walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Is hiking while pregnant safe?

Is hiking while pregnant safe?

Postby abbykingsley26 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:47 am

I'm a pregnant mom and I`m going to go to a hiking trip on the 25nd week of pregnancy. I learned that hiking during pregnancy is a great way to stay active, to reduce the "wonderful" symptoms of pregnancy and get corrections in the open air. I wonder what is your opinion about it. Maybe someone has some experience. It will be 8-days long trip through The Great Glen Way.
abbykingsley26

Re: Is hiking while pregnant safe?

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:19 pm

Why don't you ask your doctor who will more than likely be way more qualified to answer that question
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Sgurr » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:40 pm

Pages and pages pop up when you google "hiking pregnant". There are some blogs, mostly based in the US, . Why not have a look? And also ask your doctor...we don't know what your general health is. I am now 79, and way back was far too lazy to do anything as strenuous. Times have changed and most people would argue that giving birth is far easier if you are in good physical shape. ...I certainly felt I had had the wrong (i.e. no) training. Great Glen Way is not as challenging as some long distance walks listed here.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby mrssanta » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:33 pm

I'd say if you feel well and are fit then go for it.
Issues I could anticipate might be that you might have difficulty getting your rucksack comfy if you have a bump, and the pregnancy hormones can soften ligaments so you probably should not carry a large load. Get someone else to carry the overnight gear for you!
the Great Glen way is not super-remote so if you find you are struggling you are not too far away from help.
there are risks to any outdoor activity, what you do is balance the perceived risks against the likely benefits and make a decision. There are no right or wrong answers but no reason that I know of to say that you shouldn't do it.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby davekeiller » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:45 pm

As above, probably best to speak to your midwife or GP, who can advise you based on some knowledge of your level of fitness, medical conditions etc. but if you're reasonably fit and haven't had any problems with the pregnancy then I don't see why you can't manage it at 25 weeks.

It might be best to arrange a baggage transfer service and only carry a light daypack, and you'll probably want a B&B or hotel each night, but the Great Glen way is flattish and not too remote so shouldn't be too challenging. It also has the advantage of being close enough to civilisation that you can duck out part way if you feel you need to.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby jac the lassie » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:17 am

I was still happily hiking at eight months pregnant. Just a lot slower :lol:
Drink plenty, nibble snacks often, take your time and above all listen to your body and your doctor.
I was up and walking the dogs with baba in a sling 48 hours after a c section and I think it was a lot to do with staying active, as long as I could through the pregnancy.
Good luck! :D
jac the lassie
Hill Bagger

Munros:73   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:24   

Postby abbykingsley26 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:39 pm

Thanks all of you for the answers an advice. I'm going to visit my doctor this Wednesday. My final decision will make on the basis of doctors' recommendations.
abbykingsley26

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion