walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Cape wrath Info needed. Falls of Glomach alternative?

Re: Cape wrath Info needed. Falls of Glomach alternative?

Postby crfishwick » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:42 pm

Ben Nachie wrote:
Ben Nachie wrote:Many thanks! I'll check it out :D

A-ha, a bushcrafter tries hillwalking. Always raises a smile :wink:

Thanks for the link, I enjoyed it.

Naughty. :wink: Bushcrafter! Decided to drop down the falls (Not literally). Should have no problem with care. That Video did give me the habdabs although I have climbed in more serious places in my time.
crfishwick

Postby crfishwick » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:04 pm

willsdad wrote:
crfishwick wrote:Got worried when I saw a YouTube video and the maker got the screaming jeebies and said it was impossible Although I think he missed the path and was at the view point.

I saw that video recently. He really tells it as it is! :clap:
I'm pretty sure he also takes the wrong path dropping down to Sourlies. It sounds like he ends up clambering through the gorge.

Ha! Missed that! Wrong path down to Sourlies! How? :wink: Or was it dropping down to Glen Dessary? I will have to have another look at the Vid although it gives me not much confidence. :lol: :lol:
crfishwick

Postby Ben Nachie » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:50 pm

crfishwick wrote:
Ben Nachie wrote:
Ben Nachie wrote:Many thanks! I'll check it out :D

A-ha, a bushcrafter tries hillwalking. Always raises a smile :wink:

Thanks for the link, I enjoyed it.

Naughty. :wink: Bushcrafter! Decided to drop down the falls (Not literally). Should have no problem with care. That Video did give me the habdabs although I have climbed in more serious places in my time.

In all fairness if I ever tried bushcraft I'm sure it would raise a few smiles amongst that fraternity too :lol:
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby auldal » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:54 am

Rather than dropping down Coire Easach it looks like you could continue along for about another KM going up slightly before descending the path down Alt Tarsuinn, this looks a lot less steep and an obvious dog leg around the steep part
auldal
Rock-climber

Munros:255   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1

Postby crfishwick » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:28 pm

crfishwick wrote:Hi,
Has anyone any experience of instead of going down the side of the falls of Glomach to cut across East to the stalkers path that goes to Carnach via Coire Easach?

I don't fancy dropping down through Glomach with a heavy sack! Would it be easier terrian on my proposed route?

TIA

Tried the Cape Wrath trail again but pulled out at Ullapool. :( I found the falls of Glammach not too bad. The path is easy to find and follow although care is needed. The worst aspects are actually nearer the bottom where there are a couple of rock steps to negotiate and can be iffy if scrambling isn't your forte. I shall return and finish the CWT hopefully.
crfishwick

Postby al78 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:03 am

willsdad wrote:Try this....if not, its YouTube, 'The Bushcraft Bothier - Cape Wrath Trail'.
He has a hard time, but I think he sums it up pretty well. CWT is for people with experience and navigational knowledge. Even then, you may still get beaten by the weather...

I've had a look at the section where he gets to the falls, then decides not to risk the descent, instead doing a detour. Fortunately there is an alternative route that does avoid the falls. It looked on his video that with the falls on his right, there was a tenuous path on his left, but it looked like one slip and you're screwed. It is a shame because I understood there was a path down to the bottom of that glen, and one day I hope to go that way to see the falls, but if the path down the glen is dangerous I will have to plan for going the longer way round.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9

Postby crfishwick » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:37 pm

al78 wrote:
willsdad wrote:Try this....if not, its YouTube, 'The Bushcraft Bothier - Cape Wrath Trail'.
He has a hard time, but I think he sums it up pretty well. CWT is for people with experience and navigational knowledge. Even then, you may still get beaten by the weather...

I've had a look at the section where he gets to the falls, then decides not to risk the descent, instead doing a detour. Fortunately there is an alternative route that does avoid the falls. It looked on his video that with the falls on his right, there was a tenuous path on his left, but it looked like one slip and you're screwed. It is a shame because I understood there was a path down to the bottom of that glen, and one day I hope to go that way to see the falls, but if the path down the glen is dangerous I will have to plan for going the longer way round.

If you have the experience the path is relatively easy although narrow and a large drop on your right!!!" I found the hardest bit near the bottom where a few metres rock scrambling was needed.

Although in wet or windy conditions could be a nightmare. Everybody should do a risk assessment of their own before venturing forth.

The video mentioned is a bit confusing as he seems to be at the viewpoint. Not where the actual path starts and can be easily seen from the warning sign. Also the GPX file that can be downloaded from Walkhighlands does take you to the viewpoint then loops back to the stalkers path. I removed the extra waypoints that lead to the viewpoint. Although I had good visability and didn't use the GPS.
crfishwick

Postby al78 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:35 pm

crfishwick wrote:
al78 wrote:

If you have the experience the path is relatively easy although narrow and a large drop on your right!!!" I found the hardest bit near the bottom where a few metres rock scrambling was needed.

Although in wet or windy conditions could be a nightmare. Everybody should do a risk assessment of their own before venturing forth.

The video mentioned is a bit confusing as he seems to be at the viewpoint. Not where the actual path starts and can be easily seen from the warning sign. Also the GPX file that can be downloaded from Walkhighlands does take you to the viewpoint then loops back to the stalkers path. I removed the extra waypoints that lead to the viewpoint. Although I had good visability and didn't use the GPS.

When you say "experience", do you mean experience of high exposure and a head for heights, rather than experience as in technical difficulty?

If it is about exposure, how does it compare to Crib Goch, which I found very airy? I did more shuffling along than walking on that ridge. Perhaps I should use it as training; if I can get over Crib Goch by walking on the very top of the ridge hands free, then I can try some of these more exposed routes elsewhere.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9

Postby crfishwick » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:37 pm

[When you say "experience", do you mean experience of high exposure and a head for heights, rather than experience as in technical difficulty?

If it is about exposure, how does it compare to Crib Goch, which I found very airy? I did more shuffling along than walking on that ridge. Perhaps I should use it as training; if I can get over Crib Goch by walking on the very top of the ridge hands free, then I can try some of these more exposed routes elsewhere.
[

Experience of exposure and a head for heights . The path is narrow about half a metre only 2 bits of scrambling of a few metres near the bottom. Easier than Crib Goch as that is nearly a full scramble or walk around some parts IRC
crfishwick

Postby asmilne » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:11 pm

I did this in June 2019 and went East towards a 'stalker's path' which is shown on the OS map after crossing the Abhainn Gaorsaic, the stream from the lochs in the corries above. For me, the water level in the burn was only just above my knees. I didn't want to use the normal route, because, apart from a dislike of exposure, I'm doing the Scottish National Trail with a bike. From here, the bike is a bit of an embarrassment, as it slows me down, and doesn't speed me up, but I've done it this far, so..... I can't post an image or the link to my blog page of the route yet, but the other way down would not trouble a normal person, only one short exposed section where I had to carry the bike and backpack separately due to the steep scree slope.
Just the 6 stages above Ullapool to do for me.
asmilne
Hill Bagger

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion