walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Snow gate Braemar Friday 13th

Snow gate Braemar Friday 13th

Postby fem92 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:54 am

Hi folks. Does anyone know why the snow gate at Braemar was closed Friday evening?
fem92
Hill Bagger

Munros:67   

Re: Snow gate Braemar Friday 13th

Postby Jokester » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:54 pm

There was a motorcycle fatality on the Glen Shee road. 2nd one in as many weeks.

Road was treacherous when I went that way a few weeks back, they've done a "surface dressing" on it.

Edit:-
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-44825515
Jokester
Mountain Walker

Munros:77   

Postby Gareth Harper » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:02 pm

The road is a mess. I drove over it a few weeks ago, the surface is already rippling in the heat.
The 'surface dressing' is a serious hazard for cars and I can tell you an absolute nightmare for motorcyclists. Hellish for cyclists too.
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:82
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Jokester » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:14 pm

Gareth Harper wrote:The road is a mess. I drove over it a few weeks ago, the surface is already rippling in the heat.
The 'surface dressing' is a serious hazard for cars and I can tell you an absolute nightmare for motorcyclists. Hellish for cyclists too.

To be honest, I'm shocked they're even allowed to do that on a NSL main road, it's bad enough when they do it on town/side roads. When I went that way, the amount of loose grit was insane, never seen anything like it.
Jokester
Mountain Walker

Munros:77   

Postby fem92 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:12 pm

Oh dear, I wondered if it might be something like that. Thanks for the info guys. Was planning on camping out that way but went to Glen Ey instead. Drive safe everybody.
fem92
Hill Bagger

Munros:67   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion