walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Want to walk 3 Yorkshire peaks

Want to walk 3 Yorkshire peaks

Postby Kmo86 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:20 am

This is a long post which if people are interested in I will keep updating.

I attend a brain injury group which is what set me off wanting to walk the 3 peaks. The man who set the group up has done them twice now. First time was last year and he was talking to someone about them afterwards and saw me listening, straight away he said I wouldn’t manage them. I hadn’t even said anything but he could obviously tell I was thinking that I’d like to walk them. This set me off wanting to walk them.

My plan was I would walk the 3 Yorkshire peaks with the man and woman who ran group. The woman was more optimistic about me managing them and giving them a go. She planned that a group of us from the group would have a full day and camp out to walk the 3 peaks this June. She knew not everyone would manage all 3 so the plan was have groups doing how much they could manage. The man wasn’t included in this but I was still up for it as he would find out how I got on.

As the time got closer it became clear the walk wasn’t going to happen. A few of the group wanted to still walk the 3 peaks. So I mentioned it to the man and asked if he would come with us. To my surprise he agreed then added he’d feel better if we worked up to them starting with a 10 mile hill walk. He struggles to have time for stuff so I said as long as he had/made the time then I’d be happy to do that. The 10 mile hill walk was planned for my birthday end of last month.

At start of July the woman who was going to be helping the man on 10 mile walk left so that meant the man had much more work to do and more pressure on him to keep everything going. I half expected the walk to be cancelled or at least delayed, but instead it was reduced to a 5 mile hill walk closer to where the group is held.

For the 5 mile walk there was 4 staff (all staff at group) I honestly thought it was being more careful than needed. Staff had sun cream for anyone who needed it and water. We had a few breaks as some were struggling. One woman who was struggling did take ill and had to go back with another woman who I think just decided to go back and 2 of staff. After that the man who planned this walk did seem fine and more relaxed than before. He even added an extra hill at end and didn’t have as many rests. There were 1 or 2 that I thought may not manage it all but they did. After the 5 mile I asked the man if I’d managed better than he thought he said he knew I would manage it even if I had struggled. I didn’t struggle but I know that is where I would need to be careful as I’ve never not managed any walking before so wouldn’t be sure how much I could push myself. The man joked that he imagines I could end up having to crawl struggling so much and still be saying I’m fine.

Next is the 10 mile walk that had been planned for last month that is next month, but cos of 2 not managing the 5 mile walk everyone needs a doctors note saying they are fit to do 10 mile. I understand the staff just want to make sure they can’t get blame for anyone falling ill but I’ve only been under my current doctor 2 year and never seen them so may not be able to get a note. Going to find out and if not there will have to be another way staff can cover themselves from any blame cos I’m determined I will and can do this walk and they know there needs to be a way I can do it to shut me up lol.
Kmo86
Mountaineer

Re: Want to walk 3 Yorkshire peaks

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:58 pm

Good luck :thumbup:
Sunset tripper

Postby Sgurr » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:38 pm

I imagine if you haven't been to see a doctor for the last 2 years, they will assume there isn't much wrong with you on the walking front. Let's hope you can get a doctor's note or equivalent and give it a go. Walking is so good for your general health I imagine this is why they suggested it in the first place.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Arthurs Eat » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:17 am

You can clearly articulate yourself, and clearly are capable of walking distances, so if want to do the Three Peaks (which I have done a couple of times) then why do you need a group at all. Don't let them hold you back if you want to do something. Obviously take appropriate precautions including medical advice but enjoy it anyway. Good Luck!
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:14   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Postby Mojocat » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:41 am

Your determination to complete this walk is inspiring. I don't know what level of support you need to achieve this of course, but maybe a local walking club or more informal group could help. There are many groups around the country offering different types of support, from simply company to share the walk with to route planning and guidance. You are not short of perseverance, one of the vital strengths on the hills, good luck and keep us posted.
Mojocat
Hill Bagger

Postby mrssanta » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:01 pm

it makes me cross that they ask for a doctor's note to say you are fit "to cover themselves". How on earth does that cover them and for what exactly?
Not cross with you obviously. But your doctor has not been with you on a five mile hike so how on earth is he or she supposed to know how fit you are? And what a waste of an appointment when people who are ill cannot get one! And also it appears you are perfectly capable yourself of weighing up and understanding the risks and making your own decision on what risks are acceptable to you. It's paternalistic at best.
(PS I am a GP and these kind of requests make me really cross. I would refuse to supply one, because it can get totally ridiculous. we once had somebody who needed a doctors letter to go on a cookery course! But I would offer to write to the organisers and explain why)
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby DopeyLoser » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:08 pm

I don't know anything about your situation of course, apart from what I've read from you. However it seems to me you are going the right way about it, doing 5 miles, then 10 miles, i.e. one step at a time.

IMHO doing the three peaks is something you can work up to. So many people want to go straight to the "highest experience" without putting in the prep work. And short walks, lots of them, are lots of fun.

Anyhow, I suggest you should not just be doing one walk a month. If you are able to get about on your own, you should do a walk every few days, a short one, even in a park or along a traffic free route (e.g. signed path). Go to places where you find navigation easy i.e. won't get lost. Try to make each one 5 miles or even more. Aim for a tearoom at the far end, have a cup of tea, then walk back

Log your walks, so that you can show you have experience and capabilitiy. If you do need to get a note, a doctor would presumably be more inclined to sign a note if you can tell them about your experience. Your walks would also help you be fit for your longer group walk.

Good luck.
DopeyLoser

Postby Kmo86 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:23 pm

Thanks for all reply’s. I enjoy walking more with people to talk to. I go to this group often and they do like to encourage people to exercise and eat healthier I’m more into the exercise part.

Well good news it’s not looking like we will need drs note now they are having talk about it this week and letting us know next week. It’s cos on the first walk a woman did take ill so that worried the staff as they are responsible for anyone who goes. Stupid I know but they can be in trouble if anything went wrong as they are a charity helping brain injured people.

The man who’s organising the walks has advised me to get some practice longer walks done and to record them on an app we both have so he can see. I think he’s too cautious but will do it just to put his mind at rest. I’ve always done a lot of walking and never yet not managed. That’s not saying I’ll never not manage but it would take a lot for me to not manage. 10 mile I’ll be surprised if I struggle at all. Maybe when it gets to 20 I may but again I can carry on a while after starting to struggle.
Kmo86
Mountaineer

Postby Sgurr » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:57 pm

At least it won't be like this. Trainee soldiers on the summit of Ingleborough one December

Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Postby Kmo86 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:17 pm

We no longer need drs note saying we can do 10 mile walk it’s now likely going to be we need to sign to say we will be ok and wont blame staff at group if anything happens. Only we may need someone else to sign as well as because we all have brain injuries we are classed as vulnerable so a cater or parent may need to sign. My mum can be awkward and stubborn and doesn’t see why she would need to sign as I’m an adult which she does have a valid point but I am already working out ways round if she refuses to sign she knows I would manage. I’ve spoken to one of staff today and they said if I record walks I do that can be used to show I should be able to manage 10 mile. I’ve recorded a few 3 and 4 mile walks going to do more and record any walks I do so they can see 10 mile will not be a problem. I don’t do 10 mile much but do like 2-3 mile twice a day easily. So going to record everything then nearer time if they don’t think I’ve done enough to cover themselves I will do whatever they ask me to do on my own.

This walk I know I can easily manage and should manage 15 mile then 20 will probably start getting tough. I will want to do 20 and probably could but not easily.
Kmo86
Mountaineer

Postby Kmo86 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:44 am

All set to do the 10 mile we have had to sign to say we have no health conditions etc no reason why we wouldn’t be safe doing a long walk nothing specific about 10 mile hill walk which means it will cover us to do longer walks as well. My mum has needed to sign which I just told her if she didn’t I’d need to try to get a drs note which she didn’t want me to do so it didn’t leave her with much choice for once.

There are 2 members of staff who don’t seem keen to do these walks not that they can’t manage just don’t think they are that keen on walking and I guess walking up hills will make them less keen. But hopefully the other 2 will keep doing the walks with who ever wants to do more. Think they will start to relax more after next 1 as they will have an idea how everyone will get on. Think there will only be about 7 or 8 doing 10 mile and 3 or 4 staff so possible they may do longer walks with just 2 staff. They are expecting everyone to manage it this time as the 2 who didn’t manage the 5 mile are not doing 10 and I don’t think one who did the 5 but struggled is doing 10. There is one who may struggle with 10 who is doing it other than that should all be ok.

I’ve been recording a few walks I do with my dog as backup incase my mum didn’t sign for me to do the walk but will keep them as the man who’s organising it can see them just to put his mind at rest. I am even more determined to manage these walks now and looking forward to the even longer ones tho this 10 mile one is going to be good as it’s going to be most of day out and I don’t think I’ve ever done anything challenging after being up really early so will be a test for me.
Kmo86
Mountaineer

Postby Sgurr » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:55 pm

Good luck.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Postby Kmo86 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:58 am

Well still looking forward to this 10 mile hill walk 3 week today man organising it knows I’m doing it. He had been on holiday when papers was signed for me to do it so even tho he guessed I’d be doing it it hadn’t been made definite. He has said he will have a look at walks I’ve done in last few week next week I think it’s more to give me something to focus on and so he can see I’ll be ok doing walks. He’s said the 10 mile walk will depend on the weather forecast day before as we will be setting off 8.15 and that means even earlier 7am for me to get to where they set off from. So won’t be time to cancel on day before I set off. Hopefully will get a 15 mile done in November but as weather will b getting worse could get delayed and man still sticking to see how walk before goes before planning next which is opposite to me which has led him to point out a few times he doesn’t have to do the walks so now I’m only mentioning the walk coming up and after one may mention the next. I have always been one to look further ahead than needed and doesn’t really help knowing the man is always busy so can imagine him saying he hasn’t got time for the walks. But he knows I can go on so hopefully he will keep making time for them.

I know this is looking too far ahead but after 3 Yorkshire peaks I will want to try something else like it. The 3 national peaks came into my head but it seems that is similar amount of walking but with long breaks between so not too sure as some say it’s more a driving challenge. Maybe doing 3 peaks and staying awake all time. Or the Wales 3000 not looked into that much but would be long way to travel or maybe just stick to y3p doing it twice in 2 days.
Kmo86
Mountaineer

Postby Kmo86 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:06 pm

Eventful but enjoyable day. The man who organised the walk had been joking about being worried if I’d manage it knowing I was determined I would. Well I fully expected to manage totally fine. I got a shock the first 4 to 5 mile were all up hill and we didn’t stop much. The only other woman was struggling so I thought I’d stay with her to support her and give me chance to rest. Well 2 miles in was too much for me I’m not one to make a fuss I like to just get on with things and be ok. I was struggling with my balance which isn’t great and probably worse for me being up early and I started feeling dizzy. The man who organised it was with me (probably last person I wanted to see me like this) I stopped for a drink which didn’t really help so I sat down. The man did ask if I wanted to go back, I think he knew my answer before he asked as soon as I said no he focused on making sure I was ok to continue. I had a chocolate bar with me which he encouraged me to eat which I did tho wasn’t at all hungry. I did mention still wanting to do other walks which he didn’t even discus he just told me to focus on this one as I don’t think he thought I’d be able to finish it. After finishing that I think time before i would have had to be forced to go back was running out as the man was getting worried about the others being kept waiting. Luckily I felt better so was able to carry on. The man was cautious with me for rest of walk understandably but did relax and have a joke with me later on. It’s been a long running thing me trying to video him dancing so once he knew I was ok but watching where I was going he danced knowing I wouldn’t get my phone out.

Still would love to do the 3 Yorkshire peaks but have to say I probably wouldn’t manage them yet. Great day and big achievement for me after finding it tougher than I thought. As I said at time of me needing to sit down and afterwards I learnt more from pushing myself and struggling than I would have if someone had told me I would feel dizzy and struggle on hills. I do learn more by my own experiences.
Kmo86
Mountaineer

Postby al78 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:12 pm

mrssanta wrote:it makes me cross that they ask for a doctor's note to say you are fit "to cover themselves". How on earth does that cover them and for what exactly?
Not cross with you obviously. But your doctor has not been with you on a five mile hike so how on earth is he or she supposed to know how fit you are? And what a waste of an appointment when people who are ill cannot get one! And also it appears you are perfectly capable yourself of weighing up and understanding the risks and making your own decision on what risks are acceptable to you. It's paternalistic at best.
(PS I am a GP and these kind of requests make me really cross. I would refuse to supply one, because it can get totally ridiculous. we once had somebody who needed a doctors letter to go on a cookery course! But I would offer to write to the organisers and explain why)

If it is an organised walk by a third party, it may be due to a requirement for their insurance to be valid. It is like when I did a cycle event in Scotland, the rule was that riders must wear a helmet, despite the fact that there is no evidence on a population scale that cycle helmets mitigate severe head injuries amongst cyclists. It is often demands from insurers, sometimes those demands are things that sound like common sense, but don't stand up to scientific scrutiny.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion