walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Want to walk 3 Yorkshire peaks

Re: Want to walk 3 Yorkshire peaks

Postby Sgurr » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:51 pm

Great stuff. Probably a better experience to have to overcome difficulties than if you had sailed through it. Maybe build up gradually to the 3 peaks and get them done eventually rather than push for them too soon. I bet you are proud of yourself, and so you should be.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Kmo86 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:52 pm

Yea I think it did probably help more than if I’d found it easy. Also it proved to the staff that I won’t push myself too much. The man who organised it had joked before it that he could imagine me collapsing and still saying I’m ok and can manage so at least he now knows I will make sure I am ok.

Will be talking to him next week about how he feels it went and about more walks. I’m still hoping to work towards 3 Yorkshire peaks and I think I’ll manage to convince him it’s still a good idea.
Kmo86
Mountaineer

Postby Kmo86 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:25 pm

Well it seems the original plan has been stopped or put on hold. The man has decided no longer walks. I can understand why he’s being cautious. It was tougher than I expected and would need to practice hill walking to speed up and be ok. So based on everything I’m still not giving up on this 3 peak thing. They are open to doing more similar walks which is what I will work on. I will be practicing hills and steps to get used to them and hopefully manage the next one much better as I know if I do they will at least be tempted to do further walks.
Kmo86
Mountaineer

Postby mrssanta » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:06 pm

Good for you for determination. the main thing is to keep putting one foot in front of the other! Even if you don't eventually do the 3 peaks in one go you can have a lot of fun out there
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Kmo86 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:23 pm

Yea exactly and the man said they don’t have time to do all training I would need. I know him well enough now to know when and what he will go along with. Before the walk I was meant to take part in marathon relay with him and few others but I was unable to and he knew I really wanted to be part but it was something I knew he wouldn’t back down on for right reasons. This is more in my control so I will be doing everything I can to do longer walks and I think if he sees I’m likely to manage safely he is more likely to go along with what I want.
Kmo86
Mountaineer

Postby Kmo86 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:30 pm

I have been thinking I do still want to do the 3 Yorkshire peaks nothing will put me off. The man has said he will do another same length walk next year. So I’m thinking I need to practice hills and my balance so I can manage it better than this time in hope that the man will change his mind about not doing any longer hill walks.

Spoke to him today and mentioned that he had said he would do another 10 mile hill walk and he said he will start of next year. That is exactly when I was hoping he would say. He also pointed out one of reasons he’s not agreeing to longer walks is staff shortage indicating he would like to do longer hill walks. I asked if I manage the next one fine would he consider doing longer walks and he didn’t really give definite answer so it is a possibility. Considering there is only 5 of us who would want to do longer walks maybe less it could be possible as there is one person who wanted to do the 10 mile last month who missed out cos of not enough space and that was a member of staff so I’m confident I’ll manage to talk him round. Even more after talking to him today as if he wasn’t going to agree to longer walks ever he would have made it clear but he’s like left it as see what happens.
Kmo86
Mountaineer

Postby Kmo86 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:21 am

Other week a woman started talking to me about the walks and asked how they were going. I remembered her from when we was setting off to do 10 mile me and man who organised was talking to her I told her I want to walk 3 Yorkshire peaks but was working up to them. So she asked how it went, I admitted I struggled but still want to do more hill walks. I told her the man who organised it has said he’s not doing any longer walks as he doesn’t have enough staff she said she’d have a word with him telling him it would be nice for us to do more. He still says he will do another same length next year so there is hope for more.

Also I’ve had idea which we will be talking about next week of me organising activities and outings for the group which could be a way to get some more walks in tho that’s not reason I’m doing it.

Been wanting to know since doing the 10 mile if the man thought of making me go back when I struggled and sat down. I thought it would of at least crossed his mind, but he said it didn’t but he did think I was going to pass out as I was sat staring into space and he kept telling me to eat my chocolate bar. I don’t even remember that bit. I remember sitting down getting chocolate bar out starting eating and finishing it but must be bit in middle I don’t remember only matter of seconds as I thought I remembered it all. Think me actually sitting down showed him I won’t push myself too much and risk injury or illness. Also what ever way I went from there it would have been 2 mile or 8 mile walk so even going back when I sat down I wouldn’t have managed so think that probably made him go along with me not wanting to go back. I told him that the reason I sat down when I went dizzy is cos I thought he would give me choice to carry on. Maybe some would say he should of made me go back especially if anything had gone wrong later, but honestly if I had thought I’d have to go back I would have pushed myself too much and risked passing out. Now they know they can leave me to decide when or if I finish things early. I was determined I was doing that walk and them not pushing me to go back allowed me to manage it safely.
Kmo86
Mountaineer

Postby Kmo86 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:17 pm

Well as it’s winter the next 10 mile hill walk isn’t going to be happening anytime soon and me keep mentioning it isn’t going to help anything. So not mentioning til spring time. For now I’ve got another plan which seems to be going well tho not actually done anything towards it yet.

Other week a woman who attends the group did a reef making activity session which gave me the idea I could organise something’s for the group so thought of Xmas quiz and outings with me being bit unsure on outings as the staff have said a lot of work needs to go into planning them. So I decided to plan a quiz then I thought to make a start on outings I’d mention wanting to do a little walk. The man suggested a route fish trail in Hull which is 3 mile and a set route which can be found on Internet. So I’m going to do that hopefully before xmas. Good thing is the man seems keen and has mentioned we could do it on a Wednesday as an extra thing rather than instead of a social time which I had suggested so will mean seeing everyone extra. I hope to plan more walks and longer ones if it does get as far as 3 Yorkshire peaks great if not I will enjoy organising them and also it will give me chance to discuss options of walks without staff feeling like I’m going on.
Kmo86
Mountaineer

Postby Sgurr » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:42 pm

Sounds like a fun walk. Electric eel outside the sub-station etc, and I suppose the powers that be would get into trouble if they embarked on a full-on winter walk as illustrated further up this thread. Hope you get to do it.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Kmo86 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:29 am

Yea I think it’s the risk that they could end up in trouble if they did tougher walks and anyone took ill that’s put them off taking risk. Especially after both walks they have done someone did feel dizzy. I think also they are bit worried I would push myself too much which I can’t even honestly promise I wouldn’t. I wouldn’t think I would but honestly if they had tried to push me to go back I mite have pushed myself too much cos I was either going to do that walk or know 100% there was no way I could have done it.

Seems like this idea of me planning some walks is going to go well as the man who runs group doesn’t normally think of anything apart from what is actually happening at that time due to his brain injury, but this week we had day out bowling and while playing in between turns he mentioned we could do the fish trail walk one Wednesday. So think he’s looking forward to it. I’m wishing I’d said a longer one but sticking with this and show him I can manage and then plan more could even do long flat walks. Got a lot in mind but tick to one at a time for now.
Kmo86
Mountaineer

Postby Sack the Juggler » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:08 pm

Its very motivational hearing about your determination to do this, thanks for sharing. Its best waiting until it warms up to attempt the 3 peaks, but in the meantime try to keep walking each day if you can, it will keep you fit so when you start the longer walks again it wont take you too long to be walking fit.
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby Kmo86 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:10 am

I do walk regularly as I have a dog so go on walks with him normally 2 to 3 miles. I’ve always been used to walking a lot so that is why I first started wanting to do 3 Yorkshire peaks as the man didn’t and still doesn’t think I’d manage them in daylight hours.
Kmo86
Mountaineer

Postby Kmo86 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:41 pm

Well 12th December will be the fish trail walk. Going to be a challenge for me tho managing the walk will be easy. I’m going to lead the group round and plan any stops along the way. I’m no good with directions and I’m not used to leading anything. Going to try to find the route next week and walk it on my own noting where cafes are or anywhere to stop. Then on the day it will be a test for me to see if I manage to keep leading way and not let anyone take over. The man who runs group will likely need reminding that he’s not in charge a few times but will be good atmosphere cos we do joke with each other.
Kmo86
Mountaineer

Postby mrssanta » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:35 pm

Hope it goes well!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Kmo86 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:02 pm

Well walks put on hold TIL new year as not many want to do the fish trail walk before Christmas. Man who runs the group has said we will start doing some walks in new year on a Wednesday. He seems keen to do some so going to look at walk near Humber bridge as well and mention that. As really the fish trail walk only got planned as I wanted to give something like a walk a go and didn’t want the man being overly cautious saying no thinking I wouldn’t manage it.
Kmo86
Mountaineer

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion