walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Free Vango Banshee tent at Corrour Bothy

Free Vango Banshee tent at Corrour Bothy

Postby EvilScotsman » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:30 pm

Just to let anyone aware that I left a tent at the Corrour bothy in the Lairig Ghru yesterday as I was planning to return to the bothy later in the day but because of the sheer heat and lack of water on the Cairn Toul - Braeriach Traverse and descending at the northern end I ended up really struggling as I'd walked in from Glen Feshie on the previous day and coming across Sgor Gaoith, Mullach Clach a' Blair, Monadh Mor and Beinn Bhrotain to arrive at the bothy, after 2 days walking the heat really took its toll and I was offered a lift from a really kind guy who was parked at the car park at the North end back into Aviemore.
I really didn't want to go leaving anything at the bothy so if it is still there and someone wants it feel free to help yourselves, it's a Vango Banshee tent (2 man I believe) and is fairly new and only been used a handful of times.
EvilScotsman
Mountaineer

Munros:195   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:13   

Re: Free Vango Banshee tent at Corrour Bothy

Postby rockhopper » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:51 pm

You might be best also to advise Cairngorm MRT in case someone reports an empty tent - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby davekeiller » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:36 pm

Might be a good idea to let Braemar MRT know, too.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:51 pm

Damn. The amount of rubbish festival tents I've burned or carried out from Corrour, and now the first time someone leaves a decent one I'm planning a weekend at home. :(
Braemar MRT are the folk who cover that area. Might be worth calling Mar Lodge too, just in case anyone's handed it in there.
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Munros:125   Corbetts:16

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:45 am

Actually, the more I think of this the more I'm inclined to believe it's just littering. Fair enough, if the OP just bit off more than he could chew because of the heat. I had some sympathy for his loss at first.
But that's a tent, (and presumably sleeping bag, cooker, food etc?) left in the middle of the Cairngorms with no hint that he intends to go back in for it. Ever. It's not even as though it's somewhere inaccessible: you can get in and out of there in a short day.
Happy to be persuaded otherwise, but I've come to the conclusion the OP is just someone else who doesn't care about the mess they leave behind them.
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Postby Arthurs Eat » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:47 am

Litter is t just bits of paper blowing in the wind. Someone will have to carry this out whether they want it or not.
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:17   Donalds:38
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Postby Giant Stoneater » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:11 am

To me Evil Scotsman lives up to his name,it's litter and it's bloody lazy to leave it there,why didn't he cut his walk short to retrieve it.To let someone else do his dirty work is unexcusable.
To say there is a free tent if you want to carry it out for me is a very lame excuse.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby charlie7000 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:22 am

He could've said nothing at all...
charlie7000
Scrambler

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:13 am

That's his only saving grace in this. At least it allowed Braemar MRT to be informed. (I don't know if he responded to the suggestion that he inform them, but I did. They were grateful for the news and as unimpressed by his abandonment.)
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Postby Sgurr » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:01 am

Suppose somebody went in and fetched it? After this, are all Vango Banshees there at risk of removal for the next month or so? Evil Scotsman. If you are still reading this thread, what else is there, so whoever takes it can be sure its yours.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:12 am

Sgurr wrote:Suppose somebody went in and fetched it? After this, are all Vango Banshees there at risk of removal for the next month or so? Evil Scotsman. If you are still reading this thread, what else is there, so whoever takes it can be sure its yours.

Alternatively, he could go out there this weekend and get the thing himself.
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Postby Old Stag » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:19 pm

Take it in, take it out.
Old Stag

Postby EvilScotsman » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:02 am

I just want to apologise to everyone that I have upset by my actions the other day. And also for not returning to this forum to check on what people have been saying. I am still fairly new to this and never thought that I should have informed Braemar MRT and thank you Cairngorm Wanderer for doing so. What I never made clear also was that my tent was left rolled up inside the bothy and not pitched outside incase of any confusion on that and I do plan on returning to the area in the near future but things like work, not owning a car and looking after my 3 year old son at weekends mean I'm not sure how soon that will be and by saying there was a free tent I was just meaning anyone that comes along before me can have it if they want. I am really sorry that I didn't take the tent with me when I started walking that day and after reading these replies I will never do anything like that again and also may not post on this site again. Cheers and sorry :(
EvilScotsman
Mountaineer

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:45 am

Aye, well I suppose **** happens to the best of us. (I have a cagoule, packet of fags, lighter and quarter bottle of whisky I left behind a tree on Creag Bhalg 43 years ago. Never did find it again.) Might have avoided some of the flak if you'd explained the situation and your intentions a bit better in the OP. But hey ho. If no-one's picked it up in the meantime there's a work party heading up that way in a couple of weekends or so.
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Postby EvilScotsman » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:46 pm

Aye I totally agree I didn't explain it too well. And I hate littering as much as anyone so I can understand that people see it that way and aren't too happy. I just thought if I posted it on here then maybe if I couldn't get back there in the next few weeks then someone could get a use out of it or take it for themselves. I'm sure Il find out when I eventually return to the scene of the crime. Maybe the bottle of whisky I consumed the previous night had something to do with my poor conditioning so that's another lesson learned.
EvilScotsman
Mountaineer

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion