   Corbetts:57
Fionas:11   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:30   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:18

Postby Coop » Thu May 17, 2018 5:36 pm

Wherever you're staying try and see if anyone else is doing any of the main ridges - a car at either end is the way ahead.
Failing that - take bikes.
I did the brothers ridge and walked back the 5 miles along the road - dodgy!!
When I did the sisters I managed to catch the Glasgow bus from Skye- he still charged me 8quid to drop me at the sisters car park.
When I did the SGS ridge I walked most of it with a lad who had left his car at the end and he cycled to Cluanie to start. He gave me a lift back to my car.
Not long back from the area myself - stayed at Ratagan.
Ill give a shout out to Arnisdale and Beinn Sgriethall - fabulous area and views.
Wherever you are - enjoy and all the best
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby mrssanta » Sat May 19, 2018 7:30 pm

The bus is very expensive
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby pac76 » Mon May 21, 2018 10:27 am

Hi, this is not a reply so not sure if it should go here or topic below:
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44907

I'm walking the South Glen Shiel Ridge on Friday. I've read lots of great reports on here and routes from both Munro books but just looking for some advice from recent walkers experience.

How early a Cluanie Inn start would average/fast-ish (not lycra fast though) pace walkers need to complete all 7 Munros East to West (not counting any return road walk) and get down to the road by around 5pm?

We're thinking of leaving the car at West end of ridge and thumbing it to Cluanie - is this easy early morning and would one walker be more successful than 2? I'm guessing there would be more cars but more competing hitchers later in the day.

Also considered parking the car half-way along the road in case we wimp out on Munro 3 or 4. This defeatist plan would also split the road walk in case we can't hitch a lift but haven't read of anyone else doing it.

Many thanks in advance for any advice, Paul.
pac76
Mountain Walker

Postby BobMcBob » Mon May 21, 2018 11:54 am

The 5 sisters is a great day out if you camp at Morvich. From the campsite you can walk up Gleann Lichd. Turn right at Glenlichd house and head up to the Bealach an Lapin from there. It's a much more pleasant way to gain the ridge than the trudge up from the other side. You can then walk the ridge and then back to Morvich. No cars needed and no walking along a busy road.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby mr_mrsH » Wed May 23, 2018 9:38 pm

We also had a motor home when we did south glen shiel ridge, parked up in the Cluanie car park and started from there the next day, managed to cadge a lift back to the Cluanie, always a good chance of a lift back especially In the summer.
Hope this helps.
mr_mrsH
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   

Postby weaselmaster » Wed May 23, 2018 10:27 pm

We're planning to camp at Shiel bridge, drive up to Clunie and walk the south ridge on day one, return to the tent having left the car up at Clunie. Day 2 we walk over the Sisters and Brothers and retrieve the car. 32k day one, 22k day 2.
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby Fairweather Softie » Fri May 25, 2018 12:41 pm

Jdean wrote:Hi Folks,
3 of us are planning a long weekend in Glen Shiel in July and wondered if we could get some tips from people who done similar trips ? We envisage doing South Glen Shiel ridge one day, Five sisters another, and TBA for the 3rd (if we have any legs left :shock: :lol: )
We will have use of a motorhome so thought Shielbridge Campsite might be a good place to be based ? We also wondered if anyone had any tips about using buses and taxis to get to start and end points etc ? Any tips much appreciated.
Thanks, Andrew

Shielbridge campsite was not great in my humble opinion, saying that I was camping and ground was rock hard. Not far to walk to hotel for food and a pint thou.

I completed brothers first day, left bike at Cluanie for coming down and cycled back to car, easy enough day. Camped that night and then drove from campsite back up and chained bike to fence near Cluanie, back to laybay for SGS, then bike back to car, as someone else has said make sure you bike east to west as I would not have fancied other direction.
Fairweather Softie
Mountaineer

Munros:220   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:6

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon May 28, 2018 7:32 pm

Walkhighlands gives a time of 9 - 11 hrs to do the SGS ridge. Usually my times are just under the lower number but I took 10.5 hours to do this though it was west to east which involves extra ascent of around 150m. The walkhighlands route involves a few extra miles at the east end of the ridge by using the stalkers path down to the old road which you can avoid by planning a route straight off the mountain though careful navigation would be required to avoid crags in poor conditions. The stalkers path is a good bit longer but easy going.
I used a bike to cycle from the Cluanie inn down to the start point and did it early morning when road was quiet. The cycle took about half an hour for around 7 miles nearly all downhill. (I'm no Chris Hoy :D ) If using a bike I would suggest only one person does the cycle as the less bikes on that road the better and I wouldn't even consider it if the road is busy. One bus and one juggernaut passed me both doing about 60 and it's not a great experience :shock:
If thumbing a lift I would suggest making up a board with your destination ie. Cluanie Inn and only one person hitching would be far better.
Going west to east has the advantage of an escape route down to the Cluanie inn from the 2nd last munro if you are running out of time or energy or water.
If you don't fancy the campsite there are lots of laybys and parking areas on that stretch of road which are free and regularly used by campervans which may be an option for you.
All the best :)
Sunset tripper

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion