walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Advice on a Lairig Grhu and Ben Macdui route

Advice on a Lairig Grhu and Ben Macdui route

Postby vl250 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:32 pm

Hi all! It's my first time posting, although I've lurked on walk highlands for about 18 months.

My OH and I want to plan a two/three day walk, and we're looking at the Lairig Ghru and/or Ben Macdui (that sort of area). We're pored over the maps and the Walkhighlands routes trying to find something that works, and advice would be appreciated on planning a route.

It's worth noting that we are considerably slower than most walkers. 18 months ago I was in a wheelchair after an accident, and last summer as part of my physio I started doing long walks and hill walks with my sticks, and then bagging a few Munros towards the end of the summer. I manage fairly well, but especially over the very steep ground I have to take my time or the times when my nerves go funny end up with my tumbling.

We liked the idea of doing the Lairig Ghru from Speyside to Deeside as a two day walk, which would let us take a leisurely pace for me. However, we've never climbed Macdui and I really fancy bagging it when we go past. From the maps, it looks awkward to climb Macdui from the pass, and my leg doesn't really cope with much scrambling - is it going to add too much time to go up Srion Rach? And is there somewhere to leave our camping gear and collect on the route back from the mountain?

Any advice much appreciated.
vl250
Bird-watcher

Munros:5   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:8

Re: Advice on a Lairig Grhu and Ben Macdui route

Postby Scottk » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:24 pm

Last year I did a route from Linn of Dee through Glen Geldie and Glen Feshie to Rothiemurchus and back through the Lairig Ghru. Really lovely walk and just about 50 miles.
I would say that the Lairig Ghru isn't the easiest walking as there are boulder fields to navigate and it goes up to almost 900m. One of the good things about the route is the bothies which are available in Glen Feshie, the Corrour bothy at the foot of the Devils Point in the Lairig Ghru and Bob Scotts at Derry Lodge. Plenty water available too.
There is a good path from the Lairig Ghru up to Braeriach and all the way along to Devils Point where the path goes down to Corrour Bothy.
I've only done Ben Macdui from the ski centre car park so can't comment apart from saying that that side of the Lairig Ghru is steeper and I don't think there is any obvious access up.
Hopefully someone will be along who has done it.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby NickyRannoch » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:59 pm

If you are going from Speyside to Deeside yes it will add a huge amount of time and ascent to climb Sròn Riach to Macdui.

The usual ascent from the LG is up Allt Clach nan Taillear. It's not scrambling but it is steep and long long way up.

I think if you went over Macdui from Cairngorm car park and down Sròn Riach instead of walking down the Lairig Ghru I don't think you would miss anything, you would still see it, and the walking is actually easier up high.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby gaffr » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:50 am

Would agree that the Sron Riach way to Macdhui is the finest way up.....you could also descend by the Tailor's burn route to get you into the Lairig.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby rgf101 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:35 am

The Allt Clach nan Taillear (Tailor's Burn) route is a long steep slog and there's not a lot of fun in it - there's not much of a path and you're permanently facing into the hillside.
rgf101

Postby hindsight » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:51 am

Tailors burn can be a little steep and bouldery - particularly at the start of the descent.

Another option worthy of consideration might be to ascend Macdui from the north, then drop down towards the east to Coire Etchachan and past the Hutchison Bothy, then out via Glen Derry. I took a simlar line off Macdui recently: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=80870
hindsight

Munros:129   Corbetts:3

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:21 am

Both MacDui and Lairig ghru have long, tortuous boulder-fields, maybe not good for your current physical state. A gentler way may be to go into the hills via the Cairngorm ski area car park, at the bottom of the funicular. Head off on good paths to Corrie an Lochain then go up the steep hillside to get onto the plateau. From there MacDui will be a bit of a boulder-hopping trudge but better than from any other way. From there you could descend to Loch Etchacan and Glen Derry; this takes you past the Hutchison hut in Corrie Etchacan, then down into Glen Derry and Glen Lui. If you want to stay high up then the long ridge of Derry Cairngorm/ Carn Crom is good walking, mostly smooth rock and gravel. The pine forest down in Glens Derry/Luibeg/Lui is very nice. Bothies/shelter available at: Ryvoan bothy, Shelter Stone above Loch A'an, Corrour Bothy at bottom of Devil's Point , east side of Lairig Ghru, Bob Scott's bothy downstream from Derry Lodge at Glen Luibeg, mountain rescue hut at Derry Lodge.
012dR.jpg
MacDui across frozen Loch Etchacan

Lairigh Ghru #1r.jpg
Lairig Ghru sunrise

Derry Woods.JPG
Scots Pine forest at Glen Luibeg

Lairig Ghru winter#3iiiiR.jpg
Lairig Ghru in winter

Lairig Ghru#5c.jpg
Glen Luibeg, looking towards Derry Cairngorm

Shelter Stone#1.jpg
Shelter Stone above Loch A'an
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby vl250 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:04 pm

Thanks all - some very good advice!

I think from the sounds of things we’d best split the two and do them on separate occasions to keep things doable for me!

We may try Macdui first from the ski centre and down one of the routes to Linn of Dee, and try the Lairig Ghru another time (I think I’d enjoy the LG more if I’m not looking at Macdui and wanting to bag it!). We can also get an estimate of how long it’ll take me to cover parts of the route for planning the LG next time.

I appreciate the feedback - last thing I want is to be too ambitious for my leg to cope when also carrying gear etc, so if it needs be two trips then I’ll just have to go back ☺️ It’s all great physio for me and far more motivating than endless treadmill and gym machine exercises!
vl250
Bird-watcher

Munros:5   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:8

Postby walkingpoles » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:55 pm

Sensible decision, given your leg. If you dismiss the idea to end up at Braemar you can invest 3 days going from the skicentre via Ben Macdui to the Hutchy (lpas proposed above) and then walk back around or over Derry Cairngorm in 2 days via the Lairig Ghru. Or the other way around.
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion