walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

How do I find out wind speed?

How do I find out wind speed?

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:25 pm

Hoping that some experienced WH'ers will be able to help me with this query.

What was the wind speed at the summit of Ben Klibreck today?

I'm just back from bagging BK. I reached the summit at 12noon. And conditions were THE.MOST.DIFFICULT I've ever experienced in all the Munros I've done. :shock: It was blowing a storm up there. I'm 6ft and almost 16st and I was being buffetted about like a frail old wifie. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I was keeching it at the summit...really worried about standing up in case I got blown off the top. :roll:

Walking back down INTO the wind was a huge struggle too. Amazed I made it in one piece.

Is there any way of finding out how blowy it was up there today?

Any help gratefully received, as ever.

LF.
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Re: How do I find out wind speed?

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:27 pm

PS. And before Caberfeidh or some other smart Alick comes out with it... No, I DON'T have my own personal anemometer! :?
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:44 pm

I've never found a quick and easy way. The MWIS website has a scale with descriptions based on the Beaufort scale, but with reference to difficulty of walking.

http://www.mwis.org.uk/forecast-wind

Gusts can be much stronger than the mean though. I was once out on the Drumochter hill on a day when the Cairngorm Weather station recorded a gust of 150mph...there were times that day when we couldn't crawl, and one moment when whilst lying down I couldn't bend my leg to reach my foot to tighten a loose crampon strap. In retrospect, it was silly being up there, but it was a very rounded bit of hill, close to the road, and it was actually great fun!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby prog99 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:00 pm

Not really unless you have a portable anemometer or are on a hill with a weather station. Unfortunately theres not one near where you were. Looks like it was gusting around 60mph on cairngorm - http://www.weathercast.co.uk/world-weather/weather-stations/obsid/3065.html

We've one of these which can provide some entertainment at times.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Backpacker » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:37 pm

I tend to check the Met office website. They do summit specific forecasts including the mean wind speed as well as gusting speed.
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:117
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby al78 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:18 pm

Sounds like around 50-60 mph sustained, with higher gusts.

I once went up Lochnagar with a hand held anemometer on a cloudy and breezy day. I recorded gusts up to about 50 mph, and I was definitely being buffeted by those gusts, but I weighed less than 10 stone at 6 ft, significantly less than you. Big people are better at withstanding high winds than small people.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Sgurr » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:00 pm

Met a woman in the Borders once who had one of those things prog99 displayed. Think they can be wildly inaccurate, as she claimed the wind was 60mph at the summit, yet she had no difficulty standing up. She took it out to show us, and a couple of hundred metres away, it had already dropped to 35 mph. We got one of our own later, as they aren't wildly expensive, but it really seems to give erratic readings.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Sgurr » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:17 pm

Highest wind (excluding gusts) that the met office forecast for Ben Hope (doesn't give Klibreck) today was 41 mph. i.e. on the Beaufort Scale "Gale Force generally impedes progress."

However, from your description it seemed stronger. That, of course was their FORECAST and they won't have anything up there measuring.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Robinho08 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:03 am

In my experience when wind gusts start approaching and exceeding 50mph it becomes difficult.
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby Ben Nachie » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:17 am

If you are being eaten alive by midges it's not windy enough. If you can't stand up it's too windy.

I reckon that's all you need to know.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:13 pm

Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:14 pm

Lightfoot2017 wrote:PS. And before Caberfeidh or some other smart Alick...

:shock:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Tinman » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:46 pm

Ben Nachie wrote:If you are being eaten alive by midges it's not windy enough. If you can't stand up it's too windy.

I reckon that's all you need to know.

That’s good enough for me 👍
Tinman
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:134   

Postby ChrisButch » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:41 am

This doesn't answer your question, since it's a forecast rather than historical observation, but I've found this site to be the best for wind info:
https://www.windy.com/?56.957,7.075,5

It's also very pretty!
ChrisButch

Postby Dave Hewitt » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:47 pm

Mal Grey wrote:I was once out on the Drumochter hill on a day when the Cairngorm Weather station recorded a gust of 150mph...there were times that day when we couldn't crawl, and one moment when whilst lying down I couldn't bend my leg to reach my foot to tighten a loose crampon strap. In retrospect, it was silly being up there, but it was a very rounded bit of hill, close to the road, and it was actually great fun!

Similarly I once had a day on Ben Chonzie from the Lednock side (14 March 2009) when even crawling wasn't feasible at times. Got to the top OK, staying upright even though it was already very windy. Then had a bite to eat at the cairn during which time the windspeed increased significantly, plus the return leg (heading SW) was into the teeth of it. The first couple of hundred horizontal metres took 20 minutes and included lengthy spells of being just stuck. Was slushy underfoot/underknee so not very pleasant. Eventually managed to crawl/scuttle round to the left in a few lulls and then use the slope to give a bit of shelter and allow progress. Checked the weather reports when I got down and there'd been a gust of around 125mph at Glen Ogle, which fits with what Mal says re his own experience. It was certainly memorable, and just about still fun in its way, but my main thought was that had I been 300m higher, on the Cairngorm plateau with ice rather than slush and some proper cliffs around, then I might well not have survived it.

Big dome-like hills often seem to catch the biggest winds - Chonzie and Drumochter fit the bill, and the second-windiest outing I've had was on Skiddaw from the north - oddly exactly the same height, 931m, as Chonzie and a similar type of hill with not much in the way of corries to break up the wind which then just screams over the summit slopes unhindered. There's not really anywhere to hide on hills like that in those kind of conditions.

I've had four or five other crawling days over the years, and plenty of others when I've substantially changed the route to get the wind behind me particularly in descent. Hard to put precise figures on it but I tend to think that up to 60-70mph you should be able to stay on your feet although probably not progress in a straight line, and moments when you have to brace yourself against the gusts will come into play. Maybe 80-90mph it's a crawling job, and above 100 even crawling is going to be problematic as per my Chonzie and Mal's Drumochter days.
Dave Hewitt
Mountaineer

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion