walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Where are the midges?!

Where are the midges?!

Postby ScottishHillAddict » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:11 pm

Don’t normally come to the highlands at this time of year, but where are the midges?
Am currently in Glen Nevis and it’s cloudyish with little wind. Even in the forest area above NFace car park there were very few midges.
A month ago around here, it was fairly terrible all the time.
Heading up N of Ullapool next and can only hope midgeless conditions continue!!

BTW, I know lots of people say the formula for Avon’s Skin So Soft changed, and it’s no longer a good midget deterrent (even shop owners in Skye hVe told me this last year), but I looked into in and I think it’s **llocks. Fake news, most likely generated by someone siding with MidgeIt or whatever it’s called that has completely taken over the midge repellent market and is based upon very dodgy science And scaremongering ‘Midge Forecasts’ that are 90% sales gimmicks and profitteeering.

Just so happy to be mostly midgeless at present!!
ScottishHillAddict

Re: Where are the midges?!

Postby CyberianK » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:03 am

There is this midge forecast at the smidge website anyone knows how accurate that is? (can't post URL)

Going my first time to Scotland in 10 days. Does the sunny, dry period currently have a positive effect or not?
Have lots of deet and permethrine and a net with me but I will probably also try out the smidge and avon stuff if thats more pleasant on the skin.

But great you aren't really having many Midges thats the only worry I have for my upcoming trip.
CyberianK
Scrambler

Postby KatTai » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:49 am

Midges lay their eggs in water. There isn't much water on the hills at the moment so they have very few places to lay their eggs so there are less midges to emerge. They also don't do well in low humidity so the dry summer is doubly bad news for the little bitey ones :lol:
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:34 pm

I was on Skye recently, and the midgies were remarkable for their absence. The cleggs unfortunately were remarkable for their presence in large numbers. The dry conditions mean poor breeding conditions for midgies but good times for cleggs. Swings and roundabouts, innit? Also a nice breeze keeps the flying beasties away.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby mrssanta » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:28 pm

I think I prefer the midges to clegs. At least smidge works on midges.
By the way Skinsosoft has never worked for me and it makes my skin sore. Smidge is a godsend in my view. Deet works but it stinks and dissolves plastic. You pays your money you takes your choice.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby abbruce » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:36 pm

We spent a week around Ft William area last week which included 4 munro days & a 20 mile cycle day along the GGW.

Used to use Skin So Soft but it's never worked, so on recommendation, we used Sainsburys extra strength insect repellent (which is 50% deet).

Between my wife & myself, we only suffered 4 clegg bites & 5 midge bites.

Know what I'll be using from now. :D
abbruce
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:23
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:68   

Postby nigheandonn » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:42 pm

There are no midges on North Uist, according to the fisherman/crofter who gave me a lift yesterday! Having walked a couple of miles to a ceilidh and back on Monday evening and sat out on the beach last night, my experience does agree with this.

I was bitten a couple of times in Portree, putting up a tent on a drizzly evening, but nothing like what I would usually expect.
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby CharlesT » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:56 pm

abbruce wrote:We spent a week around Ft William area last week which included 4 munro days & a 20 mile cycle day along the GGW.

Used to use Skin So Soft but it's never worked, so on recommendation, we used Sainsburys extra strength insect repellent (which is 50% deet).

Between my wife & myself, we only suffered 4 clegg bites & 5 midge bites.

Know what I'll be using from now. :D

You're right about Sainsbury's max strength repellent, it does work. Just don't spray it on in an enclosed space, you'll be fighting for breath for minutes afterwards, as I found to my cost. You don't want it near your face either, use something else like a roll-on. Top tip - spray your hat and boots too.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby crfishwick » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:33 pm

ScottishHillAddict wrote:Don’t normally come to the highlands at this time of year, but where are the midges?

Just so happy to be mostly midgeless at present!!

Probably come out on the 27/07/2018 when I arrive at S Bridge. :roll: Then they will be horrendous! Similar to you I give Scotland a wide berth between late May to September usually but needs must on my latest adventure. :crazy:
crfishwick

Postby thatweebirdie » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:44 pm

mrssanta wrote:I think I prefer the midges to clegs. At least smidge works on midges.
By the way Skinsosoft has never worked for me and it makes my skin sore. Smidge is a godsend in my view. Deet works but it stinks and dissolves plastic. You pays your money you takes your choice.

Smidge here, too. I was rather concerned by what Jungle Formula did to my sunglasses, the carrier bag it was wrapped in, the children....... :lol: :lol:
thatweebirdie
Hill Bagger

Munros:1   
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:7   

Postby crfishwick » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:01 pm

thatweebirdie wrote:
mrssanta wrote:I think I prefer the midges to clegs. At least smidge works on midges.

Smidge here, too. I was rather concerned by what Jungle Formula did to my sunglasses, the carrier bag it was wrapped in, the children....... :lol: :lol:

So Smidge is the in thing to deter midges? Will give it a try although I have found out nothing deters 'em :lol: A full body suite might :lol:
crfishwick

Postby Old Stag » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:51 pm

Smidge and a head net. Occasionally I've had to stick on my gloves too.
Looks like there might not be a third hatch this year which would be great for anyone hiking in September,
Old Stag

Postby crfishwick » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:11 am

Old Stag wrote:Smidge and a head net. Occasionally I've had to stick on my gloves too.
Looks like there might not be a third hatch this year which would be great for anyone hiking in September,

Oh thanks. :lol: Just my luck. :lol:
crfishwick

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:16 am

"Where are the midges?!"

~ Ask not for whom the bell tolls... :shock:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion