walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Switzerland - suggestions needed

Switzerland - suggestions needed

Postby nickdv1987 » Mon May 21, 2018 7:10 pm

Hi guys. I hope some of you have traveled and know good places in Switzerland. I am going to visit my cousin in Zurich for a few weeks in September and I'm also looking for stunning places where I could go to on a day trip or 1 night camping trip(s). Anywhere close to Zurich or up to 2 hrs drive away is OK.

I could've googled (and I did) but figured asking people who've been to these places would be more spot on. My cousin and her family just moved there a few weeks ago, so they are not very helpful. I hope I can find some input here. Thank you !
nickdv1987

Re: Switzerland - suggestions needed

Postby gaffr » Tue May 22, 2018 8:33 am

Not been in the Zurich area of the Country...too far away from the big hills. I don't know but the Grimsel Pass area and the trails leading into the higher places may be reachable in 2 hours or so? Together with GP and several of the valleys that run South from the Rhone where many high hills and beautiful hut-walks are available that is about the extent of my wanderings in CH.
As you have probably found out there are details of hundreds of walks close to Zurich available on line.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby walkingpoles » Tue May 22, 2018 9:44 am

Local here. The really big hills (3500m) are too far away, and september is the end of the season. Smaller hills abound, though, you'll enjoy it.

I don't know about camping. It shouldn't be a problem far off civilisation. Swiss people will usually stay in a SAC-hut, where there will be proper food and beds (hauling up a big back for 2km of heights is an issue). Most huts will already close at some time in september though.

Daytrips from Zurich often go the the Canton of Glarus (check out Vorderer Glärnisch) or St. Gallen and Grisons (check out Calanda for two of my favourite non-technical day hikes. Calanda can also be done as a two day hike).

Be aware of bad weather. While you can get away in Scotland in miserable conditions as long as you know what you're doing, the alps are less benign. Especially lightning strikes are not uncommon.
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby nickdv1987 » Tue May 22, 2018 12:08 pm

walkingpoles wrote:Local here. The really big hills (3500m) are too far away, and september is the end of the season. Smaller hills abound, though, you'll enjoy it.

I don't know about camping. It shouldn't be a problem far off civilisation. Swiss people will usually stay in a SAC-hut, where there will be proper food and beds (hauling up a big back for 2km of heights is an issue). Most huts will already close at some time in september though.

Daytrips from Zurich often go the the Canton of Glarus (check out Vorderer Glärnisch) or St. Gallen and Grisons (check out Calanda for two of my favourite non-technical day hikes. Calanda can also be done as a two day hike).

Be aware of bad weather. While you can get away in Scotland in miserable conditions as long as you know what you're doing, the alps are less benign. Especially lightning strikes are not uncommon.

I heard as well that it's a bad time to be there but wanna try to get any adventure I can even a little :)
Thanks so much for the insights!! This is very helpful. :D
nickdv1987

Postby nickdv1987 » Tue May 22, 2018 12:09 pm

gaffr wrote:Not been in the Zurich area of the Country...too far away from the big hills. I don't know but the Grimsel Pass area and the trails leading into the higher places may be reachable in 2 hours or so? Together with GP and several of the valleys that run South from the Rhone where many high hills and beautiful hut-walks are available that is about the extent of my wanderings in CH.
As you have probably found out there are details of hundreds of walks close to Zurich available on line.

Yup I found the map of possible places to go to. There are just too many to pick from so I kinda wanna narrow down. Thanks so much!
nickdv1987

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion