walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Bog factor

Bog factor

Postby Fairweather Softie » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:36 pm

I had a thought today about hills I should try and get out of the way during this prolonged period of good weather, I had put off Beinn Mhanach due to crossing a few rivers but will assume that these will be almost dry beds for Saturday.

Is there any others that spring to mind that I should tackle just now? Does not need to be Munro height as I cant really face the 2 - 3hr drive each way and I suppose you could add time to return journey with all the weekend drivers out for sunshine.
Fairweather Softie
Walker

Munros:220   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:6

Re: Bog factor

Postby cmarcol » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:45 pm

Beinn Chabhair. I remember being really glad it was frozen when I was there!

I’m thinking about Beinn Oss and Dubhcraig soon as the river will be nice and low.
cmarcol
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:22
Fionas:6   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:16 pm

Am Faochagach which is very boggy and quite often has a serious river crossing. :shock:
Sunset tripper

Postby prog99 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:17 pm

The burn crossings on Mhanach are pretty tame most of the time. Also Oss etc can be easily done with no burn crossings from the farm.

I'd go for Gairich in these conditions, the bog there requires either a hard freeze or conditions like they are now.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby prog99 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:17 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:Am Faochagach which is very boggy and quite often has a serious river crossing. :shock:

Only if you choose the boggy way with a river crossing. Nice way in from the east.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Driftwood » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:36 pm

I can report (rather than writing a proper report) that the approach to Oss and Dubdchraig was already comfortable a month ago. It probably caught a bit of rain a few days later, but that will have long disappeared by now.

And the usual approach to Gairich was also tolerable 4 weeks ago.

I didn't get around to, but had considered, Creag Mhor and Ben S/Heasgarnaich, also on the notoriously boggy list, nor the 3 southwest of Crianlarich, though I see that you've already ticked those.

Further afield, there's a normally-wet plateau between Beinn Bhreac and Beinn a' Chaorainn. And some of the Carn Ealar / An Sgarsoch route, though that's a very long walk for hot, tiring weather. Plenty of boggy ground on the Monadhliath three behind Newtonmore, or the two east of Loch Treig (which are also possible by train).
Driftwood
Mountain Walker

Munros:244   Corbetts:60
Fionas:35   Donalds:27+23
Sub 2000:19   

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:52 pm

prog99 wrote:
Sunset tripper wrote:Am Faochagach which is very boggy and quite often has a serious river crossing. :shock:

Only if you choose the boggy way with a river crossing. Nice way in from the east.

Yes very true though I have never tried a route in from the east I imagine it's a lot longer day. Am Faochagach for me is less than an hour drive and less than 5 hours on the hill by using the river crossing so a good half day, at this time of year I can start late afternoon.
My tactics now which I would recommend is boots and socks in rucksack and wear just an old pair of trainers from the car until you cross the river. Then change back into trainers at the river for the return and keep them on all the way back to the road. The river can be very entertaining and recently I found it quite impassable - less than two weeks ago :shock:

Might try going in from the east one day, do you mean from the dam or from further north?
Sunset tripper

Postby Fairweather Softie » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:04 am

Thanks for suggestions, last hill in the area is Mhanach so may just head for there with a very early start to try and avoid the chaos of the A82 on way back to Glasgow if the sun is out, hopefully I will be back before the masses decide to head back to Glasgow.

Good shout about Newtonmore hills thou.

Should have been more prepared and I could have done a overnighter.
Fairweather Softie
Walker

Munros:220   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:6

Postby abbruce » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:19 am

Did Mhanich on 31st May & even then the crossings were only about 6 inches deep.

You'll have no bother at all, until you come to the 600m ascent up the pathless grassy slope :D
abbruce
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:23
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:68   

Postby spiderwebb » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:02 pm

Taking the WH route for Oss and Dubhcraig, you can descend directly north off Ben Oss taking a line down a spur until you reach the floor of the glen where you can either head over to the track or just head towards the farm at Cononish across the meadow, easy walking. The river was easy to cross at the beginning of June so shouldn't be any different now.
Saves retracing your steps :D Or of course come in via Cononish and aim for the northern spur of Oss, or take the line of the last burn coming down from Oss :D
The walk out through the woods beneath Dubhcraig were no problem a month back, although still a couple of wet spots :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby CharlesT » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:07 am

abbruce wrote:Did Mhanich on 31st May & even then the crossings were only about 6 inches deep.

You'll have no bother at all, until you come to the 600m ascent up the pathless grassy slope :D

Still think the better approach to Mhanach is from Glen Lyon. You get a fine walk alongside the loch, no tricky river crossings and a chance to visit Tigh nam Bodach.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Sgurr » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:04 pm

You can walk dry shod between the Wainwrights High Seat and High Tove around which we have been wandering where the bog is supposed to be the last resting place of some unfortunate.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Tinto63 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:55 pm

One for Galloway enthusiasts:- the crossing from Meikle Mulltaggert to Craignelder / Millfore Hill past the Coo Lochans was very nearly dry and firm on 30 June, and should be even dryer now.
Tinto63
Wanderer

Munros:129   Corbetts:46
Fionas:38   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:30   

Postby CharlesT » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:53 pm

Sgurr wrote:You can walk dry shod between the Wainwrights High Seat and High Tove around which we have been wandering where the bog is supposed to be the last resting place of some unfortunate.

That's cheating! You will have to go back after a month of rain and do them in the ordained conditions. :lol:
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion