walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Liquid Alc Stove Provisions

Liquid Alc Stove Provisions

Postby Chris87GER » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:24 am

Hello dear hillwalkers,
I am off to Scotland from Germany for my third solo trip in a couple of weeks. As always the plane will land really late in Edinburgh. As always I will have to get my two bottles of methylated spirits in town, bc I won't be able to bring it on the plane.
This means to wait until 0900 or 0930 until shops open. At that time I would be much happy sitting on the train already.

Does any of you natives have a smart idea how to solve my problem?
Is there a super effective way to email-request hostel staff that I may sent them explosive materials for me to pick up? :?
Can I buy the stuff at a gas station that is open after midnight or before 8am?
I am heading for Taynuilt. I guess there is no shop there.
There would be a 20m train change at Glasgow. I guess it would be close to run to a shop with my pack on.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Chris87GER
Hill Bagger

Munros:21   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Liquid Alc Stove Provisions

Postby Driftwood » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:20 pm

I couldn't say whether they stock meths /fuel, but Google says that there is a shop in Taynuilt (Grahams Grocers).
And there's also a Spar shop at Loch Awe Holiday park, a bit over 2km away.

Depending on your train ticket and times, another option may be to get off one train in Tyndrum (Lower Station), or Crianlarich, visit a shop there, then catch the next train. Though that looks like almost 2 or even 3 hours between trains through the day, so might add more time than finding a shop earlier on your route.
Driftwood
Mountain Walker

Munros:244   Corbetts:60
Fionas:35   Donalds:27+23
Sub 2000:19   

Postby jac the lassie » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:42 pm

Decathlon out at the hermiston gait is open till 8.00 it's only 10/15 mins from the airport, so you could grab some on the way into Edinburgh. Obviously depends what time your planes coming in though and if your getting into town by taxi or bus.
jac the lassie
Hill Bagger

Munros:73   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:24   

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:21 am

Chris87GER wrote:Hello dear hillwalkers,
I am off to Scotland from Germany for my third solo trip in a couple of weeks. As always the plane will land really late in Edinburgh. As always I will have to get my two bottles of methylated spirits in town, bc I won't be able to bring it on the plane.
This means to wait until 0900 or 0930 until shops open. At that time I would be much happy sitting on the train already.

Does any of you natives have a smart idea how to solve my problem?
Is there a super effective way to email-request hostel staff that I may sent them explosive materials for me to pick up? :?
Can I buy the stuff at a gas station that is open after midnight or before 8am?
I am heading for Taynuilt. I guess there is no shop there.

Petrol stations in the highlands often sell methylated spirits, so do general merchants stores in small villages. If you are staying at a hostel, you could email the hostel staff and ask if they could buy a small bottle for you and you pay them for it when you get there. Does the hostel not have a cooker for you to use? Or will you be heading out into the wilds after the hostel, to camp? Taynuilt does have a shop which may or may not sell spirit for your stove, also a hotel and a smokery where you can buy smoked salmon which is very nice. A mile or two up the road from the Smokery is a caravan park which might sell meths. Oban, down the coast will certainly have somewhere that sells it, maybe the chandler's by the pier.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Chris87GER » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:53 pm

Thank you all so much! This is great food for thought!

The plan was to walk Glen Etive to Ben Starav to Bridge of Orchy. Then up towards to Konlochleven and meander off whereever I like. I plan to camp out in the hills and cook and eat accordingly.
Chris87GER
Hill Bagger

Munros:21   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:37 am

Chris87GER wrote:Thank you all so much! This is great food for thought!

The plan was to walk Glen Etive to Ben Starav to Bridge of Orchy. Then up towards to Konlochleven and meander off whereever I like. I plan to camp out in the hills and cook and eat accordingly.

Nice route, I hope the weather Gods are kind to you!

Ben Starav#r.jpg
Ben Starav

Glen Etive.jpg
Glen Etive in gloomy mood

Glen Etive Lairig Gartain#R.jpg
Lairig Gartain from Glen Etive

Rannoch Moor Moon#1.jpg
Moon over Rannoch Moor

Rannoch Moor Moon#5.jpg
Rannoch Moor
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion