walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Cape wrath Info needed. Falls of Glomach alternative?

Cape wrath Info needed. Falls of Glomach alternative?


Postby crfishwick » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:07 pm

Hi,
Has anyone any experience of instead of going down the side of the falls of Glomach to cut across East to the stalkers path that goes to Carnach via Coire Easach?

I don't fancy dropping down through Glomach with a heavy sack! Would it be easier terrian on my proposed route?

TIA
User avatar
crfishwick
Backpacker
 
Posts: 364
Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:2   Donalds:9
Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   
Joined: Jun 15, 2013
Location: Earby Lancashire (Formally West Yorkshire prior 1972)

Re: Cape wrath Info needed. Falls of Glomach alternative?

Postby jmarkb » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:13 pm

On the map, the Coire Easach route looks just as steep.
jmarkb
Mountaineer
 
Posts: 3576
Munros:241   Corbetts:86
Grahams:76   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   
Joined: Oct 28, 2011
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Cape wrath Info needed. Falls of Glomach alternative?

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:17 pm

Went down that way at dusk in winter (was just below snowline) and remember it being pretty steep and unpleasant, though we had been out for 10 hours by then (biked to Carnach then S n C, in soft snow firming up on the ridge to the best winter conditions I've ever had).
User avatar
Mal Grey
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 2812
Munros:110   Corbetts:20
Grahams:8   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:113
Wainwrights:71   Islands:5
Joined: Dec 1, 2011
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Re: Cape wrath Info needed. Falls of Glomach alternative?

Postby Guinessman » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:19 pm

Yes I've been that way on my CWT coming up the glen from Altbeithe. I had planned it this way as I had been via the Falls of Glomach back in 2011 coming up over from Glen Elchaig and with a big pack didn't like the exposure one bit and haven't been back since. The route down through the Coire Easach is steep but I didn't feel the exposure I had previously felt.
User avatar
Guinessman
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 1051
Munros:282   Corbetts:41
Grahams:26   Donalds:89
Hewitts:143
Wainwrights:214   Islands:13
Joined: Dec 28, 2009
Location: NW Durham

Re: Cape wrath Info needed. Falls of Glomach alternative?

Postby crfishwick » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:39 pm

Guinessman wrote:Yes I've been that way on my CWT coming up the glen from Altbeithe. I had planned it this way as I had been via the Falls of Glomach back in 2011 coming up over from Glen Elchaig and with a big pack didn't like the exposure one bit and haven't been back since. The route down through the Coire Easach is steep but I didn't feel the exposure I had previously felt.


Thanks for the info.

I have had another look as I am actually setting off from Sheil Bridge as that's where I got washed out 2 years ago. :( Although looking at the map again any easier way to miss Glomach is to take another stalkers path to Glen Elchaig. Going due North from the forestery plantation in Strath Croe. Plus, it seem shorter than the Glomach route. Although crossing the river Elchaig could be a problem. :crazy:
User avatar
crfishwick
Backpacker
 
Posts: 364
Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:2   Donalds:9
Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   
Joined: Jun 15, 2013
Location: Earby Lancashire (Formally West Yorkshire prior 1972)

Re: Cape wrath Info needed. Falls of Glomach alternative?

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:53 am

The CWT is a big route and also there are many variants to it.
One thing though, the falls of glomach are the premier falls in the whole of Britain and Ireland and it would be a shame to miss them.
Having said that the path down into Glen Elchaig is exposed in parts and requires great care. :shock:
All the best. :D
User avatar
Sunset tripper
 
Posts: 1571
Joined: Nov 3, 2013
Location: Inverness

Re: Cape wrath Info needed. Falls of Glomach alternative?

Postby crfishwick » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:39 am

Thanks.
Although I have been to the falls before. Just getting worried going solo at my age! I'll see what I feel like when i get there. I have the other 2 alternatives I think. Got worried when I saw a YouTube video and the maker got the screaming jeebies and said it was impossible Although I think he missed the path and was at the view point.
User avatar
crfishwick
Backpacker
 
Posts: 364
Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:2   Donalds:9
Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   
Joined: Jun 15, 2013
Location: Earby Lancashire (Formally West Yorkshire prior 1972)

Re: Cape wrath Info needed. Falls of Glomach alternative?

Postby willsdad » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:28 pm

crfishwick wrote:Got worried when I saw a YouTube video and the maker got the screaming jeebies and said it was impossible Although I think he missed the path and was at the view point.


I saw that video recently. He really tells it as it is! :clap:
More people should watch his account before attempting the CWT. It may make them think again...
I'm pretty sure he also takes the wrong path dropping down to Sourlies. It sounds like he ends up clambering through the gorge.

I agree with you crfishwick. I followed the path down from the falls but was wishing I hadn't. An alternative route would definitely be on the cards for me in the future. Let me know if you find a better route.
User avatar
willsdad
Backpacker
 
Posts: 148
Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:6
Joined: Aug 14, 2015
Location: Co.Durham

Re: Cape wrath Info needed. Falls of Glomach alternative?

Postby Old Stag » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:05 pm

Both times I did the CWT I avoided Glomach as I try to avoid falling to my death whenever possible.
I just had a half day from Shiel Bridge to Dornie, trying to stay off the main road as much as possible and staying at the small campsite just over the bridge from Dornie.
It's a bit of a long day the next day to Strathcarron and it's a shame to miss out on the falls and Maol Buidhe bothy but t's a lot safer.
User avatar
Old Stag
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Mar 15, 2014

Re: Cape wrath Info needed. Falls of Glomach alternative?

Postby Guinessman » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:10 pm

Making plans for a big walk next April , incorporating the CWT. If I go Altbeithe again I am looking at going East from there and go over the Bealach coire Ghaidheil to Loch Mullardoch then up through Coire na Breabaig down to Loch Mhoicean and around to Maol Bhuidhe bothy
User avatar
Guinessman
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 1051
Munros:282   Corbetts:41
Grahams:26   Donalds:89
Hewitts:143
Wainwrights:214   Islands:13
Joined: Dec 28, 2009
Location: NW Durham

Re: Cape wrath Info needed. Falls of Glomach alternative?

Postby Ben Nachie » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:27 am

willsdad wrote:
crfishwick wrote:Got worried when I saw a YouTube video and the maker got the screaming jeebies and said it was impossible Although I think he missed the path and was at the view point.


I saw that video recently. He really tells it as it is! :clap:
More people should watch his account before attempting the CWT. It may make them think again...
I'm pretty sure he also takes the wrong path dropping down to Sourlies. It sounds like he ends up clambering through the gorge.

I agree with you crfishwick. I followed the path down from the falls but was wishing I hadn't. An alternative route would definitely be on the cards for me in the future. Let me know if you find a better route.

Any link to that video? I like scaring myself :lol:
User avatar
Ben Nachie
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 354
Joined: Jun 19, 2017

Re: Cape wrath Info needed. Falls of Glomach alternative?

Postby willsdad » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:55 am



Try this....if not, its YouTube, 'The Bushcraft Bothier - Cape Wrath Trail'.
He has a hard time, but I think he sums it up pretty well. CWT is for people with experience and navigational knowledge. Even then, you may still get beaten by the weather...
User avatar
willsdad
Backpacker
 
Posts: 148
Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:6
Joined: Aug 14, 2015
Location: Co.Durham

Re: Cape wrath Info needed. Falls of Glomach alternative?

Postby Ben Nachie » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:59 pm

Many thanks! I'll check it out :D
User avatar
Ben Nachie
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 354
Joined: Jun 19, 2017

Re: Cape wrath Info needed. Falls of Glomach alternative?

Postby crfishwick » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:04 pm

Old Stag wrote:Both times I did the CWT I avoided Glomach as I try to avoid falling to my death whenever possible.
I just had a half day from Shiel Bridge to Dornie, trying to stay off the main road as much as possible and staying at the small campsite just over the bridge from Dornie.
It's a bit of a long day the next day to Strathcarron and it's a shame to miss out on the falls and Maol Buidhe bothy but t's a lot safer.


I am thinking of doing the way you went. Instead of starting at Sheil Bridge. Get off the bus at Dornie and chomp down the road to Killilan. Although carry on to Iron Bridge then Maol Bhuidhe. About 18 miles so at my pace a 2 dayer. :roll:
User avatar
crfishwick
Backpacker
 
Posts: 364
Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:2   Donalds:9
Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   
Joined: Jun 15, 2013
Location: Earby Lancashire (Formally West Yorkshire prior 1972)

Re: Cape wrath Info needed. Falls of Glomach alternative?

Postby Ben Nachie » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:19 am

Ben Nachie wrote:Many thanks! I'll check it out :D

A-ha, a bushcrafter tries hillwalking. Always raises a smile :wink:

Thanks for the link, I enjoyed it.
User avatar
Ben Nachie
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 354
Joined: Jun 19, 2017

Next



Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?



Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests