walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

The Vosges, France. Walk recommendations?

The Vosges, France. Walk recommendations?

Postby Jon and Jen » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:27 pm

Heading over to France at short notice to The Vosges region. Can anyone recommend some walks around this area? We will be camping at a municipal campsite but will possibly tour around a few. Have the car with us so can potter about locally. Thanks.
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Re: The Vosges, France. Walk recommendations?

Postby Skyelines » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:29 pm

I can't offer walking advice as I only visited the Vosge region on a university forestry field trip many years ago.

As I recall it is heavily forested (unsurprisingly :) for a field trip) and the forests go to the tops of the hills. We stayed in La Bresse which is a popular cross country ski centre so there were lots of tracks in the forests.
Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby rogasb » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:39 am

We have been to Barr three times now. There are multiple walks which pass through the centre of the town and are well marked (including the Pilgrims' Way).
There is a map close to the large patisserie in the middle of town showing the routes maintained by the local walkers group.
I can particularly recommend the walk to Mont Sainte-Odile, and if you are fed up with trees there are innumerable tracks through the vineyards which invariable (in our case) lead to a patisserie in a small village.
rogasb
Ambler

Munros:1   
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby StevenF » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:55 pm

I have been to the vosges twice now, I would recommend walking to the Hohneck (starting from Mittlach) , a walk to the ballon d'alsace (starting from Sewen) is also very nice.
I always sleep in a ferme-auberge and walk from one to the other.
StevenF
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:77   

Postby jacob » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:02 pm

I don't know if you have seen these (link in link) already:

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=70388
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion