walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Map reading course?

Map reading course?

Postby sbarclay62 » Fri May 25, 2018 2:51 pm

Hi guys

Any recommendations for map reading course for a complete beginner? Tried Mountaineering Scotland but they're fully booked. Within a 2hr drive from Edinburgh if poss but happy to travel further. (Did try searching but wasn't bringing much back).

Thanks
sbarclay62
Mountaineer

Munros:6   
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:5   

Re: Map reading course?

Postby Border Reiver » Fri May 25, 2018 4:07 pm

In the past I went on a couple of courses run by the Lake District National Park . Very good and very cheap in comparison with many companies. Ok, so it was 20 odd years ago, but it cost only £5 for the day.
Just checked and they run a "Navigation Skills for Beginners" course at Ullswater on 16th June this year - cost £15. Check their website for other courses.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby davekeiller » Fri May 25, 2018 4:53 pm

Glenmore Lodge? Pricy but generally good, and you'll be in the heart of the Cairngorms.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby gld73 » Fri May 25, 2018 6:46 pm

Mapology does a 1 day navigation course for £50, or even a basic intro evening course lasting a couple of hours - it's based in Edinburgh. I don't have first hand experience, but it does do Duke of Edinburgh award training so has had to undergo the Approval process for that.

https://mapology.co.uk/navigation-courses
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat May 26, 2018 8:58 am

Try reading books on the subject and trying it yourself; it is relatively easy. A great book to help is "Hillwalking and Scrambling" by Steve Ashton ( available on Amazon for much cheapness); lots of great hints and tips not only on map reading but reading terrain and weather, right clothing for conditions, etc. Now it is summery weather (mostly, touch wood) you can get out and about safely without getting too lost. Have fun and enjoy it.

Sea Chart#2.jpg
Map of choice for the discerning traveller
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Mal Grey » Sat May 26, 2018 8:11 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:Try reading books on the subject and trying it yourself; it is relatively easy. A great book to help is "Hillwalking and Scrambling" by Steve Ashton ( available on Amazon for much cheapness); lots of great hints and tips not only on map reading but reading terrain and weather, right clothing for conditions, etc. Now it is summery weather (mostly, touch wood) you can get out and about safely without getting too lost. Have fun and enjoy it.

Sea Chart#2.jpg

Now that, is a proper map! As I would expect from an ancient mariner... ;) :clap:

(Just lost about half an hour trying to find places in Scandinavia I've been to, on a map drawn in 1539)
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun May 27, 2018 7:59 am

Mal Grey wrote:Now that, is a proper map! As I would expect from an ancient mariner..

I'd love to get it printed on proper map paper and bring it out on a hill somewhere with everyone else consulting computerised gizmos like GPS etc. As it is I have a compass drawn on a piece of paper like Charlie Chaplin in The Gold Rush...
Caberfeidh's Cabin map.jpg
Here be monsters...

Pomona Sea Chart#r.jpg
and here...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby prog99 » Mon May 28, 2018 7:03 pm

Try Falkirk outdoors
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby SuperMillie » Mon May 28, 2018 8:31 pm

SuperMillie
Munro compleatist

Munros:108   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:12

Postby Mal Grey » Mon May 28, 2018 10:29 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:
Mal Grey wrote:Now that, is a proper map! As I would expect from an ancient mariner..

I'd love to get it printed on proper map paper and bring it out on a hill somewhere with everyone else consulting computerised gizmos like GPS etc. As it is I have a compass drawn on a piece of paper like Charlie Chaplin in The Gold Rush...
Caberfeidh's Cabin map.jpg

Pomona Sea Chart#r.jpg

This was my map for Loch Shiel:

(Drawn by a friend when I complained that the kids got treasure maps but I didn't!)
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby cmarcol » Wed May 30, 2018 2:43 pm

If you look up NNAS you can find a list of providers and it’ll list upcoming courses, locations and prices. Prices vary massively so worth checking.
cmarcol
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:22
Fionas:6   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   

Postby sbarclay62 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:20 am

Thanks for the suggestions all. Opted for the course ran by Lake District National Park. Will take in a couple of nights camping while i'm down there. :thumbup:
sbarclay62
Mountaineer

Munros:6   
Fionas:1   

Postby rhiannmiddleton » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:05 pm

Hi, Falkirk Community Trust offer a decent course. One on 7th July £35 :) http://www.falkirkcommunitytrust.org/outdoors/programme/default.aspx
rhiannmiddleton
Walker

Munros:30   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion