walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Wild camping during stalking season

Wild camping during stalking season

Postby HerdySheep » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:45 pm

Hi all,

even after reading through many posts here on WH, as well as looking at the Heading For The Scottish Hills web site, I still feel uncertain about how to behave correctly during deer stalking season. My partner and I have taken days off in the middle of September to do some wild camping in Lochaber. We'll be relying entirely on public transport, thus spontaneous moving to other areas does not seem feasible.

I'll try to summarise what I believe to have understood so far (but please do correct me if I am wrong!):
- as a walker it's my responsibility to find out about deer stalking activity in the areas I want to walk and also to obey signs/deer stalkers' information
- I should avoid disturbing stalking activity by sticking to footpaths/ridges
- stalking usually doesn't take place on NT land, John Muir Trust Land, Forestry Commission Land

What I feel I am not getting is the footpath/ridge thing: Am I allowed to walk through a stalked estate if I stick to a footpath? What qualifies as a footpath - does it include any track/path shown in an OS 1:25000 map?
Obviously, for camping, we will leave the path. Do we therefore need to end the day somewhere that's not being stalked? What if that proves impossible (due to lacking mobile reception/dead phones so that we couldn't find out about stalking in advance/bad weather and really slow walking)? Is it OK to wild camp in a stalked estate if we stick to the very top of a hill (might be a bad idea in bad weather, though)?

I am also having a hard time finding the areas in question on the list of estates on the Heading For The Hills site because it just lists hills (which are kind of irrelevant when taking a low-level route). Do I still have to check for every single mountain next to our path whether it's stalked? In that time, I will be too old to ever go walking again :(

And, lastly, would you discuss wild camping plans with a stalker/estate manager? Somehow I fear this will more likely lead to us being guided away from any land in question...(I mean, does anyone really want wild campers on the land they manage?)

I am very sorry for all these naive questions! It's the first time we'll be walking and sleeping away from well-troden long-distance trails...(and why did we have to choose stalking season for this?! :shock: )
HerdySheep
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:25   

Re: Wild camping during stalking season

Postby ScotFinn65 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:40 pm

Great points. I am unable to help as l am in exactly the same position. I don't think you are naive, these seem perfectly logical questions.

I am following with keen interest.

👍
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

Postby RocksRock » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:00 pm

I can't speak to camping, but walking in stalking season I have e-mailed the estate concerned the week before, mentioned the route I'm interested in and asked if that would cause them a problem. So far replies have always been helpful, telling me which part of the estate they are likely to be on on a particular day or advising/asking nicely to go another route for day such and such.

There are one or two notoriously anti-walker estates that won't help of course and some have signs advertising they stalk all year and every day!

As I understand it nobody stalks on Sunday.

Red deer stag stalking runs I July to 20 October and then hind stalking to 15 February.

http://www.deerstalkingscotland.co.uk/stalkingseasons.html

As to NT land, I do know that their Mar Lodge estate (Sn Cairngorms) is stalked. at least in part, but their Head Stalker was very helpful.

Hope you have a good trip amd decent weather.
RocksRock

Munros:4   Corbetts:7
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:26   Islands:8

Postby stirlingdavo » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:22 pm

Stalking very much does take place on NTS, John Muir Trust and Forestry Commission lands, but there are no restrictions on walking (their stalking isn't based around satisfying paying clients so they can work around the problem of walkers).

Most advice given by estates during the stalking period is to avoid going into corries or going off-path. Generally sticking to the main track or watercourse through a glen and following good paths up ridges onto the hill are ok. Especially if they're well trodden routes up munros. If these routes aren't ok there should be signs at the walk start or info on the web. As for camping I'd stick close to the paths or main watercourses and you'll be ok. That's where stalkers will be expecting to encounter folk anyway. The worst place to be in stalking season is up in the corries or well away from recognised routes as you're likely to disturb the deer.

The middle of Sept is prime stalking season so best to pay attention to any advice you get from the estate either off the web, by email/phone, signs on paths or if you happen across estate staff whilst out walking. If you know roughly where you're going and when I'd contact the estate if you can, they should be helpful. Ultimately it is your responsibility to try to find info on stalking where you're walking, but it is the estates responsibility to make that info available. If you can't find out anything after a decent effort just follow advice and stick to main paths and ridges and you won't be in the wrong.

There's no stalking on Sundays. Enjoy your trip!

Cheers David
stirlingdavo
Walker

Munros:141   Corbetts:99
Fionas:76   Donalds:39+9
Sub 2000:39   
Islands:27

Postby crfishwick » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:28 pm

HerdySheep wrote:
And, lastly, would you discuss wild camping plans with a stalker/estate manager? Somehow I fear this will more likely lead to us being guided away from any land in question...(I mean, does anyone really want wild campers on the land they manage?)

I have found most estate, stalkers and shepherds in the Scottish Highland very accommodating with advise. Although the odd one or two estates are very anti walkers. Most experienced hill-walkers will know the said Estates.

As for Wild camping if stalking does take place just ask. Usually all relevant info will be forthcoming including where they will be stalking on a particular day..

Don't camp in a coire. Lower down in glens would be OK as stalking does not really take place there. On a ridge! Could be a bit iffy in inclement weather plus a water supply maybe needed to be carried.
crfishwick

Postby prog99 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:54 pm

stirlingdavo wrote:There's no stalking on Sundays. Enjoy your trip!

Not strictly true, theres nothing stopping them it just doesn't happen too often.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby crfishwick » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:04 pm

prog99 wrote:
stirlingdavo wrote:There's no stalking on Sundays. Enjoy your trip!

Not strictly true, theres nothing stopping them it just doesn't happen too often.

Quite so. But can you name any Estate in Scotland that does stalk on a Sunday? :wink: :wink:
crfishwick

Postby davekeiller » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:46 pm

It mostly comes down to respect and common sense.
The Land Reform (Scotland) Act gives you the legal "right to roam", and you generally have the right to camp wherever you please (within certain limits). Those rights still hold during stalking season.
Having said that, if you choose to walk straight through an area where there is stalking going on, you're likely to disturb the deer and upset the stalkers (and possibly put yourself at risk, given that they are trying to shoot at the deer and might miss and hit you).
It's therefore sensible to stick to paths and ridges because those are areas where the stalkers are unlikely to be, and also makes it easier for you to be seen. Most estates try to have good relationships with walkers, climbers etc. and will probably be quite helpful if you phone them and ask about where they are stalking and if there are areas to avoid.
When it comes to where to camp, it's sensible to stay nearish to paths and main watercourses, but stalkers are likely to go home at 5 or 6 o'clock in the evening and won't be out again until the morning so it's unlikely to be a problem.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby HerdySheep » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:35 pm

Thanks a lot everyone!

We've now looked up the main surrounding hills and found it's only a couple of estates which we can actually contact (for some it says there will be signs if stalking is ongoing).

I will get back if I feel confused again.

Thanks again!
HerdySheep
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:25   

Postby Mantog » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:14 am

Having read this thread I realised I really should check with the estate who’s land I intend to wild camp/fish on later this month as they do have stalking. Spoke to their head stalking chap who was extremely helpful and gave suggestions on where to go and even mentioned a bothy I wasn’t aware of. A very positive experience!
Mantog
Munro compleatist

Munros:45   Corbetts:1
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:21   

Postby tony.cee » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:47 am

“and possibly put yourself at risk, given that they are trying to shoot at the deer and might miss and hit you”

:crazy:
I think we can rule that out 😂
tony.cee
Mountain Walker

Munros:99   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   

Postby ScotFinn65 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:33 am

Just my tuppence worth. Based on WalkHighands recommendation and following this thread, l got in touch with 2 estates in the Crianlarich hills, where l intend to wild camp this weekend.

I sent them my route map and rough camp locations.

My experience was extremely pleasant and very helpful.

Not only did they reply to my eMail within 24 hours but actually checked my route, noticed l was also walking on a bordering estate and gave me their contact details.

Within 36 hours of my initial contact, l received all replies, in the affirmative.

Delighted with the response. Not conflictual in any way. Just the opposite.

Happy clapper for that experience :clap:
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion