walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Corrour toilet closure

Corrour toilet closure

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:50 am

From Thursday 21st July for about a month the toilet at Corrour Bothy will be closed. The extension which houses it will remain, but the entire interior of the structure is being removed pending replacement.
Removal operations will take place over Thursday and Friday and will involve a number of helicopter flights to fly out the old materials and offload the new, so people are warned that over this weekend they should a) take a tent, as the bothy will be very busy with volunteers for this and another work party, and b) DON'T PITCH THAT TENT NEAR THE BOTHY ON THE 22nd. This is for safety reasons because of the helicopter hovering overhead and to avoid obstructing the unloading operations.
Thanks for your forebearance. The redesigned toilet will make the job of maintenance volunteers much easier.
Between now and the re-opening of the toilet, visitors are urged to use the spade and toilet responsibly. https://www.mountaineering.scot/assets/contentfiles/pdf/where-to-go-leaflet.pdf
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Munros:125   Corbetts:16

Re: Corrour toilet closure

Postby Arthurs Eat » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:43 am

Thanks for that. I will be camping in the area on Sunday. Pity about the cludgie though a small piece of luxury indeed! :(
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:17   Donalds:38
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:08 pm

Apologies everyone. Got my months wrong.
The work to remove the toilet at Corrour will start on Thursday this week, June 21.
Sorry if that messes with anyone's plans.
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Postby Arthurs Eat » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:45 pm

Cairngormwanderer wrote:Apologies everyone. Got my months wrong.
The work to remove the toilet at Corrour will start on Thursday this week, June 21.
Sorry if that messes with anyone's plans.

Does this mean there will be a functioning cludgie by Sunday? :)
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:39 am

Depends which Sunday you mean. :lol:
Over Thursday and Friday we'll be ripping out the entire interior of the toilet and locking the door. The work to replace the interior with a new and improved design won't start for another month.
The reason for the delay is that we have to start this week so that we can get the use of the helicopter (whose main job is to carry the Garbh Choire Refuge materials in). We have plenty of volunteers, but not enough skilled project managers with the relevant knowledge to do both jobs simultaneously, and because we're all volunteers and have lives (however sad :lol: ) of our own... it'll be about a month before the toilet work starts.
More details here - https://cairngormwanderer.wordpress.com/2018/06/18/bothy-news-corrour-and-garbh-coire-refuge/
Sorry about the in-convenience.
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Postby Arthurs Eat » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:30 am

Cairngormwanderer wrote:Depends which Sunday you mean. :lol:
Over Thursday and Friday we'll be ripping out the entire interior of the toilet and locking the door. The work to replace the interior with a new and improved design won't start for another month.
The reason for the delay is that we have to start this week so that we can get the use of the helicopter (whose main job is to carry the Garbh Choire Refuge materials in). We have plenty of volunteers, but not enough skilled project managers with the relevant knowledge to do both jobs simultaneously, and because we're all volunteers and have lives (however sad :lol: ) of our own... it'll be about a month before the toilet work starts.
More details here - https://cairngormwanderer.wordpress.com/2018/06/18/bothy-news-corrour-and-garbh-coire-refuge/
Sorry about the in-convenience.

Trowel and squat it is then :(
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Postby m0ns00n » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:33 pm

Thanks for the heads up cairngormwanderer.

I'd been planning to stay here on the 11th August. Is the toilet likely to still be closed by then?
m0ns00n
Mountain Walker

Munros:214   Corbetts:23
Fionas:11   Donalds:28
Sub 2000:6   
Walk wish-list

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:31 pm

Not sure at the moment. Hoping it should all be sorted by the end of this month, but that depends on when the wood butcher can manage. Ill post something on here when it's done anyway.
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Postby Graeme D » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:25 pm

I was at that cludgie a few weeks ago. I half expected to be getting the blame for its closure! :shock: :lol: Wouldn't be the first one I have incapacitated in my time!
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:19 pm

Graeme D wrote:I was at that cludgie a few weeks ago. I half expected to be getting the blame for its closure! :shock: :lol: Wouldn't be the first one I have incapacitated in my time!

Knew it was only a matter of time before someone confessed. The bill for the helicopter and materials for the rebuild is on its way to you. :lol:
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Postby Graeme D » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:31 pm

Cairngormwanderer wrote:
Graeme D wrote:I was at that cludgie a few weeks ago. I half expected to be getting the blame for its closure! :shock: :lol: Wouldn't be the first one I have incapacitated in my time!

Knew it was only a matter of time before someone confessed. The bill for the helicopter and materials for the rebuild is on its way to you. :lol:

Send it for the attention of the Duke of Edinburgh. Technically I was there in his name! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:27 pm

Graeme D wrote:
Cairngormwanderer wrote:

Send it for the attention of the Duke of Edinburgh. Technically I was there in his name! :lol:

What? The Duke of Edinburgh said "Graeme, I need a ****. Go up to Corrour and squeeze one out for me." ??? No, I don't believe that for a moment. It would have been the Gelder Sheil he sent you to. I hope you've not got that wrong. :lol:
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Postby crfishwick » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:37 pm

[quote="Cairngormwanderer"]From Thursday 21st July for about a month the toilet at Corrour Bothy will be closed. /quote]

What toilet? You can tell how long it been since I've been there. :wink:
crfishwick

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:11 pm

crfishwick wrote:What toilet? You can tell how long it been since I've been there. :wink:

I can tell that it's at least 12 years since you've been there because that's when we built the toilet. :D Time you got back up there, but I'd give it a week or two until we get the damned thing rebuilt.
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Postby crfishwick » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:20 pm

Cairngormwanderer wrote:
crfishwick wrote:What toilet? You can tell how long it been since I've been there. :wink:

I can tell that it's at least 12 years since you've been there because that's when we built the toilet. :D Time you got back up there, but I'd give it a week or two until we get the damned thing rebuilt.

Cor Blimey! 12 years time fly's! Great to know you are a MBA volunteer. Great job you do. :thumbup: Maybe I will get back there someday. Even if it is only to remove a coat hook (That's a joke that most people won't get)
crfishwick

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion