walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Food for a 4 day camp.

Food for a 4 day camp.


Postby TaiGianni » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:12 am

As the title says.

I made a post not long ago asking for some tips as I'm heading out at the end of July, and I received some fantastic information which I appreciate muchly! I have another question, however, and I feel as if my last post may have been lost to the forums (At least I couldn't see it on my feed).

My question is; What sort of food is viable to take over 4 days for 6 people? We're talking about quite a lot I guess. And as we will be staying in one spot for the duration we will be okay taking a cooler, as while we will be taking walks, we will be returning to our 'campsite'. Is it possible to take any kind of meat to cook? Will it even last long enough? I've looked at some of the boil-in-the-bag stuff made specifically for this, and that'll definitely be an option for us, but I was wondering whether you could take other, less processed foods(For hiking/camping, not talking about sweet foods) like meat etc? I mean, we do plan on fishing, but none of us are massively experienced in gutting and cooking fish. I mean we can try, i'm not sure if there are any risks for not cooking is properly etc?

Any help on this subject is much appreciated! Thanks!
TaiGianni
Hill Bagger
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Jun 12, 2018

Re: Food for a 4 day camp.

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:53 am

This a problem for all campers in the summer. Winter temperatures might keep your meat cold enough, but summer heat just makes it poisonous very quickly. We have to compromise, by using only tinned meat such as corned beef, spam and ham, or spicy sausages like salami. Dehydrated meat such as jerky is a poor substitute, and can be very tough - like eating boot leather - and results in terrible flatulence so sharing a tent is likely to lead to horrific situations. Smoked sausage is available , shrink-wrapped in plastic and does not need to be kept in a fridge, just eat it all once the packet is opened. A good thing to have with these meats is dehydrated pasta, available for much cheapness as packets with tomato and herb sauce, just add to boiling water. dehydrated vegetables and stock cubes are available in supermarkets so it is cheap and easy to make a decent meal from these, though you may want to stop in at pubs to get something freshly cooked and different if you get fed up and bored of the same thing.

charlie-chaplin-eats-his-boots-TheGoldRush.jpg
Eat your own boots


Unicorn_Meat.jpg
Tinned meat - tasty.


Shoal of mackerel.JPG
Catch some fish
User avatar
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging
 
Posts: 7468
Joined: Feb 5, 2009

Re: Food for a 4 day camp.

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:56 am

Oh and fish it generally ok to eat, not cooking it properly just makes it taste a bit yukky. Just cook it til the flesh looks opaque and white throughout, not translucent like when it's raw. Japanese people eat sushi and they do just fine.

Skye Brownie.JPG
There are trout in the lochs too...
User avatar
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging
 
Posts: 7468
Joined: Feb 5, 2009

Re: Food for a 4 day camp.

Postby TaiGianni » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:20 pm

Smoked sausage, pasta and a good sauce sounds like quite a nice meal actually, and seeing the amount of people that will be feeding we'll definitely cook it all at once. And as long as fish are okay in terms of cooking (Not too difficult) we'll definitely give it a try!

I've also heard that corned beef/spam can make a fairly tasty meal if combined with the right ingredients, i might have to look something up. Thanks for the info!
TaiGianni
Hill Bagger
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Jun 12, 2018

Re: Food for a 4 day camp.

Postby Phil the Hill » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:35 pm

Good quality salami or saucisson sec from a a supermarket or deli makes an excellent addition if chopped up and added to a packet pasta or couscous meal. If you can catch some small fish, just fry them up, chop off the heads and tails and add the flesh instead of salami.

Do read the instructions on the packets of pasta before setting out though. On my last trip I found I was supposed to add some milk to a macaroni cheese packet - not easy to find at Loch Callater bothy. We improvised by adding cheese and water, and it worked surprisingly well.
User avatar
Phil the Hill
Walker
 
Posts: 345
Munros:261   Corbetts:26
Grahams:5   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:8
Joined: Sep 22, 2010
Location: Wallington, Surrey

Re: Food for a 4 day camp.

Postby TaiGianni » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:43 pm

Yup, reading packets will definitely be a priority :D I'm starting to think of things we can add to the fish, but I'm also questioning what we do about the fish bones? Aren't they annoying, sharp and a pain to get rid of?
TaiGianni
Hill Bagger
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Jun 12, 2018

Re: Food for a 4 day camp.

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:36 pm

Usually fish bones will be easy to pull off the flesh when properly cooked; the spine and ribs come away easily from a cooked mackerel or trout, with just the fin-bones to prise out with a fork or your fingers. It is all much easier when cooked than when raw. Brown bread and butter is good with fried/baked fish, mackerel especially seem to go well with a pool of balsamic vinegar on the plate. If you visit a café or pub where you get a basket of condiments such as ketchup, mayonnaise or mustard, be sure to get your money's worth and pocket a few for use when camping. Little salt/pepper sachets too.

LochEilMackerel.jpg
First catch your mackerel...
User avatar
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging
 
Posts: 7468
Joined: Feb 5, 2009

Re: Food for a 4 day camp.

Postby Arthurs Eat » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:27 pm

Phil the Hill wrote:Good quality salami or saucisson sec from a a supermarket or deli makes an excellent addition if chopped up and added to a packet pasta or couscous meal. If you can catch some small fish, just fry them up, chop off the heads and tails and add the flesh instead of salami.

Do read the instructions on the packets of pasta before setting out though. On my last trip I found I was supposed to add some milk to a macaroni cheese packet - not easy to find at Loch Callater bothy. We improvised by adding cheese and water, and it worked surprisingly well.


Please remember to gut the fish first! :? Cut from chin to anus and dig the innards oot! :shock:
User avatar
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 544
Munros:216   Corbetts:24
Grahams:11   Donalds:25
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:28   Islands:5
Joined: Aug 1, 2011
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Food for a 4 day camp.

Postby TaiGianni » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:42 pm

Arthurs Eat wrote:
Phil the Hill wrote:Good quality salami or saucisson sec from a a supermarket or deli makes an excellent addition if chopped up and added to a packet pasta or couscous meal. If you can catch some small fish, just fry them up, chop off the heads and tails and add the flesh instead of salami.

Do read the instructions on the packets of pasta before setting out though. On my last trip I found I was supposed to add some milk to a macaroni cheese packet - not easy to find at Loch Callater bothy. We improvised by adding cheese and water, and it worked surprisingly well.


Please remember to gut the fish first! :? Cut from chin to anus and dig the innards oot! :shock:

Fair enough. Is it just as simple as scooping it out? Or do you have to "dig a little"? Worried about scooping most out but missing something :D
TaiGianni
Hill Bagger
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Jun 12, 2018

Re: Food for a 4 day camp.

Postby rgf101 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:58 pm

I reckon if you could freeze the meat, keep it in a cooler (with ice? frozen bottles of water, which might be lovely after a long walk?), and maybe keep the cooler in a handy chilly loch... well, I reckon I'd like to know the results of that experiment.
rgf101
 
Posts: 400
Joined: Jan 21, 2014

Re: Food for a 4 day camp.

Postby TaiGianni » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:50 pm

rgf101 wrote:I reckon if you could freeze the meat, keep it in a cooler (with ice? frozen bottles of water, which might be lovely after a long walk?), and maybe keep the cooler in a handy chilly loch... well, I reckon I'd like to know the results of that experiment.

I think that'll be an experiment for a future camp :D
TaiGianni
Hill Bagger
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Jun 12, 2018

Re: Food for a 4 day camp.

Postby Arthurs Eat » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:43 pm

TaiGianni wrote:
Arthurs Eat wrote:
Phil the Hill wrote:Good quality salami or saucisson sec from a a supermarket or deli makes an excellent addition if chopped up and added to a packet pasta or couscous meal. If you can catch some small fish, just fry them up, chop off the heads and tails and add the flesh instead of salami.

Do read the instructions on the packets of pasta before setting out though. On my last trip I found I was supposed to add some milk to a macaroni cheese packet - not easy to find at Loch Callater bothy. We improvised by adding cheese and water, and it worked surprisingly well.


Please remember to gut the fish first! :? Cut from chin to anus and dig the innards oot! :shock:

Fair enough. Is it just as simple as scooping it out? Or do you have to "dig a little"? Worried about scooping most out but missing something :D

Scoop it oil out and wash.
User avatar
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 544
Munros:216   Corbetts:24
Grahams:11   Donalds:25
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:28   Islands:5
Joined: Aug 1, 2011
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Food for a 4 day camp.

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:26 am

I was going to say, "bet there's something on YouTube about how to gut a mackerel", then I looked. You don't have to fillet them like this guy does, and leaving the tail on gives you a kind of handle to hold the fish with. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+how+to+gut+a+mackerel&qpvt=youtube+how+to+gut+a+mackerel&view=detail&mid=2EDB9ABD3649074633E72EDB9ABD3649074633E7&&FORM=VRDGAR
User avatar
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging
 
Posts: 7468
Joined: Feb 5, 2009

Re: Food for a 4 day camp.

Postby TaiGianni » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:56 am

Alright alright I didn't get a chance yesterday :D Thanks for the link nonetheless
TaiGianni
Hill Bagger
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Jun 12, 2018




Walkhighlands community forum is advert free


Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?



Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests