walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Wild Camping on Ben Venue and Stob Binnein

Wild Camping on Ben Venue and Stob Binnein

Postby rosesarephree » Thu May 17, 2018 7:40 pm

I will be visiting Scotland for the first time this August and I am looking to do some wild camping in the Loch Lomond/Trossachs area. I have decided to do a hike up Ben Venue for one day. Can I wild camp on the way up there? Do you think it would be out of the range where I would need a permit? Also, what should I keep in mind when selecting a wild camping site in terms of staying more protected from weather, etc?

I was also planning to hike up Stob Binnein and wild camp. Can anyone give advice for that spot?

I am a bit of a newbie, but I do have hiking/camping experience, but only in the USA. Any advice is much appreciated.
rosesarephree
Bird-watcher

Re: Wild Camping on Ben Venue and Stob Binnein

Postby Andy J » Fri May 18, 2018 10:14 am

You can camp in those places. There is a map of the restricted areas at http://www.lochlomond-trossachs.org/things-to-do/camping/go-wild/. Ben Venue is near to the restricted area around Loch Achray but there are plenty of places to go.

Many people (myself included) will be reluctant to share locations for overnight stops - as this prevents them from becoming over used. Try to choose an area that is sheltered, and with access to water. My advice is not to try to plan a specific spot, but select a general area and choose the precise location when you arrive there based on the conditions at the time. If there weather is poor then maybe a lower, more sheltered spot; of higher and more exposed if conditions are good/settled.

Remember that you'll need to protect yourself from midges as well as the weather.

If you have backpacking experience in the US, particularly temperate areas in the northern states, then I think you'll be fine. No bears here!
Andy J
Scrambler

Postby davekeiller » Sat May 19, 2018 8:58 pm

Depending on your route, Ben Venue is forestry plantation for most of the way up so you might find it difficult to find a decent spot. Lots of car parks in that area are pay and display and probably have restrictions on overnight parking (not really sure if/how this is enforced).
Personally, I'd use an official campsite for those two walks, given that they can easily be done in a day. This will give you toilets, showers, hot water and a sink for washing up, possibly a drying room (it will rain at some point during your trip), somewhere flat(ish) to pitch your tent and the warm glow of contributing to the local economy and supporting someone's business.
If you do choose to wild camp, it's mostly common sense. Choose a spot that's away from human habitation, preferably somewhere reasonably flat and firm (not boggy), possibly a bit of shelter from the wind (although a bit of breeze keeps the midges away) and reasonably near to a stream so you can get water. When you go to the toilet, do it at least 50m from streams, downstream of camp and bury it at least 6 inches deep. Don't light campfires or leave any litter behind.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby rosesarephree » Tue May 22, 2018 2:15 pm

Thanks for the helpful responses. We are looking to do some wild camping, but having never been to Loch Lomond and the Trossachs, so we're shooting in the dark a little bit on where to go. We have two days in the park and then head to Glen Coe area.

I will certainly look into parking restrictions for these spots as well, which I hadn't thought about.

Again, thanks for the responses. This is a fabulous site and community!
rosesarephree
Bird-watcher

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion