walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Advice for October Cape Wrath Trail

Advice for October Cape Wrath Trail

Postby Mister » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:33 pm

Was just given notice that I have to take 3-4 weeks of vacation in October or lose it, so I've been looking at my big list of trip ideas and settled on a possible Cape Wrath Trail trip.

From research it sounds like October is the start of the slow season, so many services may be closed or closing. Since I'd be flying in from the USA around 10/3, I'm thinking of doing the trail North to South so that I can get the transportation to Cape Wrath out of the way at the start, since it sounds like things may shut down mid October this year. I'd also plan my return flight with a good amount of extra time after I'd expect to finish the trail, so that I can take longer on the hike or just spend it sightseeing if I finish on time.

I'm prepared for the actual hiking part of the trail quite well, done a number of similar length backpacking trips in the US, and have no issues with hiking in weather if I get unlucky with the forecasts.

Wondering if anyone has done the Cape Wrath Trail in October before and has any advice or tips about going at that time? Most write ups and guides I've seen, seem to talk about doing the trail in the spring / summer.

How many days should I plan to pack for food / fuel in October? No issue carrying 2 weeks worth if needed, but always nice to cut the pack weight down if resupply is an option.

How big of an issue is the deer stalking / Ministry of Defense closures that I've read about? Any websites that have more info on these out there?

Any advice on the best way to get from Edinburgh or Glasgow to Cape Wrath?
Mister
Scrambler

Re: Advice for October Cape Wrath Trail

Postby Sgurr » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:17 am

Cape Wrath Firing times are here, but only give September at the moment, which is rather alarming. They usually use it in September, but not this year. I don't know if this means this year is safe. or they will postpone to October. However, if the Cape Wrath lighthouse bus is running in October, they maybe have inside info.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/719163/20180625-HQ_SCOT_AND_NI_DTE_FIRING_NOTICES_JUl_18_CW.csv/preview

Stag shooting ends Oct 20th, and after that it is mostly the local stalker culling the hinds. It is probably the stag shooting you don't want to encounter as big money is involved and they will be annoyed if you upset them, however, you will not be going up into corries where much of the shooting takes place.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Sgurr » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:35 am

Best way to get to Cape Wrath is get a train or bus from Edinburgh to Inverness and thence Lairg. Get a bus to Durness and walk or hitch to the Cape Wrath ferry (Could be a bus to the road end, but probably very inconvenient). Ferry and tourist bus to the Cape Wrath Lighthouse. You can plan from Edinburgh airport using this. You may need to put in intermediate destinations, as you probably need to overnight. (Or from Glasgow...everything just seems easier to me from this side of the country, but it may not be,)

https://www.traveline.info/

We may be going Cape Wrath way in October as they have re-measured a new Sub 2000 hill there, and it appears to have the correct criteria to be a new Marilyn Aaaargh. At the moment intending to take the Cape Wrath bus and getting off.

From Durness to ferry terminal is just over 2 miles. Ferry times vary with the tides and you can only find out from a notice at the terminal, or by phoning the guy 07719544207
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Postby walkingpoles » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:20 pm

I did it in september, so no first hand experience.

Be aware of the shorter days, which may result in shorter mileage, hence more days and food. Walking in the dark is often not possible.

Food resupply is basically the same as during summer. Check with the shop in Kinlochewe whether they have the fuel cartridges you need.

I'd consider to stay a night at the Rhiconich hotel or similar before embarking for the cape. That way you can stash most of your food (and the tent, there are enough bothies) for the first two days.

The ferry and bus services are not known to be extremely reliable. Walking to the cape is also an option.
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby mrssanta » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:46 pm

the weather in october can be gorgeous or atrocious or both. but at least there won't be midges
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Sgurr » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:23 pm

You need to take another look at the website as some firing times are now posted for September.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Postby mynthdd2 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:03 am

You will also need a good supply of maps - the trail is not way marked....check the OS website for the maps you will need (1:50000 is fine)
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby abs70 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:04 pm

I walked it last year at the end of Nov and start of Dec. It took me 18 days all told, but that included a day coming back from the Cape – the bus wasn’t running so I walked in, bothied at Kervaig then walked out again. The biggest problem was river crossings – it rained heavily and even small streams became a real challenge. Several times I went up in to my waist. And not just in rivers – in a couple of bogs too.
The short days could be a problem – and I misjudged it badly a couple of times, but starting before dawn means you can get the miles in if need be. On the plus side, the bothies are usually empty.
I pre-booked three hotels and sent supply packages on ahead which meant I didn’t have to carry the food.
As for getting to the start, I stayed over night in Fort William then got the ferry across first thing, which meant I got a full days walking in on the first day.
And don’t under-estimate how long it takes to get back. It took a day just to get to the railhead at Lairg.
I think it was just the wet ground that was the main problem. A lot of it is very boggy so definitely take poles. I’d also think about taking a Spot3 or similar (I rented one). At that time of year I saw very few people and a twisted ankle would have been a disaster.
Good luck with it though. It’s a blinding walk
abs70
Mountain Walker

Munros:167   
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Postby mynthdd2 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:22 pm

good suggestion about the SPOT - I believe leg injuries are the most common mishaps that potentially lead to a loss of blood etc - so having a SPOT is my backup...
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion