walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Parking charges at Succoth, Arrochar.

Re: Parking charges at Succoth, Arrochar.

Postby Moriarty » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:07 pm

RocksRock wrote:The facilities at Glen Muick are provided by the Balmoral Estate, not the council........

But leased and run by the Outdoor Access Trust - the proceeds going to repairing the erosion caused by us.

https://www.outdooraccesstrustforscotland.org.uk/car-parking/
Moriarty

Postby Top Fun » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:31 pm

Fair enough ... maybe not run by the council but the point is I thought £4 was a reasonable amount to pay for all day parking and decent facilities.....
Top Fun
Mountain Walker

Munros:207   Corbetts:21
Fionas:3   Donalds:15
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:11

Postby Glengavel » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:45 am

As a (slightly OT) follow-up to this story - I was visiting my parents at the weekend and my mum was telling me about a friend of hers whose daughter lives in Arrochar. Seems there's been a sudden rash of yellow line painting in the village. Anyway, friend's daughter was moving house and while the furniture van was parked in her drive she had moved her car on to the street. Along comes Mr J.O.B. Sworth of Her Majesty's Royal Parking Yeomanry who tells her "you can't park here", insisting even in the face of it being pointed out to him the big feck-off van occupying her driveway.
Glengavel
Walker

Munros:29   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:29   Islands:19

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:30 am

I take it the £9 charge is now in place. As expected with these things any protests or petitions were ignored.
Mountaineering Scotland made an unfortunate and ill advised statement (however well intentioned) saying it's members were willing to pay £4 for parking but it was obviously ignored and made no difference.
The main problem with making that sort of statement is it has maybe highlighted the fact that all the very popular free car parks in places like Glencoe and the North Face, at Torlundy can now charge £4 minimum with the endorsement of a respected organisation.
I'm pretty sure the people who live in these areas (having spoke to many of them) don't support these charges and will be widely ignored also.
I guess in the highlands we will become normalised to this type of profiteering the same as elsewhere. :(
Sunset tripper

Postby Senja » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:06 pm

So I take it, stopping off for a break in Arrochar is now even more difficult. Great news for the traders there.
Senja

Munros:132   Corbetts:27
Fionas:189   Donalds:58
Sub 2000:479   Hewitts:298
Wainwrights:97   Islands:64

Postby Spade » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:49 pm

Couldn't have put it any better!! Well said :clap:

take it the £9 charge is now in place. As expected with these things any protests or petitions were ignored.
Mountaineering Scotland made an unfortunate and ill advised statement (however well intentioned) saying it's members were willing to pay £4 for parking but it was obviously ignored and made no difference.
The main problem with making that sort of statement is it has maybe highlighted the fact that all the very popular free car parks in places like Glencoe and the North Face, at Torlundy can now charge £4 minimum with the endorsement of a respected organisation.
I'm pretty sure the people who live in these areas (having spoke to many of them) don't support these charges and will be widely ignored also.
I guess in the highlands we will become normalised to this type of profiteering the same as elsewhere.
Spade

Munros:80   Corbetts:5

Postby chigton » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:59 pm

How is the parking situation working out since the price rise, I have not been there since they did it? Have people been parking on the road or on verges to avoid the car parks or are they actively been used? Have there been an increased number of ascents from the Rest and Be Thankful side?
chigton

Postby Giant Stoneater » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:01 pm

According to a report somewhere the car park was rather busy at the weekend,maybe people have realised it's £1 a hour and £9 for the day and not the misquoted £9 just to park.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:05 pm

Giant Stoneater wrote:According to a report somewhere the car park was rather busy at the weekend,maybe people have realised it's £1 a hour and £9 for the day and not the misquoted £9 just to park.

How much does it cost to park if you are going to climb the cobbler? :?
Sunset tripper

Postby Giant Stoneater » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:54 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:
Giant Stoneater wrote:According to a report somewhere the car park was rather busy at the weekend,maybe people have realised it's £1 a hour and £9 for the day and not the misquoted £9 just to park.

How much does it cost to park if you are going to climb the cobbler? :?

Depends how quick you walk.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:18 pm

I see. I take it you have to know how long it's going to take you before you start. :D

Sounds like a great deal. :lol:
Sunset tripper

Postby GeoMogReacher » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:36 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:I see. I take it you have to know how long it's going to take you before you start. :D

Sounds like a great deal. :lol:

They’ve invented the Hindsight 3000 which lets you peer into the future and find out how long it’ll take you. I’ve only used it once but all good so far.
GeoMogReacher
Mountain Walker

Munros:69   Corbetts:5
Fionas:9   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Postby Soldier of fortune » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:46 pm

Parking has become an lucrative way of indirect taxing us.
Two years ago it was announced by Highland Council that they were deploying10 extra parking enforcement officers between Inverness and Fort William, their training and set up costs were £500,000, training provided by Edinburgh's parking enforcement providers NSL formerly National Car Parks.
In the first year the 10 Highland enforcers income amounted to £680,000. Highland Council's estimates for 2018 for Lochaberis £1 million + and for Inverness is £2 million +.
Introducing car parking charges is big business for all involved. When people complained about charges being introduced in other Highland towns the Director of Community Services supposedly said if people didn't stop complaining he was minded to introduce car parking charges throughout Highland region.
I asked Loch Lomond why they saw fit to use a private company to introduce charges to Tarbet car park, the answer was that it would help pay for the upkeep of the carpark and the provison of the service.
Personally I wonder what do all the Loch Lomond parks warden do for their money apart from drive at 20mph down the A82.
Soldier of fortune
Stravaiging

Munros:43   Corbetts:6

Postby Alchik » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:24 pm

One of the biggest problems that I found during my recent trip to the Loch Lomond area is the need to have a ready supply of pound coins to hand as there is no other way to pay.

Can it really be beyond the wit of man to sell a "tourist parking pass" or similar?

I personally wouldn't mind paying £5 per day for parking, although it would be nice to see toilets (or even a sign saying where the nearest public toilets can be found) in every car park.
Alchik
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:14   Islands:13

Postby Giant Stoneater » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:13 pm

It could be worse,Edinburgh Airport dropping off charges are going up to £10 for 10 to 20 mins.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion