walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Want to walk 3 Yorkshire peaks

Re: Want to walk 3 Yorkshire peaks

Postby Kmo86 » Wed May 15, 2019 8:07 pm

Well as it’s getting warm again I should be getting out doing more walks again. Still attending the group which now has a few new staff which means some good changes but also a new member of staff planning outings. The fish trail walk didn’t happen well part of it did but not a proper walk more just wander round. Well I have been insisting the 10 mile hill walk still happens. I haven’t had chance to talk to the man about it properly, but he is sticking to agreeing we will do a 10 mile hill walk this year. When and where I don’t know. He has said in Brantingham but I don’t think there is any tough hills there and he said we would walk round the car park to make it to 10 mile. He was in weird mood when he said it as it was his mans funeral day after so he was bit upset yet still winding me up so giving mixed messages.

Now he has said we can discuss it next week. I am now thinking of doing hill walking myself in hope of him believing I could manage the 3 Yorkshire peaks then doing them sometime when he is walking them.
Kmo86
Mountaineer

Postby Kmo86 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:58 am

New plan. The new member of staff is refusing to do the 10 mile hill walk as it doesn’t interest many people so we will be doing another at Brantingham but only 5 mile. My new plan is me practicing going up hills running and walking round local hilly uneven area and then plan the Yorkshire 3 peaks with a few people from the group who want to do them. I have mentioned it to the man who set group up and I’m hoping he will join us as he is the only one who has done them before and the whole idea of not rushing into them is so he may join us.
Kmo86
Mountaineer

Postby Kmo86 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:09 pm

my new plan still going ahead I wasn’t sure at first if the training could be for nothing as I’m hoping the next time the man does the Yorkshire peaks I can join him. This is something he’s hinted could happen but doesn’t want to promise anything as he knows if he does I will be on til it happens.

A few week back I spoke to the man about me practicing up hills and running up easier hills to practice towards 3 peaks. He did say if he felt I could manage to do them safely he would be ok me going along next time he walks them. This was made clearer this week when a woman who works at the group said she wanted a work with me it was to discuss this idea. Basically even me going along when the man does the 3 peaks means he is responsible for me still (annoyingly) so the only way that could ever happen is if he is convinced I could manage them which is going to take a lot of work but will be worth it. The woman said I need to reach several smaller targets to work up to the 3 peaks which makes sense so first one I’ve set is manage 3 mile in an hour round Danes dyke which is near me and got hills and steps some parts are hard to do fast others are easy so 3 mile is like my normal walking pace and cos it is much easier than 3 peaks I should manage further than the 2 mile per hour needed for that. Up to now I’ve done 2.75 mile in just under an hour so very close to it but it’s definitely not something I’d say is easy.
Kmo86
Mountaineer

Postby Sgurr » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:14 pm

Annoying how long it takes to get fit. Good luck and stick with it.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Kmo86 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:43 pm

Thanks yea it is but got to keep thinking even if I could prove I could manage them now I’d still be waiting til next year to do them and probably not pushing myself as much which could mean I’d find it harder. Will be annoying if they don’t think I’m ready by next year but got plenty of time to make sure I am ready. Another thing after all this waiting I’ve done it will make me make sure I am as ready as possible cos I don’t want to let the charity down and put them in situation where they could be blamed for me struggling as it’s totally down to me wanting to do this. If I had my way I’d have already tried them to see how it went it’s the charity being cautious and wanting me to be prepared.
Kmo86
Mountaineer

Postby Kmo86 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:15 pm

Been told about a place near me where there is a lot of steps to climb to practice hill walking so going to check it out maybe tomorrow. It’s clear the man who I’m wanting to do 3 peaks with doesn’t believe at all that I’m going to do enough training to do them. Which is just making me more determined to prove him wrong.
Kmo86
Mountaineer

Postby Kmo86 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:37 pm

Well I managed 3 mile round Danes dyke in an hour not easily but had another meeting with the woman about it to see what next step should be. Annoyingly she said I need to get a doctors note before I do anything more. Ok a doctor could confirm I don’t have any health problems that would mean it was dangerous for me to do certain things but no doctor is going to know what anyone is capable of doing in exercise apart from going through a door walking few steps to sit down and a few steps to exit the room.

So pointless having any more meetings, but that’s not stopping me still doing my own training. I am still practicing at Danes dyke and plan to go to the 3 Yorkshire peaks early next year to walk one peak hopefully in 3 and half hours. The man is still saying if he thought I could manage them safely he would do them with me.

Today we did the shorter walk of what he promised. The member of staff who planned it changed it a bit to include more people. We did the walk in brantingham in 2 groups. One group was people who couldn’t manage the longer walk and other group a longer harder walk. Both were easy enough. The longer walk was planned to be 3 mile the shorter one just shorter than 3 mile and less hills. Both actually went further than planned short one was nearly 3 mile longer one 4 and half mile. Everyone enjoyed it so we will hopefully be doing it again next time the longer walk will be at least 6 mile. It seems that the staff will agree to longer walks as long as they know everyone will be ok so I’m working on that.
Kmo86
Mountaineer

Postby Sgurr » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:36 pm

It"s a long journey
. Good for you for staying patient and focussed
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Postby Kmo86 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:02 pm

Yea I’ve never wanted to do something for this long so now I’m thinking I need to try just to see if I could manage it for myself. Do one peak record it on an app on my phone so the man can see how long it takes and see what he says cos I think if I manage to do just one peak in 3 and half hours it will make him think weather I could manage or not instead of being certain that I wouldn’t.
Kmo86
Mountaineer

Postby Kmo86 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:55 pm

Well today the plan of doing one peak got easier. For first time the man hinted at me to mention wanting to do the Yorkshire 3 peaks so I did. I told him I’d been doing some training on hills and steps and recorded it on an app that shows how far you go and speed you go. He then said we will do one of the peaks next year completely unexpectedly. All year he’s been saying he doesn’t plan outings and it’s up to the woman who does what we do and she’s made it clear there will be no outings where there is only hill walk as not enough people want to do that. He had a word with the woman and told her he’s promised we will do one peak and she said I’d need a doctors note confirming I’m ok to do one peak. This is what the man used to try to shut me up about it before today he just went quiet and said he will talk to the woman and sort something.
Kmo86
Mountaineer

Postby Kmo86 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:42 pm

Wow just read this thread back time for update. So end of last year the man unexpectedly agreed to do 1 peak this year. Now at start of this year January to March he was insisting it would only be ever be 1 peak then that would be it over. Of course I was still wanting to do all 3 so hopefully if I could manage 1 ok it would persuade him to do more. I made this clear and he made it clear this was not going to happen no matter how well I managed 1 we would not do any more and if I carried on wanting to do more we wouldn’t do any. So basically I had to just focus on 1 and then I would mention 2 or all 3.

Well then as everyone knows plans changed. Stupid Covid 19 everywhere in lockdown so no peak done. After lockdown ended the 1st time back at the centre in August I joked to the man he hadn’t kept his promise and new compromise should be 2 peaks. I expected him to say no and say still only 1, but he just laughed and said it will be next year now. I decided to say I knew he’d do more providing he could see I was ok and I had been practicing hills and walking. He said he wasn’t agreeing to more cos he knew I’d not forget. So left it at that for then.

Since then he has agreed to do 1 peak next year and providing I manage ok we could go again and do 2 and then all 3. Finally we have agreed. Also he’s said as long as I don’t feel dizzy he would do more. So now I have at least 6 month to train to make sure I manage all 3. Could be longer as no one knows what’s going to happen with Covid and the restrictions.
Kmo86
Mountaineer

Postby dalavil » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:15 am

I greatly admire your determination. Hope it works out for you. Good luck.
dalavil

Munros:279   Corbetts:221
Fionas:72   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:52   
Islands:26

Postby Sgurr » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:11 pm

Covid is such a bind for those who are just starting out on their walking careers. Ideally they would join a club, but joining anything seems out currently and newbies are left to their own devices. Good luck, at least the man seems on board.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Postby Kmo86 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:38 am

Yea he’s finally realised I’m never going to give up on the idea. I always knew he would give in first as he always tells people to never give up and push their limits so even when he was saying we wasn’t going to do it he was in two minds weather to or not. The only thing that has put him off doing it is incase I don’t manage he’s worried he could be in trouble. So I just had to convince him I’m serious and going to manage safely. Well not go dizzy and not trip up or anything so should be easy. Hard part will be completing them but can carry on with legs aching so going to do it.

Also he’s mentioned a walk in Brantingham where we have been twice before next year which will be for who ever wants to go. That should be fun as last time he said next time we will do at least 6 mile and I’ll joke that this will be his last chance to get out of doing Yorkshire peaks as if I can’t manage Brantingham he can get out of it. I think he will know I will manage Brantingham as I have both other times.
Kmo86
Mountaineer

Postby Kmo86 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:59 pm

How much does what you eat effect how you manage on physical exercise? I’ve never noticed anything I eat effect what I can or can’t do. I’m asking this as the man has now got it into his head to keep on at me about eating healthy. Not major change last but little changes like bit more fruit and veg and miss out a sweet snack so it’s possible. I am the sort of person who learns from experiences and eating how I do has never stopped me doing anything. I’m not the worst eater but I do like sweet things a few times a week. It’s pretty much eat what I want. I do eat some fruit and veg but probably not enough.

Example of learning through experiences is 2 years back at Hope valley with this group I knew you could go dizzy through not drinking enough water so I took water and was drinking it. I wasn’t hungry so hadn’t eaten. 2 mile in I started feeling dizzy so had to sit down. The man knew straight away I needed to eat so encouraged me to eat and I felt better after that. So now when im going to be doing anything physical I will make sure I have eaten I will never make that mistake again.
Kmo86
Mountaineer

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion