walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Ben Klibreck wild camping

Ben Klibreck wild camping

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:43 pm

Quick query folks.

Got a long weekend from work (yayyyy) and looking to bag Ben Klibreck. Weather permitting I'm looking to do a bit of wild camping.

So, driving up Friday. Overnight camp. Bag Klibreck on the Saturday. Overnight. Drive home Sunday.

Any top tips for camping in that area? Secluded beaches? Undiscovered spots?. Great nearby pubs within stumbling distance etc?

Any advice and tips gratefully received as ever.

Thanks.

LF
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Re: Ben Klibreck wild camping

Postby Andy J » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:38 pm

Lightfoot2017 wrote:Any top tips for camping in that area? Secluded beaches? Undiscovered spots?. Great nearby pubs within stumbling distance etc?

I'd be surprised if you get many responses. Undiscovered spots and secluded beaches don't stay that way for long when people publish their locations on the net.
Andy J
Scrambler

Postby jmarkb » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:45 pm

Looks like you can camp at the Crask Inn, which has a good reputation as a pub: https://thecraskinn.com/
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:16 pm

Andy J wrote:
Lightfoot2017 wrote:Any top tips for camping in that area? Secluded beaches? Undiscovered spots?. Great nearby pubs within stumbling distance etc?

I'd be surprised if you get many responses. Undiscovered spots and secluded beaches don't stay that way for long when people publish their locations on the net.

Perhaps. Perhaps not. But one of the great things about this site is that WH'ers ARE for the most part prepared to help like-minded folks to seek and find the best of Scotland's remote rural areas.

Pretty sure that can be done on here without any of us risking these places being over run any time soon.
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Postby Essan » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:40 pm

Well pub-wise, the Crask is the first and only option - but well worth a visit
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Postby Holly » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:14 pm

The Crask used to let campers use their gardens and in return those kindly campers would buy a pint or two in the pub, or even book for a meal in their small, cozy, informal and quite fantastic wee restaurant. They used to have set times for dinner and everybody went in to the dining room at the same time. Its changed hands but I believe its still as unique and wonderful. You can leave from there to do Ben Klibreck as well to meet the ridge.
Holly
Munro compleatist

Munros:240   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby mrssanta » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:20 pm

we parked at Vagastie bridge and walked up the path just a few hundred metres and found a nice sheltered and fairly secluded camp spot a wee way off the path.
But it was quite a distance from the Crask Inn, not much in the way of night life there!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Old Stag » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:36 am

Think I was last up there in 2015. I camped outside the Crask Inn for free ( walked in from Lairg hungover). Then up and down Ben Klibreck from Vagastie Bridge and on to just north of Altnaharra where a large thing roared outside my tent for most of the night.
Th next day I walked to Tongue and stayed at the hostel.
Old Stag

Postby kevsbald » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:50 pm

If you ignore the pub element, continue to walk East from summit of Klibreck and then down the ridge to the memorial. From there, a descent into that glen is a remarkably isolated position - you could camp there overnight beside the loch, with a nice walk back out and up towards the Crask. Take some beer and enjoy the solitude. https://munromadness.blogspot.com/2014/09/meall-nan-con-ben-klibreck.html - hope Paul ok with me posting to my blog but if he's not, he'll soon tell me.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion