walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Advice on first trip to Highlands, which hikes to do?

Advice on first trip to Highlands, which hikes to do?

Postby aliak » Mon May 21, 2018 1:07 am

Hi all! I'm traveling to Scotland for a week or so this June, and am a bit overwhelmed by the number of options and trying to figure out where I should hike! I'll be in Glencoe for a couple days, then Inverness and Aviemore for about three nights. Do you have any recommendations? I love varied scenery, especially mountain views. Happy with a mix of strenuous and gradual hikes. I'm a climber so I don't mind some exposure and scrambling. I'd also love to do at least one hike with a long ridge because I'm trying to get into scrambling :)

I was thinking of going to Torridon (there's a Rabbie's tour I almost booked, but I'm worried I won't be able to do much sitting on a bus) or Ullapool. But its a bit rough to get to Torridon via public transit and I want to spend my time hiking and enjoying, rather than on a bus the whole time. Are there more places I should check out closer to Inverness and Glencoe? I was thinking the Pap of Glencoe, Aonach Eagach, and was looking at doing the Mam na Gualainn circuit in Kinlochleven or Beinn Trilleachan. Near Inverness, I was thinking about Ben Wyvis. Also, this isn't really walking, but I'm considering doing a day canoe or kayak trip in the Cairngorms, but they're all really expensive. Any inexpensive company out there?

Thanks so much for the help!
aliak
Rock-climber

Re: Advice on first trip to Highlands, which hikes to do?

Postby davekeiller » Mon May 21, 2018 7:30 pm

Depends where exactly you're staying and what transport you have available.
Personally, I wouldn't bother going to Ullapool on this trip because of the time it will take to get there, maybe stop at Fort William for a day or two between Glen Coe and Inverness instead?
Here are some routes in the Glen Coe area https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/glencoe.shtml
Try here for Aviemore https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/aviemore.shtml

All the routes you've suggested would make for good walks, just remember that you'll need map and compass (and the ability to use them) as you're likely to find yourself having to navigate in low cloud and rain at some point. If you're a climber, then Aonach Eagach should be within your capabilities, just remember that it's a committing route with no escape options - if in doubt do something else as it will still be there next time.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Re: Advice on first trip to Highlands, which hikes to do?

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue May 22, 2018 4:18 am

Fort William is between Glencoe and Inverness and has some great hiking. Glen Nevis has fantastic scenery.
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/fortwilliam.shtml
Have a look at the Ring of Steall best saved for a good weather day.
All the best. :D
Sunset tripper

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion