walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Thank you to all who give people a lift.

Thank you to all who give people a lift.

Postby GoodOldNorm » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:44 am

A big thank you to the guy from Huddersfield in his big white van who gave us a lift from Shiel Bridge to the start of the Five Sisters of Kintail on Friday. We had a great but long day doing the full ridge. Once the morning cloud had cleared we enjoyed extensive views as far as the eye could see. I always give people a lift if I have room in the car, may the tradition of helping each other long continue.
GoodOldNorm
Rock-climber

Re: Thank you to all who give people a lift.

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:03 am

I like to give hitchers a lift, I have met a lot of interesting people that way. I came to driving late in life, so hitched around for many years. Now I feel I should pay it back and give lifts to hitchers when I can. Just think, some of you may have been given lifts by me without you even knowing! If I won the lottery I'd like to cruise the highlands giving lifts to hitchers in my gold Rolls-Royce...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:52 am

100% agree with the OP. I always try and give fellow hill-walkers a lift if I can. At the worst you get a sweaty stinky body stinking up your car for half an hour or so. At best you can get ace company with a like-minded Soul for part of your drive back home.

I once got a lift from a lovely gal when I'd just finished the South Glen Sheil Ridge and was making my way back UP the way to the Cluanie Inn. She had just done the Saddle and the Forcan Ridge. I had been walking for about 50 mins and had just about given up all hope. But this lovely lady restored my faith in humanity. 16th June 2013.

Give a lift when you can folks. It's nice to be nice. :clap: :D
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:56 pm

Yes, and you do meet some interesting people.
Can remember stopping for hitchhiker near Braemore junction. Was a bit hesitant as he had a very large bag with him. Turned out he was a paraglider and the bag had his folded up gear - he explained how he and his friends go paragliding, often having to hitch as they don’t know exactly where they’ll land - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby CharlesT » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:41 pm

Having (mis)spent my youth hitching backwards and forwards to the Lakes and Wales almost every weekend I now try to pick up climbers and walkers whenever possible. Some are entertaining some dull, but all grateful. There are downsides, I once picked up a lady fruit picker in Somerset who was going home after a hot summer's day in the fields, enough to say she was "ripe" and not in the way that expression might be used alternatively.

I have had some great lifts at times - an E-type across the north pennines, an open top Facel Vega from Ambleside to Windermere and more than one Rolls Royce, countered by terrifying rides along the Langdale Valley in dilapidated vans driven by lunatic climbers. Happy Days!
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Glengavel » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:43 pm

Worst lift I ever got was the two miles from Bridge of Awe (I'd been on a hike round the back of Ben Cruachan) to Taynuilt. Why was it the worst? Because I was supposed to be at Lochawe, at the other end of the Pass of Brander. Did I get a lift at any point during that excruciating nine mile trudge? Take a wild guess...
Glengavel
Walker

Munros:29   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:29   Islands:19

Postby DopeyLoser » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:13 pm

A friend told me a while back that hitch hiking has all but died out. Yes I know people still do it a bit but apparently it's not like in the old days.

I used to get the train from Glasgow out to Balloch, walk up to the roundabout at the A82 and ... thumb out and off we go. Many a winter evening spent with the thumb out at Bridge of Orchy trying to get back home, after the last train had already gone and the money had all been spent at the pub. You'd see headlights coming down the Black Mount, wait, wait, wait, shiver, wait, thumb out and .... nope!

I recall a friend telling me about a lift he got a lift from a couple in their Rolls Royce. No airs or graces. Just ordinary decent people, who happened to have a Rolls. And I recall hitching north at the M1 just outside of London: a hackney cab stopped. I told him I wasn't hailing a taxi but he told me it's okay, I'm giving you a lift. Took me one or two hundred miles as I recall.

You'd meet nice people by and large. I remember being on the road across Ben Lawers, single track road (the ideal for hitching). Family stopped, took me down Glen Lyon. Stopped for a picnic lunch, asked me to join in. Didn't need to be asked twice! Same idea from the old RN officer who figured we ought to stop in at Inverarnan and that no, I couldn't buy him a pint, because he was paying!

Yes, thank you to all who gave people a lift. Long may the tradition continue.
DopeyLoser

Postby basscadet » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:44 pm

I feel awful passing hitched by in the bus, even though it's very rare it's not full.. I got room for a few in the boot :lol: not allowed to tho :?
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:32 am

basscadet wrote:I feel awful passing hitched by in the bus, even though it's very rare it's not full.. I got room for a few in the boot :lol: not allowed to tho :?

Jobsworth! Boo!
A few years ago I picked up two miserable-looking guys in Glen Coe, huddled together near the junction with the road to Kinlochleven. There had been a terrible rainstorm the night before, and they had been camped in it, out in the open by Loch Leven, right in the teeth of the storm. All their stuff was soaked and they wanted to go to Glasgow to get into a hostel for a hot shower and dry beds. They were from the city of Gouda in the Netherlands and were amazed by the high hillsides streaming with white waterfalls. I drove them through Glen Coe, stopping for photos (their phone cameras were out of power so I took photos of them), down Glen Etive where they wondered at the waterfalls (there are lots after a rainstorm like that) and they saw mountains and deer and lovely scenery. Back to the Kingshouse where I got them hot chocolate with whisky in it, then on down to the old Drovers' Inn where we stopped for a look around and I got them some Scotch Broth and they listened to some musicians playing some traditional music. The Dutch guys announced that they too were musicians and liked this very much. After delivering them to a hostel in Glasgow we arranged to meet up next evening for beers. We went to the Arlington in Woodlands (a popular venue for cocktails of an evening) and a band was playing. The Dutch guys spoke to the band when they had a break, and got up to play - turns out they were brilliant and are rock stars back in the Netherlands! I have vague memories of introducing them to the band by hanging drunkenly between them with my arms over their shoulders, announcing loudly, "They're from Cheese City in the Nether Regions!" and a fun time was had by all. I still keep in touch with them on Facebucket. They even sent me some Stroopwaaffels. From Cheese City in the Nether Regions.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Robinho08 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:04 am

I pick up hitch-hikers whenever I can, and I have hitched a lift on occasion too. Something I think is important to keep alive. Too many people think it's unsafe due to probably watching too much Holywood. :roll:
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby basscadet » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:01 pm

Just had to pass 3 folk by outside fort Bill.. his job sometimes kills me inside.. :? they were all holding up signs for inverness and im just up to fort augustus anyway..
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:30 pm

basscadet wrote:Just had to pass 3 folk by outside fort Bill.. his job sometimes kills me inside.. :? they were all holding up signs for inverness and im just up to fort augustus anyway..

Just think, they are all plotting your murder right now... :lol:
I'm sure it will add to the character-building experience of their highland trip...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby rohan » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:19 pm

Recently, I had to rely on my thumb on the road from Spean Bridge to Newtonmore (there should be a bus!). On 3 separate occasions I hitched. First was Sunday morning and I had to walk almost a mile before a great Dutch bloke picked me up and whilst I was only looking to get as far as Dalwhinnie and piublic transport there, he took me all the way to Perth. His first time in Scotland and he loved the place so will be back.
2nd time was when I ended up ( deliberately) 4 miles west of my car which was parked at the east end of Loch Laggan. A Liverpuddlian whose path I had crossed on the hills ended up back at the car park at Creag Meagaidh at the same time as me and I persuaded him to give me a lift. He didn't need much persauding. I then inadvertently gave him duff information about where the nearest hostelry was ( it had closed )
3rd and Final time was from Spean Bridge to Creag Meagaidh. There was another hitch hiker who was going to Newtonmore and we ended up getting lifts together and here I have to say even if you are only going a short distance that can help. Our first was to Roy Bridge with a local our second was to Creag Meagaidh with a Canadian couple who were going off to Edinburgh via Dalwhinnie. Reunited with my van I was then able to turn from hitchhiker to lift giver and give the young (french) woman a lift to Newtonmore.
These lifts were all connected with my walking The Watershed. The next few stages are accessible ( sort of) by public transport but further north I may have to get out my thumb again, so if you are passing, please consider giving me a lift. I may have a faint whiff of Scottish bog about me but I do try and clean up a bit before i hit civilisation again. And yes, a big thank-you to all who stop and give lifts.
rohan

Postby Border Reiver » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:23 pm

The worst lift I ever gave was to a youngish Welsh lad who was hitching on the A68 near Jedburgh. He had a rucksack and looked like a fellow walker. I told him that I was heading for Aviemore and that seemed to suit him. It turns out he was a train enthusiast and I ended up listening to him talking about the finer points of locos for around 5 hours. It really did my head in. He eventually confessed that he tries to dress like a hillwalker as that gives him the best chance of getting a lift.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion