walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

wild camping, about to try for first time, advice please

wild camping, about to try for first time, advice please

Postby al78 » Wed May 30, 2018 12:02 am

I'm off to Blair Atholl on the 8th June (via the sleeper train) with the aim of hiking the Minigaig to Kingussie with an overnight wild camp. I have camped in organised camp sites but have never gone the next step of sleeping wild. I have stocked up on kit such as a tent, sleeping mat, GPS, compass, insect repellant, sun cream (yes I am optimistic, although it can get surprisingly warm and sunny in Scotland), head net, and tick removal tweezers. Can anyone offer any advice on how to maximise the chance of things going smoothly, and any novice pitfalls to avoid? For an overnight camp, is it feasible to carry enough water or is it best to try and fill up from streams en-route?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Re: wild camping, about to try for first time, advice please

Postby rgf101 » Wed May 30, 2018 1:58 am

I'll usually just carry a litre water bottle and keep that topped up at streams. If I can see on the map there might not be any water for an extended period I take an extra bottle which will stay empty but get filled up to get me through those sections.

For a first wild camp I'd be inclined to aim for somewhere nearish a bothy - that way if things do go wrong, you've at least got shelter. Not sure if there's anywhere on the Minigaig - possibly Allt Scheicheachan, but that's maybe too near the start. That saved me on an early trip when

a) I'd come off the sleeper but not slept, so was shattered anyway
b) I'd taken way too much stuff and it'd taken me way longer than expected to haul it over rough terrain
c) I'd had the absolutely moronic idea of only taking a sleeping bag liner, as 'it's summer, I'll be fine in the liner and my clothes'. Not true.
d) By the time I realised I'd pitched the tent on the most uncomfortable piece of ground in Scotland, I didn't have the energy to move it

Dragged myself into the nearby bothy and slept in a sleeping bag someone had abandoned.
rgf101

Postby Border Reiver » Wed May 30, 2018 9:30 am

The Minigaig is a great route, but there's not a lot of views high up on the watershed. Easily done in 2 days if your reasonably fit. We encountered a massive thunderstorm on the high ground with lightning flashing everywhere & no real escape other than down in a stream bed. It didn't rain though.
My main advice is 1. Don't carry anything you don't need to - the rucksack gets heavy on the hips and shoulders and you might get blisters.
2. Look after your feet, they really suffer when under a heavier load. At the first sign of any hot spots, deal with it straight away.
Enjoy it, it's a great adventure.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby Ben Nachie » Wed May 30, 2018 10:16 am

Don't carry more than a litre of water, camp near a stream if possible, look after your feet, and aim to keep the total weight on your back to 10kg or less. You may not be able to achieve that with the gear you own, but aim for it at least. Over 15kg and you'll regret it.

Don't take jars or glass bottles of anything, and avoid tins too. Take dry food that can be hydrated, such as pasta, for the basis of your main meal. Allow about 650g to 850g of dry weight food per 24 hrs. Eat what you find tastiest, most foods are around 4 calories per gram except things like nuts, cheese and butter which have more.

Don't push yourself too hard, take your time and enjoy it.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby Ben Nachie » Wed May 30, 2018 10:17 am

PS take a sun hat and compeed!
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed May 30, 2018 12:02 pm

Instead of a big pink bogroll which will get damp/wet and unusable, and is embarrassingly obvious, also bulky and takes too much room, simply take packets of paper hankies; they come in small, pocket-sized discreet plastic packs which are good for staying dry. A small radio is good for company and listening for weather reports. Several changes of big thickly-padded -about-the-heels-and-toes kind of socks (available at huntin',shootin',fishin' type shops), leather gloves - good for protection from sun/cold/insects/abrasive rocks& vegetation, also a help in case of attack by weasels. A flint-and-steel firestarter in case matches get wet/lighter loses its flint. Oxo cubes make a nice hot drink and a stock for stew. If you like spotting wildlife and birds, maybe a small pair of binoculars to keep you busy of an evening.

Wee Radio.jpg
Pocket radio and muesli bars - the cornerstone of any nutritious breakfast...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed May 30, 2018 12:11 pm

Border Reiver wrote:.... you might get blisters.
2. Look after your feet, they really suffer when under a heavier load. At the first sign of any hot spots, deal with it straight away.

Ben Nachie wrote:PS take a sun hat and compeed!

Caberfeidh wrote:Several changes of big thickly-padded -about-the-heels-and-toes kind of socks

You'll notice there's a theme developing! A good old Scottish hillwalking tip is to stop at any burn (stream) , take off your boots and socks, and cool your feet in the cool flowing waters. Don't wait until you feel blisters developing, just do it for the fun of it. It helps a lot and also breaks up the trek and gives you a chance to catch your breath and get the feel of the place.

DSCF7556a#r.jpg
the invitingly cool frothy waters of a hill burn...bathe those tootsies!
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed May 30, 2018 12:23 pm

Oh and a decent book to read in the evening. Nothing spooky. Something inspirational like Mountain Days and Bothy Nights, or any of Tom Weir's stuff, or travel books. Isotonic drinks powder is available to mix with that burn water, www.decathlon.co.uk do some good packets which can be posted to you for much cheapness.

Camping at King's House.jpg
Even in drizzly weather camping can be good - batten down the hatches...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed May 30, 2018 1:17 pm

One major problem with Caberfeidhs pitch in the camping photo and it's not the drizzly weather......... it's that the kings house has been demolished. :shock:
Sunset tripper

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed May 30, 2018 2:25 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:One major problem with Caberfeidhs pitch in the camping photo and it's not the drizzly weather......... it's that the kings house has been demolished. :shock:

Stir not the cup of bitterness, for worse lies in the dregs... O cruel fate, that yon fair tavern, yon travelers' rest so often enjoyed and used with no thought to what the future might hold in store; who wouldst e'en imagine a world without it, , might as such imagine a world with neither sun nor moon. I have of late, wherefore I know not, lost all my mirth. The Kingshouse ~ a fellow of infinite jest! He hath borne me upon his back a thousand times! To be, or not to be: that is the question:
Whether ’tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to, ’tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wish’d. To die, to sleep;
To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there’s the rub;
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause: there’s the respect
That makes calamity of so long life;
For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
The oppressor’s wrong, the proud man’s contumely,
The pangs of despised love, the law’s delay,
The insolence of office and the spurns
That patient merit of the unworthy takes,
When he himself might his quietus make
With a bare bodkin? who would fardels bear,
To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
But that the dread of something after death,
The undiscover’d country from whose bourn
No traveller returns, puzzles the will
And makes us rather bear those ills we have
Than fly to others that we know not of?
Thus conscience does make cowards of us all;

Or as we might put it more succinctly; "It's a scunner."

Kingshouse in winter 09#2.jpg
The Lion in Winter
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby cmarcol » Wed May 30, 2018 2:38 pm

If it’s a new tent pitch it in the garden first. A lot of them you clip the inner inside and leave it clipped in forever more. Saves a few minutes which can make a big different in poor weather.

Be aware of forecast for wind direction and pitch your door accordingly. More important the higher up you go.

I store everything in dry bags to avoid using the rucksack cover then stick my clothes in a dry bag as a pillow.

Everything else seems to have been covered :) enjoy!
cmarcol
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:22
Fionas:6   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Old Bill » Wed May 30, 2018 4:18 pm

All of the above... but I would suggest *do* take a tin of something or other (food that is! Although my first trip I took a 4 pack of beer, which I was soon looking forward to drinking as quickly as possibly for more than the usual reasons!). The reason is that if you have a stove disaster of some sort you can eat it straight out of the tin.
On two occasions the weather has been just so terrible that I just couldn't light my stove, and I was already very wet and tired but the cold Sainsbury's Beef Madras was delicious!
A good length of string or spare boot laces is handy too - and not just for lacing boots.

I think the best advice for the first time was that of making sure you're near a bothy. After that I find that every time I go wild camping I learn something new, and better ways to do something next time. Eg last time my revelations were a midgie hood and realising that mice can unwrap a Tunnock's wafer! It's all part of the fun!
Old Bill
Wanderer

Munros:51   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Old Bill » Wed May 30, 2018 4:19 pm

Ps. Has anyone mentioned a small shovel yet...?
Old Bill
Wanderer

Munros:51   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:10   

Postby cmarcol » Wed May 30, 2018 5:29 pm

Old Bill wrote:Ps. Has anyone mentioned a small shovel yet...?

I’ve nevet used a small shovel on a one nighter yet :lol: (of course still carry just in case)
cmarcol
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:22
Fionas:6   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   

Postby gld73 » Wed May 30, 2018 7:32 pm

I got a good wild camping tip from a guy I was talking to in Assynt yesterday - he says he looks on his OS map to see if shielings are marked anywhere nearby. The buildings themselves might be just a pile of stones now, but they are usually in a grassy area which was good for grazing (and now good for pitching a tent), and near a river, burn or other good water source.
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion