walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

what is attacking me this month

what is attacking me this month

Postby mikebeattie1 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:57 pm

hi all
i think i need to start match the hatch so to speak ...ok all summer i put up with the ticks and the midges .. last month i survived the clegs (one bad day in shorts never again ) so this month i've no idea what they are can anyone help they are like craps with wings :D ..they have two forward legs that are like claws i say this because they can really hold on and not easily flicked off .. they have four back legs a set of wings and are brown in colour .. although i haven't been bitten or stung by them you can feel them crawl about you .. anyone know what they are called :clap:
mikebeattie1
Mountaineer

Munros:168   Corbetts:52
Fionas:52   
Sub 2000:14   

Re: what is attacking me this month

Postby auldal » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:00 pm

Could be the keds coming out, though I've never had the pleasure myself
auldal
Rock-climber

Munros:255   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1

Postby jmarkb » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:10 pm

jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Coop » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:50 pm

Could be the cousins of Aragog
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:57+18
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby mikebeattie1 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:12 pm

thats exactly what they keds ..thanks for the link i never new they could be so nasty ..here is hoping ive not been bitten
thanks all
mikebeattie1
Mountaineer

Munros:168   Corbetts:52
Fionas:52   
Sub 2000:14   

Postby Old Bill » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:44 am

I was 'accompanied' by literally 100s or 1000s of these on me up Meall Bhuide, as I wrote at the time: https://anicewalk.wordpress.com/2015/01/02/skye-and-knoydart-september-4014-4/#6

"As mentioned the keds had been constant all the way up and although tedious and irritating they weren’t a real problem and I’d almost got used to them. But on the top here there was nothing less than a swarm of them. Suddenly I had dozens and dozens of them all over me, a plague of Biblical proportions! Sort of. On my arms, chest, face, in my hair, in my ears, in my mouth when I opened it to curse them… I’d never seen so many things on me all at one time. I wouldn’t have been surprised if there were hundreds of them. And they were coming back as quickly as I was frantically brushing them off. No place for a rest then and after stopping for less than a minute I was forced to carry on. I felt like a cartoon character being chased by bees running off to the nearest pond! By now I was not a fan of these little blighters."

Thankfully though, I believe they're only interested in deer. If these had been biters I don't think I would made back alive!
Old Bill
Wanderer

Munros:51   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:10   

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:12 pm

Old Bill wrote:Thankfully though, I believe they're only interested in deer. If these had been biters I don't think I would made back alive!

Generally, they PREFER deer. And thank God they do. I had encountered them many times when on the hills and they were just annoying, wriggling into hair, ears etc. Never got bitten. But two weeks ago when descending a local Graham, Carn na Coinnich (Glen Strathconon), we were attacked by a swarm of keds and I was bitten twice on my arm. Ended up with two red and very itchy lumps for about a week, treated them with antihistamine cream and eventually they disappeared. So it looks like keds do bite humans (and panthers :wink: ), just not very often...
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby rgallie » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:03 pm

Encountered loads of these in the Fannichs, I found rolling them off with the palm of my hand worked best.
rgallie
Munro compleatist

Munros:69   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Old Bill » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:26 pm

BlackPanther wrote:
Old Bill wrote:Thankfully though, I believe they're only interested in deer. If these had been biters I don't think I would made back alive!

Generally, they PREFER deer. And thank God they do. I had encountered them many times when on the hills and they were just annoying, wriggling into hair, ears etc. Never got bitten. But two weeks ago when descending a local Graham, Carn na Coinnich (Glen Strathconon), we were attacked by a swarm of keds and I was bitten twice on my arm. Ended up with two red and very itchy lumps for about a week, treated them with antihistamine cream and eventually they disappeared. So it looks like keds do bite humans (and panthers :wink: ), just not very often...

Ahh - I was just going off on what the ranger at the Long Beach campsite on Knoydart told me when I got back. Along with a "hmmmm they're out early this year...." !
But Ouch! I bet they can really nip if they want to. Hopefully word won't get round that humans are easier to bite then deer!
Old Bill
Wanderer

Postby Old Bill » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:27 pm

rgallie wrote:Encountered loads of these in the Fannichs, I found rolling them off with the palm of my hand worked best.

Amazing what rough treatment they can survive though!
Old Bill
Wanderer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion