walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Buachaille Etive Mor...advice for a newbie.

Buachaille Etive Mor...advice for a newbie.

Postby Mikeyroach91 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:33 pm

Hi just looking for some idea of the difficulty of climbing the two munros at Buachaille Etive Mor. Planning on going next Saturday cause the weather isn't meant to be too bad but I'm pretty new to hill walking and have only done 4 munros so far (Ben Lomond, Ben Vorlich, Stuc A’Chroin and Schiehallion) so don't want to bite off more than i can chew especially if the weather was to turn.

Thanks in advance
Mikey
Mikeyroach91
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Buachaille Etive Mor...advice for a newbie.

Postby spiderwebb » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:43 pm

if you are going by the standard route as per the walk description on this site, it shouldn't present any difficulties. Its straightforward up via Coire na Tulaich on a path, which steepens over rough ground near the top of the col, but nothing serious. On return from Stob na Broige, you can retrace your steps back down Tulaich or drop off down Coire Altruim :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Mikeyroach91 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:40 am

spiderwebb wrote:if you are going by the standard route as per the walk description on this site, it shouldn't present any difficulties. Its straightforward up via Coire na Tulaich on a path, which steepens over rough ground near the top of the col, but nothing serious. On return from Stob na Broige, you can retrace your steps back down Tulaich or drop off down Coire Altruim :D

Thanks, yeah i was planning on using the route described on here. Is the path easy enough to navigate even if visibilty isn't great?
Mikeyroach91
Mountain Walker

Postby spiderwebb » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:02 am

The route up the Corrie is on a well worn path, but it zig zags about near the top, but if you lose it, just kep in mind (GPS Waypoint maybe) the final objective at the lip. The rest is pretty straightforward as you'll be on a ridge to one degree or another so it should be fairly obvious, given the ground dropping away either side :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Mikeyroach91 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:02 pm

spiderwebb wrote:The route up the Corrie is on a well worn path, but it zig zags about near the top, but if you lose it, just kep in mind (GPS Waypoint maybe) the final objective at the lip. The rest is pretty straightforward as you'll be on a ridge to one degree or another so it should be fairly obvious, given the ground dropping away either side :D

Thanks, I've downloaded the GPS from this site so that will hopefully keep me right. Changed my plan and going to head up there in the morning since the weather looks like it’ll be better than Saturday
Mikeyroach91
Mountain Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion