walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Newbie-Comparison of Walks

Newbie-Comparison of Walks

Postby jane91 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:32 am

I've recently started in the mountain walks and munro's and i'm heading up to Scotland this weekend :-)

I've done:-

Skiddaw
Tryfan
Hellvellyn
Snowdon
Glyders
Old Man Coniston
Great Gable

We have a list of things we are going to do but i was looking for a comparison compared to what i've already done, il put on a few from the list of ideas weve had to do this weekend/week coming, can anyone compare?? I love the way there are the boots to show if its easy (1 boot) hard (5boots) but theres nothing on like that on any england and wales walking sites.

were looking at:
Ben More
Ben Lawers
Ben Lui
Lochnager
Creah Meagaibh
Luinne Benn Group ( i'm not doing this but other half wants to)
Glen Etive-Starav
Scehallian
Gulvian
Beinn Sgulaird

Sorry if any or all are spelt incorrectly

Thanks
jane91
Munro compleatist

Munros:9   

Re: Newbie-Comparison of Walks

Postby Skyelines » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:25 am

I don't think I would put any of the English and Welsh hills as more than 3 boots.
Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby jmarkb » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:47 am

It depends a bit on which route you did on the English/Welsh hills, but I don't think you'll have any trouble with your Scottish list. Apart from the Luinne Bheinn round, they all have fairly good paths, so comparing the height gain and distance versus the stuff you have done will give you a pretty good idea. The Knoydart Munros are rough going and a bit logistically awkward to fit into a short trip.
Both Ben More (from the Crianlarich side) and Gulvain involve long slogs up unrelenting slopes, and wouldn't be top of my list for a first visit!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Sgurr » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:44 am

Depending on how hill fit you are, jmarkb, as ever is spot on. However if you did those at the end of good weeks and are planning on doing these at the beginning after a long lay off, I would suggest you go for Ben Lawers (starts from high up) or Schiehallion (no long walk in) first.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby nigheandonn » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:09 pm

I don't think I would put any of the English and Welsh hills as more than 3 boots.

That depends a bit on the route - I disliked Helvellyn by Swirral Edge about as much as I disliked Beinn Narnain, which gets 4 boots, and probably any route onto Great Gable is nastier than the south side of Tinto, which is another 4 boot route.
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby jane91 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:49 pm

We did snowdon this weekend via watkins path, We also did Skiddaw and the top part of that was pretty steep to say the least.

Tryfan was my first ever experience and it was february!! Looking back my other half regrets it slightly as i'd never done anything like it before so classes it as being irresponsible but i still made it up and down in one piece so all's well that ends well and we both went up single and down as a couple!!! :-)
jane91
Munro compleatist

Postby scoob999 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:44 pm

Tryfan, a truly superb hill but in the wrong country :wink:

You should be ok with your list, I see it's nice and spread out which allows you to chase the weather :D
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby HelenO » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:00 pm

If you have done The Glyders, Tryfan and Snowdon you should be fine with your Scottish plans
Enjoy!
HelenO
Mountain Walker

Munros:271   Corbetts:145
Fionas:5   Donalds:11
Hewitts:78
Wainwrights:33   

Postby jane91 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:39 am

Thank you everyone, I am a little bit nervous if you couldn't tell but excited to be doing this, we are there for 4 and a half days then down to northumberland to chill out for 3 days.
jane91
Munro compleatist

Postby jane91 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:32 pm

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd do a quick update, I did the ben lawers group on Sunday WOW and then Monday did schellian yesterday. Should have done Ben Moore today but I backed out, I felt fine in body but I think mentally exhausted
jane91
Munro compleatist

Postby NickyRannoch » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:08 am

That's really well done. You wouldn't catch me Munro bagging 3 days on the trot, no harm in a rest day and a good excuse to come back.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby Sgurr » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:51 pm

Really good to get some feed back. So many ask for advice, and we never know what happened. See you back again soon I hope to have another go at your list.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby jane91 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:03 am

Hi, I backed out of 2 days out of 5. Did Ben Nevis today so I'm happy. Headed to Northumberland for a relax and chilled couple of days before heading home on Sunday

I expected Scotland to be breathtaking but the first couple of days/nights have been wet and windy so I didn't really get a feel of liking much to my other halfs shock but I suspect Scotland will grow on me
jane91
Munro compleatist

Postby al78 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:31 am

I'm afraid wet and windy is par for the course in the Scottish highlands. I remember many years ago doing car touring over two and a half weeks in summer, and got three sunny days in total. Try arranging some summit bagging in May/June, these are the driest and sunniest months in Scotland climatologically.

It depends on how keen you are to bag summits, but if you relish the challenge, it might be an idea to learn competent navigation skills and go up to the summits even if it is cloudy and wet. As long as you can navigate with map and compass, have suitable clothing, and you can judge when to bail out if it gets too dangerous to continue, you can enjoy the feeling of the challenge and sense of achievement when you reach the summit.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:47 pm

al78 wrote:I'm afraid wet and windy is par for the course in the Scottish highlands....

Which reminds me of the classic Billy Connelly line.: "You know, so many English people say to me 'I went to Scotland once, but it was raining.'

[Dramatic pause]

"Of COURSE it was f****ng raining!!!!!!"
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:181   
Fionas:1   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion