walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Advice Needed

Advice Needed

Postby Nick Cannon » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:36 am

I'm new to this website but it seems excellent for me to get more involved in hill/mountain walking.
I'm hoping I would be able to get some suggestions on good routes to take. I'm 17 and I've been involved in DoE(Silver) and the Cadets so my navigation skills are fairly competent. Wild camping is what I'm looking for and if possible routes accessible by public transport (not a necessity.) Any suggestions would be helpful :)
Nick Cannon

Munros:3   

Re: Advice Needed

Postby jmarkb » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:34 pm

Welcome to WH!

Can you help us narrow down the options a bit? Where do you live? How many days walking are you looking for? Do you want low level walking or do you want to include summits?

Nick Cannon wrote:I've been involved in DoE(Silver) and the Cadets so my navigation skills are fairly competent

I hope they are better than the average DoE candidate! :wink:
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Nick Cannon » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:44 am

I live in the east end of Glasgow so obviously not in the heart of the country side. Walking time anywhere between 2-3days , not massive distances but something that I can challenge myself on as well as easier walks that I can take my time with. I would like to start off low level walking so I can build up my confidence and then gradually build up to bigger summits. I've summited Ben Macdui while on adventurous training, although it was mid October so I couldn't see 5feet in front of me because of fog. For my Silver qualifying walk we walked the infamous Lairig Ghru and then connected onto another route. Something similar to that (maybe a little less difficult) would great.

Hope that helps :D
Nick Cannon

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:33 am

The Cairngorms are great for long-distance hiking, with good paths and a drier climate than the west coast. Ryvoan, Loch A'an, Glen Derry, Glen Lui and Glen Feshie are all good places to go hiking and camping. Aviemore is the easy access point, with bus, train and car access. Once you are there you can hitch-hike out to the nice places for hiking. Arran has some good terrain but is a bit seriously high and cliffy for the new kid, likewise Skye. The Galloway Hills in Ayrshire have some wild places but are a bit tricky to get to with lousy public transport. A good book for some home study is "Hillwalking and Scrambling" by Steve Ashton, available from Amazon for much cheapness. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hillwalking-Scrambling-Steve-Ashton/dp/094628458X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529404399&sr=8-1&keywords=Hillwalking+and+Scrambling+by+Steve+Ashton

Camping at King's House.jpg
Buchaille Etive Mhor in the background, camping near Glen Coe.

Glen Lui April 08 002.jpg
Glen Luibeg, Cairngorms
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Nick Cannon » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:43 pm

Thanks a bunch I'll be sure to check them out and hopefully get some decent pictures. I'll also be sure to invest in the book as well, knowledge is power!!!
Nick Cannon

Postby thatweebirdie » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:54 pm

If you wanted to start with a bit of limbering up, we have the John Muir Way running from Helensburgh across to Dunbar with pretty good transport links, at least on our side of the country; and the Three Lochs Way; there's also the Southern Upland Way - you can get a train to Sanquar from Glasgow Central as a starting point. And there's the WHW of course, but that might be a bit over-populated if you're looking for something a bit more off the beaten track.

Good luck with it, my son is busting to start Explorers so he can get cracking on his DoE, unfortunately for him he's got another two years burning his shirt on a campfire in Scouts before they let him loose on a hillside. :lol: :lol:
thatweebirdie
Hill Bagger

Munros:1   
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:7   

Postby Fiona Reid » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:04 pm

As you're Glasgow based how about train to Spean Bridge then walk back to Rannoch Station. That's about 42km. It's all on roads or tracks but you'll be walking close to various Munros and Corbetts so could easily add one on if you fancied. You'd also pass several bothies and Corrour Station so would have options for shelter or bailing early, plus you would past Loch Ossian Youth Hostel so could book in there to guarantee a dry sleep. I suspect you could easily deo this over two days but if you added on hill or took your time then you could stretch to 3 days.
Fiona Reid
Mountaineer

Munros:121   Corbetts:35
Fionas:219   Donalds:86
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:61   

Postby jmarkb » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:36 am

The Long Distance walks detailed on this site at https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/long-distance-routes.shtml would be a good place to start looking for inspiration: you can do as many or few sections as you like. The route finding on these is mostly straightforward, so it would be a good way to gain some experience and confidence. As said above, you might want to avoid the most popular ones (West highland Way in particular, possibly Great Glen Way too).
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Nick Cannon » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:13 pm

thatweebirdie wrote:unfortunately for him he's got another two years burning his shirt on a campfire in Scouts before they let him loose on a hillside. :lol: :lol:

Let's hope that he doesn't burn his shirt over a campifire once he does start, otherwise he might find DoE difficult! :lol: :lol:
Nick Cannon

Postby Nick Cannon » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:17 pm

Thanks for all of the brilliant suggestions people!! :clap:
Nick Cannon

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion