walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Wild camping in Cairngorms

Wild camping in Cairngorms

Postby Familycamp » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:55 am

Hi everyone,
I'm planning a one week trip in Cairngorms with my husband and daughter (hikes have to be easy as my little one is 17months and I will have to carry her on top of my bag), we are really excited about it. We have a car and are not restricted to one area.
Could anyone suggest some beautiful places to go wild camping?
Thank you
Familycamp
Scrambler

Re: Wild camping in Cairngorms

Postby Border Reiver » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:38 pm

Glen Feshie is beautiful, with plenty of places to pitch a tent, but if it's soon you might have difficulty finding drinkable water after the dry weather.
This year especially (and indeed most years), no open fires of any kind, not even if on bare soil or surrounded by stones. Everything is very dry and a stray spark could ignite a fire that could spread for miles. The ground below any fire is likely to be peaty and this can burn underground for days. Some might say it's no big deal, but it really is.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby CyberianK » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:28 pm

Border Reiver wrote:Glen Feshie is beautiful, with plenty of places to pitch a tent, but if it's soon you might have difficulty finding drinkable water after the dry weather.

Wow didn't think its so bad. I am going first two weeks of August and I thought I can get water anywhere with water filter. As for fires I don't plan to make any. Hope we get some rain and such so I don't have to carry that much water.
CyberianK
Scrambler

Postby davekeiller » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:58 pm

Which side of the Cairngorms?
Corrour Bothy in the Lairig Ghru is an option which can be reached either from the Aviemore side or the Braemar side. It's next to the River Dee so there should be plenty of water, although I'd want to sterilise it (boil/filter/chlorine/iodine) before drinking because the area is *very* popular, especially at weekends.
Derry Lodge is also a good spot if going from the Braemar side. Again it's by a river so there *should* be enough drinking water, but it's a popular area so take precautions re purifiying it.
Definitely do not light fires in either of these areas.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion