walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Google photos

Google photos

Postby past my sell by date » Fri May 25, 2018 7:02 pm

Since the last windows 10 update my picasa 3 refuses to download to album active on google photos. anyone else having simiar difficulties? Picasa used to be so easy til google got hold of it Arrrrrrrgh!!!
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Re: Google photos

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon May 28, 2018 11:25 am

You got Windows 10?! Dearie me - take it to a computer geek place and get that removed, take it back to Windows 7; the only one that works. And don't do that again.

Richard Ayaode.jpg
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby BlackPanther » Tue May 29, 2018 8:45 am

past my sell by date wrote:Since the last windows 10 update my picasa 3 refuses to download to album active on google photos. anyone else having simiar difficulties? Picasa used to be so easy til google got hold of it Arrrrrrrgh!!!

Sadly, Google retired Picasa on May 1, 2016. :( :(

They want you to use Google Photos instead.
I was basically forced to move to GP and downloading albums via browser. I still use Picasa app on my PC as a photo browser and to resize my pictures in batches but that's as far as it goes. Of course, if there's something good, somebody somewhere will find a way to screw it :?

This article gives some details:
https://www.ghacks.net/2016/02/12/google-will-retire-picasa-on-may-1-2016/
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue May 29, 2018 10:44 am

BlackPanther wrote:Sadly, Google retired Picasa on May 1, 2016.

THEY WHAT !???

MOSS.jpg
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby past my sell by date » Tue May 29, 2018 2:06 pm

Sadly, Google retired Picasa on May 1, 2016. :( :(

They want you to use Google Photos instead.
I was basically forced to move to GP and downloading albums via browser. I still use Picasa app on my PC as a photo browser and to resize my pictures in batches but that's as far as it goes. Of course, if there's something good, somebody somewhere will find a way to screw it :?

Yes but until a couple of weeks ago you could still upload Picasa albums directly to google photos which is what i did. Now it just says (ad infinitum)enter your google mail addtress. Usuing Google photos automatic backup is a nightmare It seems impossible to stop it grabbing everything on your computer - reminds me of "the sorcerer's apprentice" :lol: :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby John Doh » Thu May 31, 2018 6:07 pm

You can still use Picasa, e.g. for editing photos (for which it has much more features than GP), but you have then to download the edited pics to the desktop and then upload them onto GP :crazy:

Another thing that used to work well and got more complicated due to updates is that Iphones now make photos in the .heic format, which windows doesn‘t recognise. So if you take photos on the Iphone and want to download them to your windows computer, you have to convert them to .jpg format in order to view them :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
John Doh

Sub 2000:2   
Islands:39

Postby past my sell by date » Thu May 31, 2018 7:08 pm

John Doh wrote:You can still use Picasa, e.g. for editing photos (for which it has much more features than GP), but you have then to download the edited pics to the desktop and then upload them onto GP :crazy:

Another thing that used to work well and got more complicated due to updates is that Iphones now make photos in the .heic format, which windows doesn‘t recognise. So if you take photos on the Iphone and want to download them to your windows computer, you have to convert them to .jpg format in order to view them :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Thanks John

That's what i'm doing now, but is there any way to stop GP from "wolfing down" everything on my laptop? In Picasa you have folder manager. i've resotrting to kicking all the photods i don't want downloading on amn External hard disc but it's a PAIN

!
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion