walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

GPS noviceseeking help !!

GPS noviceseeking help !!

Postby Teels64 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:59 am

Hi, looking for some help here. I just bought a new handheld gps device (ordnance survey trail). I’ve been excited to get going with this and try it out but I’m having lots of problems getting any routes onto it. First port of call has been walk highlands but when I download the gpx file from selected routes then try to add the route to ordnance survey maps on desktop it says it has copyright by walk highlands. I thought these were available to download for people to use on these devices. So I signed up for a 28 day free trial with Munro magic. But when I download their file and try to add it to ordnance survey maps it says their is no route on the file. All other files on Munro magic are KLM ? Can these be converted somehow. Really lost and I’m not very tech minded. I thought it would be easier than this. I use walk highlands for every walk I do and any help would really be appreciated. I just want to get out and start using this gps on the hills. Cheers
Teels64
Munro compleatist

Munros:10   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   

Re: GPS noviceseeking help !!

Postby Paul Webster » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:41 am

The Ordnance survey take liscensing rights over all routes used on their software, which means that OS software (unlike others) is not compatible with route sites like Walkhighlands.

However they are changing their approach to respect copyright very shortly - my understanding is that after they have done that you will be able to use our routes with OS devices/software. I'm expecting this to happen very soon and will post again once I'm notified (if you are in a hurry you could ask the OS)
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Teels64 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:13 am

Ah ok, thank you for this information. To be honest I wanted a Garmin GPS but the one I bought was £175 reduced from £435 in a closing down sale hence why I bought it. I will wait and see how it goes and hopefully they can sort this issue soon. Thanks for the rapid response. Heading up Lochnagar this morning with my walk highlands route in hand. Cheers
Teels64
Munro compleatist

Munros:10   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:16 pm

Just to let you know that OS have advised us that our routes are now available to use - as long as kept private to yourself - within their apps; they will now respect copyright. I'm guessing this should apply to your GPS as well - though if you have any problems you'd need to contact the OS.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby crfishwick » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:18 pm

Teels64 wrote:Ah ok, thank you for this information. To be honest I wanted a Garmin GPS but the one I bought was £175 reduced from £435 in a closing down sale hence why I bought it. I will wait and see how it goes and hopefully they can sort this issue soon. Thanks for the rapid response. Heading up Lochnagar this morning with my walk highlands route in hand. Cheers

I would have gone with a Garmin not a newby on the block OS! Don't know who makes them for them so a bit hit and miss at the moment. For that price a Garmin plus mapping would be more reliable IMHO.

Hey Ho! I've been down the same road with Satmap, MemoryMap and others.

Why wouldn't the OS Gps read a gpx file! Baffling that. Nothing to do with OS licencing as it just a route or track and mapping does not come into it. Similar to SatMap although with these you can convert a gpx.
crfishwick

Postby crfishwick » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:13 pm

Teels64 wrote:Hi, looking for some help here. I just bought a new handheld gps device (ordnance survey trail). I’ve been excited to get going with this and try it out but I’m having lots of problems getting any routes onto it. First port of call has been walk highlands but when I download the gpx file from selected routes then try to add the route to ordnance survey maps on desktop it says it has copyright by walk highlands. I thought these were available to download for people to use on these devices. So I signed up for a 28 day free trial with Munro magic. But when I download their file and try to add it to ordnance survey maps it says their is no route on the file. All other files on Munro magic are KLM ? Can these be converted somehow. Really lost and I’m not very tech minded. I thought it would be easier than this. I use walk highlands for every walk I do and any help would really be appreciated. I just want to get out and start using this gps on the hills. Cheers

Just had another look after my previous post that I cannot edit! I suggest sending it back for a refund and stick with your first impressions. Garmin. I do not have any affiliations to any company.
crfishwick

Postby Les Mitchell » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:39 pm

As you have an OS GPS unit I would suggest that you should use the online OS maps subscription to which I believe comes with the unit you purchased. This will reduce the potential for software gliches.

I will be frank, if you want to practice with this unit then you should practice making your own routes on OS maps using waypoints and download it to your unit. Then as you use this route your unit will also create its own track or route as you go along. After the walk download and edit the route or track on OS maps and keep it there. You can also download your new edited track or route to your unit for further use.

In my opinion GPS units are the most significant improvement in micro navigation since OS first started producing maps. There is a lot to them and I would suggest that you do NOT start to learn on the hills. Choose an area near where you live, say a large park and use OS maps to create a routs on it and use that to practice basic skills such as going to waypoints, saving tracks, navigating with a track and reversing the track and walking back to your origin.

I have a Garmin Extrex 10 which I use with Garmin Basecamp and OS maps. OS maps is really good as you can print out A4 size maps which will have the grid numbers at each box. I print mine out on photographic paper which is waterproof.

I also take this map and a compass to practice navigation skills and keep them up to date. It is a given that I take fully charged batteries and a fully charged spare set every time. A potential problem with GPS is jamming during military exercises which will block the signal and render them useless, hence another reason reason for taking a map and compass.

Good luck with your practicing and get back in touch if you have any other questions.
Les Mitchell
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion