walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Parking charges at Succoth, Arrochar.

Re: Parking charges at Succoth, Arrochar.

Postby crfishwick » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:45 am

Bourach wrote:Please folks sign the petition ( I’m not allowed to post link but you can google it) and share widely.

This is a de facto tax on our hard won access rights and just the thin end of the wedge.

Googled it. No joy. :roll: Give us a clue? Plus if it is a Scottish Governmental petition not an hope in Hell of success. :wink:
crfishwick

Postby Bourach » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:26 am

Try Change dot org. Petition Argyll & Bute Council against raising parking fees at Arrochar car parks by 800%.
Bourach

Munros:93   Corbetts:4
Islands:43

Postby crfishwick » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:41 am

Bourach wrote:Try Change dot org. Petition Argyll & Bute Council against raising parking fees at Arrochar car parks by 800%.

Cheers. That took some finding. :lol: Nearly 1200 signatures so far. Although as I said a governmental initiative. So not a cat in hells chance of success or am I too cynical in my old age. :lol: Signed nevertheless.. :clap:
crfishwick

Postby Bourach » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:46 pm

It’s a local government initiative and the word on the street is they are already seriously rattled by the adverse publicity they are currently receiving so there is every chance this will succeed.
So please, if you haven’t already done so, add your name to the petition and share with your friends.
Bourach

Postby crfishwick » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:09 am

crfishwick

Postby Glengavel » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:31 am

crfishwick wrote:Plans have been submitted for a new car park in Glenfinnan for tourists who visit to see a location from the Harry Potter films. :lol: :lol: :lol:

What will be the price per day? £20 to watch a train. Now that would beggar belief. :roll:

While on that topic, this web article sounds as if it's been translated from English to another language and then back again:

https://uk.presscute.com/plans-for-car-park-at-glenfinnan-viaduct-harry-potter-hotspot-news/
Glengavel
Walker

Munros:29   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:29   Islands:19

Postby CharlesT » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:36 am

Glengavel wrote:While on that topic, this web article sounds as if it's been translated from English to another language and then back again:

https://uk.presscute.com/plans-for-car-park-at-glenfinnan-viaduct-harry-potter-hotspot-news/

Bog standard double dutch I believe. :lol:

And £9 a day is excessive. Hope the council does think again.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Giant Stoneater » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:23 pm

It's not just Arrochar that's being hit with increased charges,the charges are all over Argyll and Bute.
Car park at Luss has lost it's daily charge to a pound a hour now and similar at a Oban car park.

A petition against all increases to all car parks in Argyll and Bute would be a better idea rather than a petition for the one in Arrochar.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Bourach » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:20 pm

You may be missing the point that this is specifically a hill access car park which the others are not so it is a de facto tax on access.

I’m an Argyll taxpayer so I’m more than aware of the other issue you raise. Feel free to start your own petition but please don’t detract from the focus of this one. Thanks
Bourach

Postby mrssanta » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:27 pm

crfishwick wrote:Plans have been submitted for a new car park in Glenfinnan for tourists who visit to see a location from the Harry Potter films. :lol: :lol: :lol:

What will be the price per day? £20 to watch a train. Now that would beggar belief. :roll:

My mum and I visited Glenfinnan in July. When she was very little she used to catch the steamer the Clanranald there to visit her grandparents in Acharacle during the war. We wanted to go for a mosey round and see where the pier used to be and indulge in a little nostalgia. We arrived about 10.40 and it was complete mayhem! It was quite funny really, there were people from all over the world come to see the train go past. The estate manager was directing traffic into a field and the locals were out in force surveying the visitors. Actually it was really interesting. We talked to lots of people and discovered that the gentleman looking after the monument might be a distant relative on my Dad's side.
Anyway I am sure they need that car park, but I sure hope they don't charge extortionate amounts to use it.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Soldier of fortune » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:47 pm

Money making scams, councils moving more and more towards privatising everything they do. Highland Councils expected 'take ' in parking fees and parking charge notices, note they are not fines despite what A&BC website says, is in excess of £800,000 for 2018.
But then with councillors earning in excess of £20 grand a year plus expenses and pension costs they,ve got to get the cash from somewhere.
Do they really represent you anymore?
Soldier of fortune
Stravaiging

Munros:43   Corbetts:6

Postby Jobax » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:26 pm

I hear the proceeds are going towards using all those rocks in bags up beinn narnain to build the biggest stones stack in Scotland.
Jobax

Munros:23   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby Arthurs Eat » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:07 pm

Done, robbing .........s
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:14   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Postby Top Fun » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:45 pm

Recently walked the White Mounth Munro circuit and parked in the Glen Muick car park. Parking cost £4 for the day which I think is very reasonable. The car park is good plus the bonus of good toilets. Argyll & Bute council could take a leaf out of this council’s book.
Top Fun
Mountain Walker

Munros:207   Corbetts:21
Fionas:3   Donalds:15
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:11

Postby RocksRock » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:51 am

The facilities at Glen Muick are provided by the Balmoral Estate, not the council........
RocksRock

Munros:4   Corbetts:7
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:26   Islands:8

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion