walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Parking charges at Succoth, Arrochar.

Re: Parking charges at Succoth, Arrochar.

Postby Spade » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:54 pm

Rip off, Simple as that. You should expect a valet park with complimentary tea n bun for £9. As for the SNP ( Scottish National protest) 'Cause that's all they ever do, then don't rely on a decent response from that lot, their just turning the austerity screw just as tightly,
Spade

Munros:80   Corbetts:5

Postby Gareth Harper » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:11 pm

Spade,

Argyll and Bute is not an SNP controlled council.
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:82
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Spade » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:19 pm

I'm meaning at a national level. and yes their hopeless
Spade

Munros:80   Corbetts:5

Postby chigton » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:10 pm

I got this reply from the council about it, fairly standard. Anyone go to or hear about the public consultation on this, assuming there was one?
Attachments
Council.JPG
chigton

Postby Gareth Harper » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:35 am

I'm meaning at a national level. and yes their hopeless.

Council car parking charges are set by local councils, not the national government.

The local council, in this case Argyll and Bute, is not an SNP controlled council.

This is a local issue, not a national issue.
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:82
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Sunset tripper » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:40 pm

The ridiculous parking charges (council and private) started south of the border long ago and the SNP can't be blamed for that.

But I agree they should be applying pressure or demanding the rip off parking policies come to a stop. I personally would be quite happy to pay for parking through my taxes, local or national even though I would be worse off as I very rarely pay for parking for the hills at the moment. I just think it's far fairer. :wink:
Sunset tripper

Postby Billbobaggins » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:46 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:The ridiculous parking charges (council and private) started south of the border long ago and the SNP can't be blamed for that.

But I agree they should be applying pressure or demanding the rip off parking policies come to a stop. I personally would be quite happy to pay for parking through my taxes, local or national even though I would be worse off as I very rarely pay for parking for the hills at the moment. I just think it's far fairer. :wink:

I agree... blame the English!! :lol:
Billbobaggins

Munros:85   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:48   

Postby CharlesT » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:58 pm

Billbobaggins wrote:I agree... blame the English!! :lol:

Just thought I'd point out that here in the civilised world of West Oxfordshire all council owned parking is free.😊
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Sunset tripper » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:57 am

CharlesT wrote:
Just thought I'd point out that here in the civilised world of West Oxfordshire all council owned parking is free.😊

Well done to West Oxfordshire. Cornwall, Snowdonia, the lake district and now unfortunately the highlands - take note. :D

Moriarty wrote:
If some magic unicorn f*rted out a cash injection into the economy I'd rather see free/heavily subsidised transport from more deprived city areas to the country, rather than funding the not so badly off/doing OK/well off who can already afford to spend on cars/fuel/running costs to get there.

It might be hard to believe but some countries can provide world class affordable transport without the need for a magic unicorn :wink:
Sunset tripper

Postby al78 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:48 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:The ridiculous parking charges (council and private) started south of the border long ago and the SNP can't be blamed for that.

Motoring is cheap in the UK (try using buses or trains), all but the most poverty stricken people have access to a car (and by global standards no-one in the UK is in significant poverty). I don't see why it is fairer for taxpayers to subsidise parking, unless you can provide a convincing argument that free parking is a social good without any negative consequences. I don't see the problem with a small charge for parking, and in some areas it is not expensive enough. Try getting a space at Pen-y-Pass car park on a sunny weekend without having to get out of bed at silly-o-clock if you live more than an hour away.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Giant Stoneater » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:43 am

al78 wrote:Motoring is cheap in the UK (try using buses or trains), all but the most poverty stricken people have access to a car (and by global standards no-one in the UK is in significant poverty). I don't see why it is fairer for taxpayers to subsidise parking, unless you can provide a convincing argument that free parking is a social good without any negative consequences. I don't see the problem with a small charge for parking, and in some areas it is not expensive enough. Try getting a space at Pen-y-Pass car park on a sunny weekend without having to get out of bed at silly-o-clock if you live more than an hour away.

"Motoring is cheap in the UK" not when you take in the cost of a vehicle to get you there and back.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:07 am

al78 wrote: I don't see the problem with a small charge for parking, and in some areas it is not expensive enough. Try getting a space at Pen-y-Pass car park on a sunny weekend without having to get out of bed at silly-o-clock if you live more than an hour away.

They charge £10 minimum at pen-y-pas!
Are you suggesting they should up it to say £15 or £20 to price some folk out of the car park and then you could get a space because you are willing to pay?

I've been on top of Snowdon 3 times and found the parking to be difficult and expensive every time. Why not build a bigger car park or have an inexpensive park and ride to pen-y-pas to take the numbers down at the car park. Personally I wont be back there or the Lake District and that is one of the reasons.

To be honest though I guess that's what they want because the visitor numbers are too high already. :wink:
Sunset tripper

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:45 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:Personally I wont be back there or the Lake District and that is one of the reasons.

Can't speak for Wales, but I've been to the Lakes a lot over the past 3-4 years and only ever had to pay for parking in towns. I don't get the "this is an English thing" at all.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Giant Stoneater » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:06 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:
al78 wrote: I don't see the problem with a small charge for parking, and in some areas it is not expensive enough. Try getting a space at Pen-y-Pass car park on a sunny weekend without having to get out of bed at silly-o-clock if you live more than an hour away.

They charge £10 minimum at pen-y-pas!
Are you suggesting they should up it to say £15 or £20 to price some folk out of the car park and then you could get a space because you are willing to pay?

I've been on top of Snowdon 3 times and found the parking to be difficult and expensive every time. Why not build a bigger car park or have an inexpensive park and ride to pen-y-pas to take the numbers down at the car park. Personally I wont be back there or the Lake District and that is one of the reasons.

To be honest though I guess that's what they want because the visitor numbers are too high already. :wink:

https://www.gwynedd.llyw.cymru/en/Residents/Parking-roads-and-travel/Travel-passes/Snowdon-Sherpa.aspx
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:35 pm

Cheers Stoneater, I,'ve had a quick look at the park and ride and the car park is £5 at Nant Peris + £2 each way on the bus. I don't know the logistics of it but that's still £9 for one person and would work out at £21 for a car of four people so you can understand why people are paying £10 at Pen-y-pas, £20 if they park overnight before hand. There are several articles online about it.
https://www.shropshirestar.com/entertainment/attractions/2018/03/30/snowdonia-car-parking-rise-shock/
Sunset tripper

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion