walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Trump Turnberry?!

Trump Turnberry?!

Postby mynthdd2 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:29 am

As I was faffing through the Southern Uplands 'walks' pages on WalkHighlands I was a little surprised to see on the Hawick routes page an ad for Trump Turnberry - considering what a **** he is should there not be some form of ethical standards on this site?
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Re: Trump Turnberry?!

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:37 am

Money, money, money...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby helenw » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:54 am

Just for info - these are automated ads served by Google, we can and do block offensive categories but I don't think this could include a golf course.
helenw
Site Admin

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:19   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:93

Postby thatweebirdie » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:21 pm

Can we all walk there en masse and throw Irn Bru all over his carpets?
thatweebirdie
Hill Bagger

Munros:1   
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:7   

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:30 pm

helenw wrote:Just for info - these are automated ads served by Google, we can and do block offensive categories but I don't think this could include a golf course.

Depends on one's views on Gofl; to my mind it is one of the most horrendous of diseases to afflict the human race since the Black Death of the 13th Century. A terminal disease curable only by trout fishing, it makes the sufferer wear stupid clothes (Pringle jumpers and slacks for pity's sake) and wander aimlessly around parkland which could otherwise be partially flooded to make a nice trout loch. Many people have died needlessly from this terrible affliction; two of my favourite actors, Bing Crosby and Bob Hope - both cut down in their prime by the horrendous disease of Gofl.

Bing and Bob and Dorothy Lamour.jpg
Bing and Bob stealing my girlfriend Dorothy Lamour
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Graeme D » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:09 pm

Rumbled! I had long suspected that Paul was a closet Trump fan! You can take the lad out of Grimsby, but you can't take Grimsby out of the lad! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Sgurr » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:15 pm

When I sold golf books, very near the 18th hole on The Old Course, golfers used to patronise my shop. One such was describing how her grand-daughter had applied to their club, and to check if she was OK had to play a round with a senior member. "Is there anything you need to know? " "What happens if they DIE, granny" "Well, you win of course, but just summon an adult. You should be OK." The conversation turned to death on the links. An American customer OWNED a golf course, and said it had happened on hers in the middle of some tournament. They had just pulled the body into the rough and carried on. I can't think of any other "sport" where this would have happened. Imagine pulling a body into the tramlines at Wimbledon. Out of real, or assumed respect, they would cancel the rest of the game if not complete fixture.

Re ads. I complained to Helen about ads for funeral plans following me around the site, and they seem to have stopped. Good heavens, you don't want to be thinking of that at 79. Far too soon.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Graeme D » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:39 pm

My brother used to work in the golf shop at Gleneagles and part of their job was to book out caddies, mostly to rich American tourists playing a round. He and his colleagues (either with or without the knowledge and approval of said caddies) used to invent names for the caddies. One was called Hugh Jass and he often recounts the tale of the time a Pringle clad American of a certain age hollered across the shop to his wife "Hey honey, you got Hugh Jass!" :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Gareth Harper » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:09 pm

I can't think of any other "sport" where this would have happened.

How about climbing?
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:83
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Sgurr » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:52 pm

Gareth Harper wrote:
I can't think of any other "sport" where this would have happened.

How about climbing?

Are these stories of people pushing past dying climbers to get to the summit of Everest ? I thought they were tabloidese.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby mynthdd2 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:51 pm

"...to play golf is to spoil an otherwise enjoyable walk.” ps not Mark Twain apparently...so my original point that Trump (despite being half Hebridean?) is a 4 star **** is now made worse by Google putting a golf ad on a walking website.
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby Billbobaggins » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:02 pm

mynthdd2 wrote:As I was faffing through the Southern Uplands 'walks' pages on WalkHighlands I was a little surprised to see on the Hawick routes page an ad for Trump Turnberry - considering what a **** he is should there not be some form of ethical standards on this site?

Not seen the aforementioned offensive advert personally... I blame the cookies! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Billbobaggins

Munros:85   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:48   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:49 pm

I find it bizarre that anyone would care so much about an advert. Maybe if I had the ethical wisdom of the OP I would feel differently?

Also, golfers ain't all bad :wink: .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby rockhopper » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:48 pm

LeithySuburbs wrote:Also, golfers ain't all bad :wink: .
A sentiment with which I certainly could not disagree (at least in public)
.........after all, my wife's a golfer.......... :lol: :wink: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby al78 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:17 am

LeithySuburbs wrote:I find it bizarre that anyone would care so much about an advert. Maybe if I had the ethical wisdom of the OP I would feel differently?

Also, golfers ain't all bad :wink: .

Quite. I really don't get all these irrational stereotypes people seem to come out with. I don't even get what the moral dilemma is.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion