walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Knee pain!

Re: Knee pain!

Postby jmarkb » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:45 pm

Robinho08 wrote:Pain on the outside of your knee is most likely Iliotibial band syndrome (ITBS) it's common in runners and hikers. Foam rolling and or stretching can help. Orthotic insoles can also help too, you can get these privately, through the NHS or off the shelf in shops, Superfeet for example.

If the pain persists I suggest you see your GP and get a referral to the physio to see what is causing the issue

Sound advice! You may have a long wait to see an NHS physio: going private is an option (at some cost, obviously).
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:58 am

Outnabout wrote:
Alteknacker wrote:After decades of abusing my knees running in the hills without any ill effects, I suddenly developed the most excruciating knee pain (in one knee) in the middle of a longish mountain walk. It took me hours to get down the hills and back to the car, for I couldn't move my left leg further forward than the vertical position. The pain persisted for weeks, and eventually my doctor referred me to a physio.

It turn out to be an ITB problem. I was given some amazingly simple stretching exercises by the physio, and after a couple of weeks of these, the pain disappeared completely, never (touch wood) to return - so far. So I'm back to abusing my knees :D .

I suggest it may be worth checking this out as a cause of your problem.

How often did you do these stretches?

A few minutes, 3 or 4 times per day. The effort was really minimal.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby emmseegee » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:31 pm

Alteknacker wrote:After decades of abusing my knees running in the hills without any ill effects, I suddenly developed the most excruciating knee pain (in one knee) in the middle of a longish mountain walk. It took me hours to get down the hills and back to the car, for I couldn't move my left leg further forward than the vertical position. The pain persisted for weeks, and eventually my doctor referred me to a physio.

It turn out to be an ITB problem. I was given some amazingly simple stretching exercises by the physio, and after a couple of weeks of these, the pain disappeared completely, never (touch wood) to return - so far. So I'm back to abusing my knees :D .

I suggest it may be worth checking this out as a cause of your problem.

I will second this suggestion of ITB problems for anyone getting pain that feels like its coming from the outside of the kneecap. It’s obviously not always gonna be the issue but quite often is. It’s one of the most common injuries in runners.
I thought I was going to have to give up running at one point as I was getting so many issues that ended up being ITB related and I had never heard of it until then. Look up ‘IT Band Stretches’ on YouTube and there will be loads of simple suggestions. Add in these stretches to your daily routine and possibly some foam rolling (Brutal) and see if it helps.

My upper thigh is now my issue. :(
emmseegee
Mountaineer

Munros:12   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby SabineS » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:46 pm

Knee pain can also be the result of placing your feet incorrectly while walking. If the weight goes too much to the insight or outside of your feet, you´ll strain the joints and ligaments in your foot differently than your body is used to, and differently from what is ideal. This is especially common while walking in uneven terrain such as a mountain... You can prevent it by watching your steps carefully, also in everyday life until you go back.
SabineS

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion